Poll: Priests are

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave_in_Dallas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave_in_Dallas

Guest
Wife and I had a discussion about how most Catholics view their priests… Curious to see what folks think.
 
Your question is much too vague. I think you need to give a little context.

And, also, do you mean our *particular *parish priest, *priests *in general, or the *office *of the priesthood?

I don’t get what you are driving at.
 
The three priests I know ( one parish priest, one hospital chaplin, one university professor) are all HOLY people and yet personable, real, patient, funny, and down to earth. They are indeed a light shining on the hill. Thank God!
 
I like my parish priests. We have three and I enjoy listening to their homilies and have found that they are all approachable. :heaven: :harp:
 
LOL… I guess the poll didn’t attach… 😛 There was supposed to be a poll attached!

Options should have been something like

a) Priests are like every other person, there’s good ones and bad ones, and they aren’t any holier than anyone else.
b) Ideally priests are called to be holier than the laity, and to serve the church and community.
c) Priests are to be revered and given special consideration in all things as they represent Christ the Bishop and the Church.
d) Priests through their celebacy and ordination are given gifts by the holy spirit to be Jesus here on earth and are nearly sinless and holy such that even to give the power of healing by just touching their robs.
 
My parish has three priests; a pastor, the parochial vicar, and a priest in residence. I’ve had the chance to talk with all three, and found that I have a great trust in all of them. They are all willing to give advice when it is asked for. It’s also nice that they have a sense of humor, and are very open minded.
 
My parish has 2 Priests, and they are awesome. They truly represent the priesthood, and there dedication is a true testament for there love to the church and Christ.

Amazing is all I got to say.
 
The options you provided are not mutually exclusive. Priests are called to be especially holy - “from him to whom more is given, more shall be expected” - they do have special gifts due to their ordination - though perhaps not all use them -, and they deserve special respect because of their office. They are in persona Christi when celebrating Mass, Confession, etc. All of them are sinners like the rest of us, some are quite holy and some are not. Did I hit all of your options?

It’s not like it’s a matter of opinion, the Church tells us these things.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top