• Thread starter Thread starter agname
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
agname:
A very interesting read…

usatoday.com/news/religion/2004-05-28-vatican-us_x.htm

I also believe we need to find a way to appeal to the kids…I currently have some ideas…I’m still pondering on the rest.
Australia is in the same boat I think.

I would love to hear your ideas.

The computer age needs to be used more I think, this site is great and so are the links that everyone posts, but there needs to be more.

Also, music needs to be composed, produced, to go with modern trends of writing.

Youth will respond if they see the Vatican responding too.

Love Kellie

Pope John Paul II warned several U.S. bishops Friday that American society is in danger of turning against spirituality in favor of materialistic desires, giving way to a “soulless vision of life.”
“In danger of” ? The pope is being pretty gentle with us.

Our Holy Father in Rome is concerned about the United States falling into moral decadence. As an American, I too am very worried.

I think the Pope is correct that we must connect with the young, but I am concerned that some will view the Pope’s call as an invitation to modernity and the rejection of tradition. I know that the Pope would not advocate this; it is others’ interpretations that most concern me. The Catholic Bishops must act as Bishops and lead the flock. Yes, we need to ‘connect’ with all people, but not at the cost of diluting our reverence for the faith.

All I am asking is that we take the Pope’s call seriously, but responsibly. I fear that our American Catholic Bishops may not fully understand that they need to teach the faith, not dumb in down. I would not have made this statement just a few short years ago, but I have now seen what actions of well meaning, but misguided, clerics have done to the Church since Vatican II.

Now, as always, we need the guidance of The Holy Spirit!

I agree that the Pope’s comments seem mild to the ears of many of us. We should remember that John Paul II has continually emphasized materialism and moral relativism as the two leading factors in the decline of spirituality, especially here in America over the last two decades(at least). American society is immersed in these two sins. We are seemingly enjoying the sin of Eve, as in “Not Thy will, Lord, but MY will(choice)”.

Communism has fallen only to be replaced by the head of a another serpent, less obvious, more destructive – sort of like going from nuclear to biological destruction (destroying from within).

Satan never goes away. He just changes disguises. We’ve heard that “God is dead” very often. Have we ever heard “The devil is dead?”.

The most Holy Father in Rom is correct, Im a senior in High School and I see the acts he speaks of every day.

40.png
Jerry1938:
I agree that the Pope’s comments seem mild to the ears of many of us. We should remember that John Paul II has continually emphasized materialism and moral relativism as the two leading factors in the decline of spirituality, especially here in America over the last two decades(at least). American society is immersed in these two sins. We are seemingly enjoying the sin of Eve, as in “Not Thy will, Lord, but MY will(choice)”.

Communism has fallen only to be replaced by the head of a another serpent, less obvious, more destructive – sort of like going from nuclear to biological destruction (destroying from within).

Satan never goes away. He just changes disguises. We’ve heard that “God is dead” very often. Have we ever heard “The devil is dead?”.
Although I have heard the term relativism, I’m unclear of its exact meaning. Can you explain it to me? Thank you.

Victor V:
Although I have heard the term relativism, I’m unclear of its exact meaning. Can you explain it to me? Thank you.
It means that there is no thing as right and wrong and no absolute truth. Most things are held to be equally valid. An example might be someone saying, “I personally don’t believe in abortion, but I’m not going to tell someone what to do with their body.” Moral relativism is a true scourge on the world. 😦

40.png
Craig:
Moral relativism is a true scourge on the world. 😦
At the very least, moral relativism is completely incompatible with Catholicism.

As I said in other threads, this battle has already been fought and won. We won. The films of David Lynch, culminating in “Mullholland Drive”, have saved America and restored to us a true spiritual way of seeing (i.e. seeing like a child). If we would only believe this, then we would see that it is true.

I think that it is important to note when you were talking at the begining of this thread about changing some of the things in the church to be more acceptable for children, that shouldn’t happen we need to leave the things in the church the way they are and change the society, and the parents and the children so that they fit the church. For starters alter servers right after first communion begins an appreciation for the mass and the feeling that they are a part of mass unstead of just dragged to it every day.

If you are truly concerned about the youth of America, and if you have the time and ability, I encourage you to volunteer in your church religious education program, your State or County Child Advocacy program, or even consider foster parenting.

These things sometimes are discouraging, because often those in charge are full of the moral relativism and new-age psycho-babble the Pope decries. However, don’t be discouraged. Your presence can make a difference. A child may simply be impressed by how you conduct yourself at Mass or live your life, and it might influence him/her to seek Christ later on, if it’s not possible now.

I have done volunteer work, and that’s why I advocate this as a way to help. If you can not worry about “changing the system” (which may be corrupt, whichever one you’re in), and focus just on your work, your child, you will find it rewarding. I feel teenagers are especially in need of good role models, and understanding the benefits, physically and spiritually, of chastity.

I teach RE to first graders, and I have to say that the state of their home education until that point is appalling! Most of them do not know their basic prayers, most do not do the sign of the cross correctly, NONE of them can tell me the name of their religion, name of their parish, who JP II is (or even what a Pope is) … it is absolutely terrifying! I end up teaching two parallel classes in one – one being the structure of lessons based upon the text (which, for the record, I do NOT like as they are more the ‘feel good’ stuff of ‘we should love the Earth because God gave it to us to care for it’), the other where I teach them the basics of the faith that their parents should have (the things I mentioned above, both Old and New Testament stories, short prayers that they can recite at home, who the Pope is, stories of the Saints, etc.)

They THRIVE on this second part. You can see it filling a hunger that they didn’t even know existed, and they LOVE it! There are no words for the looks of love and devotion I see on their faces as we kneel to pray the Divine Mercy prayer on Divine Mercy Sunday … I am sure many souls have gone to heaven directly based on those prayers. The utterly crushing point is that I know that they will quickly lose all this once the school year ends and they are back in the care of their parents for religious instruction. It is heartbreaking, as these little vines need tending and daily care to grow. (oh yes, this is supposed to be one of the 'conservative parishes in the area …)

PLEASE pray :praying: for our youth! It terrifies me to see where this is all heading!! :eek:

Cricket

I think most of us agree with the Holy Fathers comments. We’re all painfully aware of the moral and spiritual crisis that stems from our American popular culture. This is especially evident with our Youth.
I think many of us are also painfully aware of the of the pop/rock
music and other secular elements that have crept into our Church
and our spiritual lives. Much of this came about in an effort to get young people to attend mass. The only thing it has accomplished is a lack of reverence and an “entertainment mentality” coming from the peole in the pews. Young people need formation, not musical gimicks. Enough is enough! If I see one more drumset or electric guitar on the altar I’m going to “loose it”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back