M
Marc_Anthony
Guest
WHAT JUST HAPPENED.
I am honestly completely shocked.
telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/8148944/The-Pope-drops-Catholic-ban-on-condoms-in-historic-shift.html
Pope Benedict is saying that condom usage is acceptable in certain individual situations, even if they are very rare. But according to natural law theology, this CAN’T be true. A sin is ALWAYS a sin, no matter what; according to the natural law, even LYING is always wrong in every circumstance.
This seems to indicate a major shift from natural law theology.
If this is true I’ll have to seriously reconsider my faith, because I’m a Catholic because of Thomas Aquinas and his natural law theology.
Does somebody have an explanation here? Am I missing something?
I am honestly completely shocked.
telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/8148944/The-Pope-drops-Catholic-ban-on-condoms-in-historic-shift.html
…While he restated the Catholic Church’s staunch objections to contraception because it believes that it interferes with the creation of life, he argued that using a condom to preserve life and avoid death could be a responsible act – even outside marriage.
Asked whether “the Catholic Church is not fundamentally against the use of condoms,” he replied: “It of course does not see it as a real and moral solution. In certain cases, where the intention is to reduce the risk of infection, it can nevertheless be a first step on the way to another, more humane sexuality.”
He stressed that abstinence was the best policy in fighting the disease but in some circumstances it was better for a condom to be used if it protected human life.
“There may be justified individual cases, for example when a male prostitute uses a condom, where this can be … a first bit of responsibility, to redevelop the understanding that not everything is permitted and that one may not do everything one wishes.
First reactions:“But it is not the proper way to deal with the horror of HIV infection.”
- Are people done complaining about how liberal Pope John Paul II is now?
- I am stunned and confused because this seems to be a HUGE shift away from Natural Law theology.
Pope Benedict is saying that condom usage is acceptable in certain individual situations, even if they are very rare. But according to natural law theology, this CAN’T be true. A sin is ALWAYS a sin, no matter what; according to the natural law, even LYING is always wrong in every circumstance.
This seems to indicate a major shift from natural law theology.
If this is true I’ll have to seriously reconsider my faith, because I’m a Catholic because of Thomas Aquinas and his natural law theology.
Does somebody have an explanation here? Am I missing something?