Pope sends 7-minute video message to Pentecostal gathering [CWN]

  • Thread starter Thread starter CWN_News
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s based upon the following scripture.
Romans 8:26

Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)


***26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words. ***

That does not mean that we must pray in tongues, but that the Holy Spirit will supply the timing and proper intentions to all our prayers. Glossolalia is only one part of that and is the trademark of Pentecostalism.

The word of faith movement is not one that rings true to the Word of God. If we were meant to never have any problems or tribulations in our lives, then what was with all those martyrs in the first 300 years of our most holy faith? :eek:

We Catholics will surely be used by God to show them how Christians endure to the end when things go crazy in the world.

Still, it great that we have His Holiness speaking out as he has, though I feel sure that the hard shell a-Cs will jump on this like a bear on a hare. You can expect Mike Gendron to absolutely go off about it on his blog and in his next newsletter. :rolleyes: But what’s new about that? He goes off on everything that we do.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/3.gif
Thank you so much Church Militant. I appreciate the response, and I understand better what Mr. Copeland was saying/doing…

Peace in Christ…Teresa
 
As another poster said, it’s based on Romans 8:26. Pentecostals do believe that praying in tongues can be a means to pray the perfect will of the Father because the speaking in tongues is given “as the Spirit gives utterance.”

Most likely, Copeland was just being honest that he has no idea what kind of battles, challenges, and struggles the Pope goes through and rather than just pray a nice, respectful prayer in English that may not really cut to the real needs of the Pope, Copleand thought it would be appropriate for the congregation to offer a more direct and accurate form of intercession through praying in the Spirit.
Thank you Itwin, you explained this nicely…I understand.

Peace in Christ, Teresa
 
That is squirrley and I wonder what was edited out.
I watched the 45-minute version; I’ll check out the shorter version and get back to you this evening.
Okay, I watched the 22-minute version today, and what was cut was the whole first half, which consisted of Copeland’s introduction of Tony Palmer, and the first half (or so) of Palmer’s testimony, including how he came to faith in Christ, how he developed a relationship with Kenneth Copeland, how he developed a relationship with Pope Francis when he was Archbishop Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, and how it happened that Pope Francis called him to come visit him in the Vatican and offered to send a video greeting to the Copeland conference. It is unfortunate that the cut was made, because without that information the understanding of the relationship between Pope Francis and his “brother bishop” (Pope’s words) Palmer suffers. So does the understanding of the significance of this message.
 
Well, I told you guys this would happen and sure enough…

From Mike Gendron’s latest e-newsletter:
Pope Francis Seeks Unity with Charismatics
https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/p...ntcontact.com/fs182/1103609831924/img/171.jpg
More than a few eyebrows were raised when Pope Francis sent a video message to Word of Faith preacher, Kenneth Copeland and his congregation requesting they, as separated brothers, seek unity with the Catholic Church. In the video message, the pope said he was their brother in Christ and God will complete the miracle of unity. Using the story of Joseph, he described how Joseph’s separated brothers reunited with him as they were searching for food. Bishop Tony Parker declared: “Luther’s protest is over.” Copeland found this development incredible. He said, “Heaven is thrilled over this…You know what is so thrilling to me? When we went into the ministry 47 years ago, this was impossible.” Read more.
Mike’s comment: Since Catholicism teaches the Eucharist is necessary for the “fullness” of salvation, the pope was implying that Protestants must search for the food of eternal life and return to the Catholic Church for the Eucharist. Biblical prophecy reveals that all religions and apostate Christianity will unite as the harlot of Revelation. As this pope pushes hard for a global religion to be united under the papacy, we have a timely message on DVD that uncovers the Vatican’s ecumenical strategy and how Christians must contend against it.
 
No words can explain the stupidity of that article and the comments that followed.
Thanks Dronald. May God grant that you are the first of many millions of non-Catholics to have that same reaction.
The peace of the Lord be with you always. 🙂
 
I think this is great news. I watched the video on YouTube, and if you read some of the comments on the video some of them are very disturbing and twisted. there are some people that think that the Pope is the Antichrist in the world is going to end because of this. I’ve already witnessed someone cry and proclaim, “Jesus is coming soon! The whore of Babylon is on the move.” why do non catholics believe that idea?
 
I think this is great news. I watched the video on YouTube, and if you read some of the comments on the video some of them are very disturbing and twisted. there are some people that think that the Pope is the Antichrist in the world is going to end because of this. I’ve already witnessed someone cry and proclaim, “Jesus is coming soon! The whore of Babylon is on the move.” why do non catholics believe that idea?
Because they’ve been lied to, and they haven’t bothered to investigate the lies. “Mama taught it, and we bought it.”
 
I am new to this forum and this is actually my 2nd post. Like some, I too was very surprised by this video. During my wanderings a number of years away from the Catholic Church I landed in a Word of Faith church. For those who think there will be future unity amongst those who preach and believe WOF teachings and Catholics, unfortunately I think you will be disappointed.

To better understand the reason why I make this statement, do some research on the origins of the Word of Faith movement starting with Essek Kenyon, followed by Kenneth Hagin founder of the Rhema Bible College and spiritual father to many of the Trinity Broadcasting Network “health and wealth” preachers including Kenneth Copeland. A good research starting point is to view some of the youtube videos produced by the Justin Peters Ministry.
 
I was most perturbed by this. One of the reasons I am attracted to Catholicism is because of it’s healthy attitude towards various forms of suffering - Mr Copeland teaches that illness and ‘lack’ are always wrong and that faithful believers can expect to live free from such things. I also love the centrality of the eucharist - Copeland teaches that you can and should just take bread and juice by yourself at any old time in any circumstance. That’s before you even get to his abberant Christology

I applaud calls for Christian unity, but ultimately, Copeland has to reject a great swathe of his own teaching before that can realistically be more than just some feel-good stuff. I was more impressed by Ulf Ekman, tbh.
 
I am new to this forum and this is actually my 2nd post. Like some, I too was very surprised by this video. During my wanderings a number of years away from the Catholic Church I landed in a Word of Faith church. For those who think there will be future unity amongst those who preach and believe WOF teachings and Catholics, unfortunately I think you will be disappointed.

To better understand the reason why I make this statement, do some research on the origins of the Word of Faith movement starting with Essek Kenyon, followed by Kenneth Hagin founder of the Rhema Bible College and spiritual father to many of the Trinity Broadcasting Network “health and wealth” preachers including Kenneth Copeland. A good research starting point is to view some of the youtube videos produced by the Justin Peters Ministry.
I was most perturbed by this. One of the reasons I am attracted to Catholicism is because of it’s healthy attitude towards various forms of suffering - Mr Copeland teaches that illness and ‘lack’ are always wrong and that faithful believers can expect to live free from such things. I also love the centrality of the eucharist - Copeland teaches that you can and should just take bread and juice by yourself at any old time in any circumstance. That’s before you even get to his abberant Christology

I applaud calls for Christian unity, but ultimately, Copeland has to reject a great swathe of his own teaching before that can realistically be more than just some feel-good stuff. I was more impressed by Ulf Ekman, tbh.
I agree that Copeland and the WoF people are badly astray and I agree that despite His Holiness’ sincere intentions we can realistically expect it to go exactly nowhere. We pray for unity out of obedience to Our Blessed Lord, but He’s the only one that can effect that.

Still, I think it’s grand altogether that Pope Francis made this gesture.
 
I collect information on many of the more radical Protestants because many of them are why I left. For the record, here are some things taught by Kenneth Copeland. I can provide references for every single quote if someone is interested.

I think these are enough to postulate that any type of unity with Copeland Ministries and the like will be a long, long road.

**That we do not have a god in us but that we are a God. **
“You don’t have a God in you. You are one!”

**That Adam was God manifest in the flesh. **
“God’s reason for creating Adam was His desire to reproduce Himself. I mean a reproduction of Himself, and in the Garden of Eden He did just that. He was not a little like God. He was not almost like God. He was not subordinate to God even. . . . Adam is as much like God as you could get, just the same as Jesus. . . . Adam, in the Garden of Eden, was God manifested in the flesh.”

**God is the greatest failure in the Universe **
"I was shocked when I found out who the biggest failure in the Bible actually is…The biggest one is God…I mean, He lost His top-ranking, most anointed angel; the first man He ever created; the first woman He ever created; the whole earth and all the Fullness therein; a third of the angels, at least–that’s a big loss, man. . .

Heaven is a planet
“Heaven has a north and a south and an east and a west. Consequently, it must be a planet.”

“You don’t think earth was first, do you? Huh? Well, you don’t think that God made man in His image, and then made earth in some other image? There is not anything under this whole sun that’s new. Are you hearing what I’m saying? This is all a copy. It’s a copy of home. It’s a copy of the Mother Planet. Where God lives, He made a little one just like His and put us on it.”

The death of Jesus on the Cross did not pay the price for sins
“It wasn’t the physical death on the cross that paid the price for sin. Anybody could do that”

“Every prophet that walked the face of the earth under the Abrahamic covenant could have paid the price if it were a physical death only” “When he said ‘It is finished’ on that cross, he was not speaking of the plan of redemption. The plan of redemption had just begun, there were still three days and three nights to be gone through.” “[Jesus] accepted the sin nature of Satan in His own Spirit, and at the moment that He did so, He cried ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’.” “He [Jesus] was down in that pit and there he suffered the punishment for three horrible days and nights for Adam’s treason… There is a new birth takes place in the very depths of the earth, when the command of God says ‘That’s enough, loose him and let him go’.”

Jesus was sexually abused
“Let me tell you something folks. Anybody in here that’s ever been sexually abused, listen to me right now. Listen to me very carefully. The bible’s very careful about the way it says these things. But down there in that dungeon, Romans, ungodly men, ungodly men, put him (Jesus) to every kind of abuse that you can think of. There is no sin that Jesus didn’t bare. There is no thing, there is no such thing as a sexual abuse on somebody that Jesus doesn’t know firsthand what it’s all about. He’s been where you are, I don’t care what you’ve been through, Jesus has been through it. And everything’s done to him that we couldn’t even speak of.”

God and Adam are the same size
God spoke Adam into existence in authority with words. These words struck Adam’s body in the face. His body and God were exactly the same size."

**God has no right to the earth at all, he needs an invitation **
“God had no avenue of lasting faith or moving in the earth. He had to have covenant with somebody. . . . He had to be invited in, in other words, or He couldn’t come. God is on the outside looking in. In order to have any say so in the earth, He’s gonna have to be in agreement with a man here.”

**Adam looks the same as Jesus and God **
“[Adam] was the copy, looked just like [God]. If you stood Adam upside God, they look exactly alike. If you stood Jesus and Adam side by side, they would look and sound exactly alike.”
 
I collect information on many of the more radical Protestants because many of them are why I left. For the record, here are some things taught by Kenneth Copeland. I can provide references for every single quote if someone is interested.

I think these are enough to postulate that any type of unity with Copeland Ministries and the like will be a long, long road.

**That we do not have a god in us but that we are a God. **
“You don’t have a God in you. You are one!”

**That Adam was God manifest in the flesh. **
“God’s reason for creating Adam was His desire to reproduce Himself. I mean a reproduction of Himself, and in the Garden of Eden He did just that. He was not a little like God. He was not almost like God. He was not subordinate to God even. . . . Adam is as much like God as you could get, just the same as Jesus. . . . Adam, in the Garden of Eden, was God manifested in the flesh.”

**God is the greatest failure in the Universe **
"I was shocked when I found out who the biggest failure in the Bible actually is…The biggest one is God…I mean, He lost His top-ranking, most anointed angel; the first man He ever created; the first woman He ever created; the whole earth and all the Fullness therein; a third of the angels, at least–that’s a big loss, man. . .

Heaven is a planet
“Heaven has a north and a south and an east and a west. Consequently, it must be a planet.”

“You don’t think earth was first, do you? Huh? Well, you don’t think that God made man in His image, and then made earth in some other image? There is not anything under this whole sun that’s new. Are you hearing what I’m saying? This is all a copy. It’s a copy of home. It’s a copy of the Mother Planet. Where God lives, He made a little one just like His and put us on it.”

The death of Jesus on the Cross did not pay the price for sins
“It wasn’t the physical death on the cross that paid the price for sin. Anybody could do that”

“Every prophet that walked the face of the earth under the Abrahamic covenant could have paid the price if it were a physical death only” “When he said ‘It is finished’ on that cross, he was not speaking of the plan of redemption. The plan of redemption had just begun, there were still three days and three nights to be gone through.” “[Jesus] accepted the sin nature of Satan in His own Spirit, and at the moment that He did so, He cried ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’.” “He [Jesus] was down in that pit and there he suffered the punishment for three horrible days and nights for Adam’s treason… There is a new birth takes place in the very depths of the earth, when the command of God says ‘That’s enough, loose him and let him go’.”

Jesus was sexually abused
“Let me tell you something folks. Anybody in here that’s ever been sexually abused, listen to me right now. Listen to me very carefully. The bible’s very careful about the way it says these things. But down there in that dungeon, Romans, ungodly men, ungodly men, put him (Jesus) to every kind of abuse that you can think of. There is no sin that Jesus didn’t bare. There is no thing, there is no such thing as a sexual abuse on somebody that Jesus doesn’t know firsthand what it’s all about. He’s been where you are, I don’t care what you’ve been through, Jesus has been through it. And everything’s done to him that we couldn’t even speak of.”

God and Adam are the same size
God spoke Adam into existence in authority with words. These words struck Adam’s body in the face. His body and God were exactly the same size."

**God has no right to the earth at all, he needs an invitation **
“God had no avenue of lasting faith or moving in the earth. He had to have covenant with somebody. . . . He had to be invited in, in other words, or He couldn’t come. God is on the outside looking in. In order to have any say so in the earth, He’s gonna have to be in agreement with a man here.”

**Adam looks the same as Jesus and God **
“[Adam] was the copy, looked just like [God]. If you stood Adam upside God, they look exactly alike. If you stood Jesus and Adam side by side, they would look and sound exactly alike.”
JustStarting, thank you for sharing this info. Although my time attending a WOF church was brief, it was enough time to cause me years of spiritual distress. The sad thing is that many of the WOF churches are filled with former Catholics, and because their beliefs are so radically anti Catholic, the former Catholic members are heavily influenced to either convert their family members to WOF beliefs to save them from eternal damnation, or cease association with them if they do not convert.

Like you, I too was very perplexed by the Pope’s video, and whatever his motives to produce it truly were are not for me but God to judge. I learned the truth the hard way, and continue to pray for those former Catholics that are caught up in these radical WOF churches.
 
I have just watched…amazing and excited…this has really made me jump for joy!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top