S
salvereginadude
Guest
I attend a LCMS high school, currently in our religion class (which usually teaches correct and orthodox Christian truths) we’ve been having a unit in Church history. But there’s something I’ve been confused about. In learning about the Christian persecution under Emperor Decius, our religion teacher told us that Pope “Cyprian” would not let those Christians who had given in under pressure from the forces of the Emperor and renounced their Christianity back into the Church without performing penance and good works (he claimed this was the “beginning” of the “notion” of penance in the Roman Church, which would later lead to purgatory, indulgences, and other Church doctrines Protestants consider abusive). I’m sure the Pope at the time probably had good reasons for the lapsed to perform penance, but this isn’t the issure I’m having. I’m wondering if there ever was a Pope named “Cyprian.” I’ve never heard of a Pope named Cyprian. I’ve researched it online and I couldn’t find a single Pope with the name Cyprian. I know there was a *St. Cyprian *who worked closely with Pope Cornelius. Do you think my teacher could have gotten the names confused not knowing the proper history of the Catholic Church? One of the reasons Protestants don’t realize the truth and validity of the Church is because they will not properly look and analyze history and see that from its very beginnings the Church has always been Catholic.