Pope Francis explains to America Magazine why women cannot be ordained priests

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s pleasing to see CNA referencing America Magazine.

Pope Francis noted that a theology of the Marian principle needs to be developed further.

“This is an abbreviated explanation, but I wanted to highlight the two theological principles: the Petrine principle and the Marian principle that make up the Church. Therefore, that the woman does not enter into the ministerial life is not a deprivation. No. Your place is that which is much more important and which we have yet to develop, the catechesis about women in the way of the Marian principle,” he said.

I think we are in a perfect place to develop this Marian principle which may have been difficult and stifled in the past by cultural and institutional patriarchy and misogyny.

I am very inspired by the reiteration by Pope Francis of traditional Catholic doctrine on the impossibility of the ordination of women to the priesthood. His citation of the “Petrine principle” as opposed to the “Marian principle” might be considered a legitimate development of doctrine, and reminds me of Paul VI’s invoking the natural law to explain why contraception is intrinsically disordered.

Needless to say, this is a very “politically incorrect” position, and one we share with the Orthodox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back