Poor Quality Catholic Bibles!

  • Thread starter Thread starter jamison
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP’s dilemma is artificial. Why? Because his ideal bible has quality limp leather binding. That is a specialty of Protestant bibles. Why? Because they carry them all over the place: it is their faith-in-a-book. Catholics do not use Bibles the same, so therefore do not order from publishers the same. Another point; so called family heirloom bibles would always be considered hard backs not limp covers. There are many Catholic, quality bound, family heirloom bibles available. Again; If you ask any book binder, he will tell you that a hard back book will always outlast a limp cover bound book.

So the OP basically wants a quality Protestant style Catholic Bible. There may be some out there, but his best bet would be to have a quality binder do his own favorite bible.

My approach is to find the editions I want first, and have them either restored or rebound by my bookbinder (yes, I have my own quality bookbinder that does all of my books.) Anyone that really cares about quality binding and books, the way the OP says he does, should hook up with one. 🙂
 
I’m a new Catholic who came from a Protestant background. Some o you may know my conversion story as it was talked about on here and I’m sure it’s searchable. Scripture has always been important to me. I just recently bought a new NRSV bible with the apocrypha from Cambridge. The bible is bound in a French Morocco leather cover. While the quality is good, it is not up to Cambridge’s finer standards. The cover is stiff instead of soft and supple. It does not have a leather lining. For an msrp of $140, this is dissapointing. I have a nkjv as well as couple kjv goatskin Bibles from Cambridge that have much nicer covers and lining. I have also a NASB bound in the finest calfskin from as well as some Nelson signature series. The covers on theese are a beauty to behold. Finally I have an ESV by RL. Allen, considered to be the finest bible maker in the world.
My problem is now that I’m a Catholic, a Bible of this quality is nowhere to be found. I can purchase a nrsv from rl allans but it lacks the apocrypha. It is disturbing that a heirloom quality Catholic bible seems unattainable. Is It only me who is bothered by this? Are Catholics simply less concerned about a quality bible? It seems I will be forced to carry a Protestant version as it’s the only quality bible up to par. Something needs to be done about this.
If anyone knows of any Catholic bible that is published in a quality goatskin non hardcover and signature bound, please inform me. It seems Catholics just don’t produce finer quality bibles and Im forced to use a Protestant translation.
Hmmm, I have never spent $140 on a Bible. Maybe I do not know what I am missing? I use the Bible found below. It has a soft cover, and you can lay it on the table and it will actually stay on the page you are reading. I would be interested to hear your opinion on the quality of this particular Bible. I have had it for two years and, though I don’t believe I use it as much as you, it has held up very well.
amazon.com/Ignatius-Bible-Revised-Standard-Catholic/dp/0898708338/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256141403&sr=8-2
 
Hmmm, I have never spent $140 on a Bible. Maybe I do not know what I am missing? I use the Bible found below. It has a soft cover, and you can lay it on the table and it will actually stay on the page you are reading. I would be interested to hear your opinion on the quality of this particular Bible. I have had it for two years and, though I don’t believe I use it as much as you, it has held up very well.
amazon.com/Ignatius-Bible-Revised-Standard-Catholic/dp/0898708338/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256141403&sr=8-2
Sorry, I wasn’t thorough in my previous post, that link was to a hard cover version of the RSV-CE. Here is the correct link to the leather bound version:
amazon.com/Ignatius-Bible-Revised-Standard-Catholic/dp/0898709369/ref=ed_oe_o
 
Uhm, I have plenty of limp leather Catholic prayer books and a Bible made that way. They are older for the most part however.

The Catholic book publishing business has had its hard times too along with everything else since the 60’s.

I believe Angelus Press has a soft-leather covered Bible with ribbons.
 
The OP’s dilemma is artificial. Why? Because his ideal bible has quality limp leather binding. That is a specialty of Protestant bibles. Why? Because they carry them all over the place: it is their faith-in-a-book. Catholics do not use Bibles the same, so therefore do not order from publishers the same.
So the OP basically wants a quality Protestant style Catholic Bible.
(Edited) I can assure you that many Catholics do take their bible “all over the place”. Every leading Catholic Apologist has a Bible with him at all times. See if Dr. Scott Hahn has a Bible on him at all times (this is in his blog) or Patrick Madrid or Tim Staples. I could go on and on. Theese are people winning souls to the Church. Perhaps its about having the Holy Scripture with you so as to evangelize better. (Edited)

As for those who would not wish to pay $140 for a bible, that is fine, Id rather pay a one time fee for something that will last than buying 3 $40 Bibles a year because they fall apart.
 
I’m shocked at the backlash towards the suggestion that we need better quality soft cover bibles. If that’s the case (I haven’t checked, I’m looking now for a prem hard cover) then that is the case and we need a publisher or multiples of them to get on the ball. I would ask particularly my fellow catholics to settle down, we should all have bibles with us. it doesn’t make us less catholic to have bibles with us, it makes us better catholics. Scripture is one of 3 legs to our stool, strengthing any one of them makes them all stronger.

Cradle Catholic talking here, thanks folks.
 
I’m shocked at the backlash towards the suggestion that we need better quality soft cover bibles. If that’s the case (I haven’t checked, I’m looking now for a prem hard cover) then that is the case and we need a publisher or multiples of them to get on the ball. I would ask particularly my fellow catholics to settle down, we should all have bibles with us. it doesn’t make us less catholic to have bibles with us, it makes us better catholics. Scripture is one of 3 legs to our stool, strengthing any one of them makes them all stronger.

Cradle Catholic talking here, thanks folks.
Thanks brother. I too have been a little shocked to this.
 
Been there. Not sure if you actually read my post. There is nothing of top quality there that is Catholic. Thanks for the reply anyway.
Did you try an actual catholic bookstore (as in not online)? They sometimes have some nice ones. Or, as someone else suggested, you could just buy a Bible and rebind it. Have had that done to one of my Bibles, works wonderfully.

Hope this helps!
 
The main problem is that there are very few, if any, Catholic bibles made with
premium leather covers and quality bindings. I for one, a cradle Catholic, would
pay for a specifically Catholic edition of the rsv or nrsv, with crossreferences, that
was made in premium goatskin leather and excellent binding. I want a Bible
that I can carry around, use, and reverence for the rest of my life. For me, that
simply will not be the case with a paperback or bonded leather cover. And other
than a few editions of the nrsv and an oxford rsv edition, there simply is nothing
available.
 
I’m shocked at the backlash towards the suggestion that we need better quality soft cover bibles. If that’s the case (I haven’t checked, I’m looking now for a prem hard cover) then that is the case and we need a publisher or multiples of them to get on the ball. I would ask particularly my fellow catholics to settle down, we should all have bibles with us. it doesn’t make us less catholic to have bibles with us, it makes us better catholics. Scripture is one of 3 legs to our stool, strengthing any one of them makes them all stronger.

Cradle Catholic talking here, thanks folks.
Agree 100%
 
This post reaks of arrogance on many levels. This is not a thread to insult protestants, or Catholics for that matter. I can assure you that many Catholics do take their bible “all over the place”. Every leading Catholic Apologist has a Bible with him at all times. See if Dr. Scott Hahn has a Bible on him at all times (this is in his blog) or Patrick Madrid or Tim Staples. I could go on and on. Theese are people winning souls to the Church. Perhaps its about having the Holy Scripture with you so as to evangelize better. I wonder how many people you are reaching for the church with such a judgmental outlook.

As for those who would not wish to pay $140 for a bible, that is fine, Id rather pay a one time fee for something that will last than buying 3 $40 Bibles a year because they fall apart.
(Edited) My comments were just an explanation for why publishers do not carry the exact type of Bible you find so important and necessary. I also gave you some tips on how to have the Bible of your dreams, but that doesn’t really interest you. No, you’re more interested in whining about what you think is a big problem when it isn’t.

As far as Scott Hahn et. al. are concerned, I doubt if they waste their time (Edited) about how hard it is to find a good Catholic Bible.

Why don’t you buy a publisher and print a good quality bible (Edited) and solve the problem! :rolleyes:
 
What the post reeks of is impatience at the supposed lack of quality Catholic bibles. You don’t seem to care what anyone has to say if it upsets your preconceived ideas of no good Catholic Bibles. My comments were just an explanation for why publishers do not carry the exact type of Bible you find so important and necessary. I also gave you some tips on how to have the Bible of your dreams, but that doesn’t really interest you. No, you’re more interested in whining about what you think is a big problem when it isn’t.

As far as Scott Hahn et. al. are concerned, I doubt if they waste their time whining to their audiences about how hard it is to find a good Catholic Bible.

Why don’t you buy a publisher and print a good quality bible with expensive limp leather covers that you are so enamored of, and solve the problem! :rolleyes:
Clearly you read that more than I have this issue. It obviously bothers you enough to come post on a thread as well. This is the Internet where people voice their wants an concerns. I don’t want to have to rebinding a book and wait months. I think Catholics should have the option of purchasing a fine Bible just like everyone else. Obviously others share my opinion. I don’t consider that “whining”. If you don’t like it, too bad. Just because you see no reason for fine Catholic Bibles or for a Catholic to even carry a Bible around, does not mean you need to demean your fellow brothers or sisters who do. Your attitude is completely unbecoming of a Christian.
 
Clearly you read that more than I have this issue. It obviously bothers you enough to come post on a thread as well. This is the Internet where people voice their wants an concerns. I don’t want to have to rebinding a book and wait months. I think Catholics should have the option of purchasing a fine Bible just like everyone else. Obviously others share my opinion. I don’t consider that “whining”. If you don’t like it, too bad. Just because you see no reason for fine Catholic Bibles or for a Catholic to even carry a Bible around, does not mean you need to demean your fellow brothers or sisters who do. Your attitude is completely unbecoming of a Christian.
I would be interested in your response to my post (#23). Have you seen this Bible before? What is your opinion?
 
Sorry, I wasn’t thorough in my previous post, that link was to a hard cover version of the RSV-CE. Here is the correct link to the leather bound version:
amazon.com/Ignatius-Bible-Revised-Standard-Catholic/dp/0898709369/ref=ed_oe_o
How’s the translation on this one? I think a protistant convert in my bible study has this one and he seems to like it. I’m looking for a bible with a little “better” translation than the NAB. Not that I’m “hating” on the nab here, I like it fine. But I think some of the “logical”/“contextual” translations they made kind of detract from certain passages.
 
I wonder if Mother Teresa used a leather bound Bible that fit her specifications? What would she have paid for a Bible? My guess is that it didn’t matter to her, and she likely used a quite inexpensive Bible.

If I were walking around evangelizing I would want to carry a Bible I could give to someone who seemed receptive, and say “Here, take my Bible, the Word of God, a gift from me to you.” That is the reason why I suggested in my first post that the OP “split the difference” and buy several less expensive Bibles to share with those in need of the Word.
 
I wonder if Mother Teresa used a leather bound Bible that fit her specifications? What would she have paid for a Bible? My guess is that it didn’t matter to her, and she likely used a quite inexpensive Bible.

If I were walking around evangelizing I would want to carry a bible I could give to someone who seemed receptive, and say “Here, take my Bible, the Word of God, a gift from me to you.” That is the reason why I suggested in my first post that the OP “split the difference” and buy several less expensive Bibles to share with those in need of the Word.

"For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be"
I bet you mother probably bought whatever bible she felt best met her needs, which is exactly what the OP wants to do. I’m also willing to bet Mother Teresa’s needs and the OP’s needs aren’t entirly similar.
 
How’s the translation on this one? I think a protistant convert in my bible study has this one and he seems to like it. I’m looking for a bible with a little “better” translation than the NAB. Not that I’m “hating” on the nab here, I like it fine. But I think some of the “logical”/“contextual” translations they made kind of detract from certain passages.
I prefer this translation to the NAB. I also have a Douay Rheims and an NAB. I find it interesting to compare translations. For example, Psalm 23 is very jarring to me in the Douay Rheims translation. However 1 Corinthians 13:13 is translated as “…faith, hope and love…” but the Douay Rheims uses “…faith, hope and charity…”. To me, charity is a more specific kind of love and offers more meat than simply “love”. After all, I love my wife …but I also love pulled pork BBQ. 🙂
 
I prefer this translation to the NAB. I also have a Douay Rheims and an NAB. I find it interesting to compare translations. For example, Psalm 23 is very jarring to me in the Douay Rheims translation. However 1 Corinthians 13:13 is translated as “…faith, hope and love…” but the Douay Rheims uses “…faith, hope and charity…”. To me, charity is a more specific kind of love and offers more meat than simply “love”. After all, I love my wife …but I also love pulled pork BBQ. 🙂
Hmmm, I might give that bible you recommended a serious look. I’d kind of like a Douay Rheims version, but unfortunetly they’re all so expensive that I couldn’t just buy one with out discussing it with my fiance… Since they’re all pretty much expensive enough that they’re really more “family bible” contenders that they are “personal bible” options.

Of course then the Douay Rheims has the issue that my Fiance really dislikes (strongly) black & gold. She really want’s white and gold, and in that category we’ve seen far better packages at least in terms of looks and what she wants. Mainly what I want is a good translation to work with. Particularly for apologetics, which is where the NAB is more defincient (not as much in terms for personal education I would argue though).
 
Hmmm, I might give that bible you recommended a serious look. I’d kind of like a Douay Rheims version, but unfortunetly they’re all so expensive that I couldn’t just buy one with out discussing it with my fiance… Since they’re all pretty much expensive enough that they’re really more “family bible” contenders that they are “personal bible” options.

Of course then the Douay Rheims has the issue that my Fiance really dislikes (strongly) black & gold. She really want’s white and gold, and in that category we’ve seen far better packages at least in terms of looks and what she wants. Mainly what I want is a good translation to work with. Particularly for apologetics, which is where the NAB is more defincient (not as much in terms for personal education I would argue though).
I found a white Douay Rheims for about $50 at:
getfed.com/discount-catholic/465/Douay-Rheims/?aid=185
If you seriously want to get into Apologetics than you really need to become familiar with more of the Protestant translations…although I have found that there is less and less difference in the translations now a days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top