A
angell1
Guest
what is the proper catholic teaching of women in civil society.
I know the husband is supposed to be the head of the family, and priests are in charge of leading the church, but what about other day to day affairs.
I’m not going on a feminist rampage where I think men and women are the same, I know they’re not, but, historically, it seems many things were restricted for women based on the view that women, in general, must be subject to men. this would include things like military, politics, education which required large amounts of timen such as law or medicin and other sciences. of course, there exceptions to the rule. and there are other factors as well such as much shorter life span and wars
I also just read an article on st. Thomas Aquinas’ philosophy on women where he thought that women are in general weaker than men in body and soul because man was meant to be the more perfect form and women were only made for men. of course, this was during a time period where the un derstand of biology was drastically different and it was thought that women were not capable to reason as much as men.
I’m trying to look for a more complete view on the subject as the opposed to the age old “the catholic church didn’t let women do anything” that you seem to encounter everywhere.
and do you think that women these days are doing things they shouldn’t such as certain types of careers and social roles? the feminists claim that men and women can both do anything they want the exact same way. and some other groups (certain cahtolics included) think that yes, women can do the same things as men but probably shouldn’t because they don’t have the same right to it as established by God and should always be subject.
thoughts?
also, if anyone knows of any good resources, or if my information is not accurate, please give me suggestions of books or articles or anything else that might be helpful
I know the husband is supposed to be the head of the family, and priests are in charge of leading the church, but what about other day to day affairs.
I’m not going on a feminist rampage where I think men and women are the same, I know they’re not, but, historically, it seems many things were restricted for women based on the view that women, in general, must be subject to men. this would include things like military, politics, education which required large amounts of timen such as law or medicin and other sciences. of course, there exceptions to the rule. and there are other factors as well such as much shorter life span and wars
I also just read an article on st. Thomas Aquinas’ philosophy on women where he thought that women are in general weaker than men in body and soul because man was meant to be the more perfect form and women were only made for men. of course, this was during a time period where the un derstand of biology was drastically different and it was thought that women were not capable to reason as much as men.
I’m trying to look for a more complete view on the subject as the opposed to the age old “the catholic church didn’t let women do anything” that you seem to encounter everywhere.
and do you think that women these days are doing things they shouldn’t such as certain types of careers and social roles? the feminists claim that men and women can both do anything they want the exact same way. and some other groups (certain cahtolics included) think that yes, women can do the same things as men but probably shouldn’t because they don’t have the same right to it as established by God and should always be subject.
thoughts?
also, if anyone knows of any good resources, or if my information is not accurate, please give me suggestions of books or articles or anything else that might be helpful