Pope on shared Easter date with Orthodox: Pick a date and we'll accept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pope Francis added that “2025 is an important year: We will celebrate the anniversary of the first Ecumenical Council (of Nicea), yet it is also important because we will celebrate Easter on the same date.”

For Catholics, it will also be an ordinary jubilee year. Easter that year, for both Catholics and Orthodox, is April 20, the third Sunday of April.

With such a convergence, the Pope proposed:

So let us have the courage to put an end to this division that at times makes us laugh: “When does your Christ rise again?” The sign we should give is: One Christ for all of us. Let us be courageous and search together: I’m willing, yet not me, the Catholic Church is willing to follow what Saint Paul VI said. Agree and we will go where you say. I dare even to express a dream: That the separation with the beloved Assyrian Church of the East, the longest in the history of the Church, can also be, please God, the first to be resolved.
It seems like such a simple thing to resolve but has taken such a long time. I look forward to that. I know that every year there is a shortage of chicken eggs on our supermarket shelves and then someone will remind us that it’s Greek Orthodox Easter. Although I have yet to google what they do with so many eggs.

Last edited:
Here’s a thought, if the Catholic Church did accept the Orthodox date for Easter, wouldn’t this put us at odds with all the Protestants who, presumably, would continue to calculate the date the same way Catholics do at present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back