Pope Quote

  • Thread starter Thread starter ABostonCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ABostonCatholic

Guest
Some of you have probably come across this quote before:
I am all in all and above all, so that God Himself and I, the Vicar of God, have but one consistory, and I am able to do almost all that God can do. What therefore can you make of me but God?
I have seen it attributed to Gregory IX, Boniface VIII, Nicholas (no number), and Nicholas V. A citation is never included. Does anyone know if this quote was actually said, and if so, where?
 
Some of you have probably come across this quote before:

I have seen it attributed to Gregory IX, Boniface VIII, Nicholas (no number), and Nicholas V. A citation is never included. Does anyone know if this quote was actually said, and if so, where?
If its never cited in its origin or cite the source, it’s probably not a official proclamation by any Pope. Those are made written by Anti-Catholic Protestants who want to make everyone think that Catholics think that the Pope is equal to God.

Basically, another Protestant lie.
 
Pope Nicholas assumed the title of God. His words are:—‘I am all in all and above all, so that God Himself, and I, the Vicar of God, hath both one consistory, and I am able to do almost all that God can do . . . Wherefore, if those things that I do be said not to be done of man, but of God. WHAT CAN YOU MAKE ME BUT GOD? Again, if prelates of the Church be called and counted of Constantine for gods, I then, being above all prelates, seem by this reason to be ABOVE ALL GODS. Wherefore, no marvel if it be in my power to dispense with all things, yea, with the precepts of Christ.’ See Decret. Par Distinct 96 Ch. 7 Edit Lugd. 1661.

?
Don’t know, doubt it is at the library 😃
 
Pope Nicholas assumed the title of God. His words are:—‘I am all in all and above all, so that God Himself, and I, the Vicar of God, hath both one consistory, and I am able to do almost all that God can do . . . Wherefore, if those things that I do be said not to be done of man, but of God. WHAT CAN YOU MAKE ME BUT GOD? Again, if prelates of the Church be called and counted of Constantine for gods, I then, being above all prelates, seem by this reason to be ABOVE ALL GODS. Wherefore, no marvel if it be in my power to dispense with all things, yea, with the precepts of Christ.’ See Decret. Par Distinct 96 Ch. 7 Edit Lugd. 1661.

?
Don’t know, doubt it is at the library 😃
Sounds pretty anti-Catholic Propraganda to me. Come to think of it, Vicar of Christ is no different than Vicar of God since Christ is God.

Vicar means a person who acts in place of another; substitute He is the visible head of the Holy Church. The servant of Servants, and the Servant of God.
 
I thought I smelled something fishy and it was Jack Chick Publications!:eek:

See here: Jack Chick Nonsense

If I read it in any of Mr. Chick’s literature, I know that it is untrue. He could say the sky was blue and I would automatically think I must be of a different color. 😉
 
BrianH, you and your source (which appears to be Ian Paisley’s book Antichrist) are in serious trouble if, as seems to be the case, they’re dating the quote to 1661. There have been no Popes named Nicholas since Nicholas V in 1455, some 200 years prior to the quote. The Pope in 1661 was in fact Alexander VII.

Besides which, note the wording. ‘I can do almost all that God can do’. Remember the powers that Christ gave to his Apostles - to forgive sins, bind and loose heaven, the keys of the kingdom of heaven - were pretty extensive. And that he said ‘all authority has been given to me by the Father’ and then ‘as the Father sent me, so am I sending you’, it wouldn’t have been too much of stretch, although highly arrogant, to say this of them. It’s not at all the same thing as saying that they assumed the title of God, though. Nor did whichever Pope this quote is attributed to.
 
QUOTE=LilyM;1962112]BrianH, you and your source (which appears to be Ian Paisley’s book Antichrist) are in serious trouble if, as seems to be the case, they’re dating the quote to 1661. There have been no Popes named Nicholas since Nicholas V in 1455, some 200 years prior to the quote. The Pope in 1661 was in fact Alexander VII.
Geez…can’t a guy google to answer a question around here
See if I try to be helpful around here!:rolleyes:
 
Geez…can’t a guy google to answer a question around here
See if I try to be helpful around here!:rolleyes:
It’s okay to 'fess up like a man, and take your lumps!

You were wrong and need to quit fishing around for anti-Catholic tripe. They only bite when the bait stinks.😉

Pax Christi
 
You were wrong to quote unsubstantiated (even yourself couldn’t source the quote) trash like the quote above your comment.
I clearly put a “?” and said “don’t know”
I was trying to be helpful and never once said I agreed with the content. The OP asked for a source and I gave one, and then put “?” and “don’t know”. You are rude.
You act like I was the first person to put the quote up there. The OP did! I only provided a “maybe” ie “don’t know” possibility of its origin.
:rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top