Pope says "shades of gray"?

  • Thread starter Thread starter milimac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

milimac

Guest
A recent newsletter published by a ministry group in our parish had this quote under “Some thoughts for reflection”:
“We will not serve the church well if we suggest that there is black and white where there may truly be various shades of gray.” (Pope Paul VI and Cardinal Avery Dulles)
Does anyone know the source of that quote? I agree with the quote, but unfortunately I often hear it by people trying to justify things such as abortion and contraception, where Church teaching is pretty black and white. If Pope Paul VI or Cardinal Avery Dulles did make such a quote, I’d like to read it in context of the document or speech in which it was given.

I requested this information from the publisher of the newsletter a week ago, but he has not replied.
 
Yes, I’ve searched there and the internet in general with Google, both with several different ways of searching, but turned up nothing.
 
I did a lot of searching and I did not find it. Certainly not attributed to either Cardinal Dulles or the Pope. While it’s possible it was an obscure comment about a specific thing, I am skeptical.
 
A recent newsletter published by a ministry group in our parish had this quote under “Some thoughts for reflection”:“We will not serve the church well if we suggest that there is black and white where there may truly be various shades of gray.” (Pope Paul VI and Cardinal Avery Dulles)
Does anyone know the source of that quote? I agree with the quote, but unfortunately I often hear it by people trying to justify things such as abortion and contraception, where Church teaching is pretty black and white. If Pope Paul VI or Cardinal Avery Dulles did make such a quote, I’d like to read it in context of the document or speech in which it was given.

I requested this information from the publisher of the newsletter a week ago, but he has not replied.

If it has a joint attribution, the quotation may be a summary rather than a quotation verbatim.​

 
Found this, thanks to a tip in a private message…

Not sure if this is what he was being referred to in our newsletter, but the article does contain Pope Paul VI, Avery Cardinal Dulles, and “shades of gray”, although that term is not used by the Holy Father nor the Cardinal, but by the person writing the article, Fr. William Graham: tomorrowstrust.ca/?p=111. I’m not exactly sure what point Fr. Graham is trying to make or if there’s more to the article than what the blogger published… I hope he’s not trying to say that definitive doctrine is actually ambiguous or that professors at Catholic universities should be free to teach against it, but I could see others with ulterior motives rationalizing to do just that. Regardless, I don’t think that’s the point the Holy Father or the Cardinal were trying to make.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top