Practical Application of Luke 12:16-21

  • Thread starter Thread starter Journeyman
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Journeyman

Guest
This passage is the parable of the rich fool who stores away his bountiful harvest by building a larger storage area. Instead of using his harvest to help others, he keeps it all for himself. I am struggling how to practically apply this parable. For instance…if someone is retired and has a comfortable amount of money saved so that they can live off of interest/dividends, should they give some of the money to charity? Should they give part of the money to charity when they die and during the remainder of their life not spend frivilously? Thoughts? How do you apply this parable to your life?
 
This passage is the parable of the rich fool who stores away his bountiful harvest by building a larger storage area. Instead of using his harvest to help others, he keeps it all for himself. I am struggling how to practically apply this parable. For instance…if someone is retired and has a comfortable amount of money saved so that they can live off of interest/dividends, should they give some of the money to charity? Should they give part of the money to charity when they die and during the remainder of their life not spend frivilously? Thoughts? How do you apply this parable to your life?
We are always to give some to “to charity”…the poor etc according to our means…

and of course to the Support of the Church…
 
This is another understanding of what Jesus wanted for his people that has been lost. Jesus called a man a fool for storing up for his future.

Jesus told us: Matthew 6:19) “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.

Jesus also told us: (Luke 12:33) “Sell your possessions and give alms. Get yourselves purses that do not wear out, treasure that will not fail you, in Heaven where no thief can reach it and no moth destroy it. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

(Luke 14:33) “So in the same way, none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up all his possessions.”

(James 5:1-8) “Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming upon you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered innocent men, who were not opposing you.”

(Acts 4:32)”The whole group of believers was united, heart and soul; no one claimed for his own use anything that he had, as everything they owned was held in common.”
 
Someone has made a statement by talking about the “hard” teachings of Jesus. With our natural, God-given instincts for survival, we are oriented towards using those instincts, of supporting ourselves for the present and for the future.

If we go back and think about the “offerings” that are described in the Old Testament, there are many and they serve all kinds of purposes. Some are just to honor God. The idea of the tithe, according to the Jewish commentaries I have read, is that, let’s say, the ENTIRE harvest is God’s – we de-sacralize for our use by offering the tithe of 10%. In other words, we are not entitled to ANY of it, until we follow the law and give the specified amount of the tithe.

Then, there are offerings for sin, and offerings for vows we have made, and all sorts of things like that.

So, when you look at the commands already in the Bible, some people have said that Jesus did not really bring many new obligations or burdens, if you want to look at it that way.

Obviously, no group of Christians that I know of lives that way, by selling all they have and giving it away. No one, or maybe only an obscure few people, live like that.

In the extreme, if all I had was a bowl of food, and I interpreted what Jesus said in the narrowest sense, I’d give the food away and I’d starve to death. Now, that violates several commandments about the sanctity of the body, and squandering resources, and such.

What Jesus said must not be torn apart into sound bites. That is misusing and misinterpreting the Word of God.
 
Maybe most of what Jesus said about selling all posessions was for his diciples to be totally empty of earthly things to better serve the people. If what they sold was considered an impediment to holiness then the person who bought the item would then have to do the same if it’s required of all people.
 
Someone has made a statement by talking about the “hard” teachings of Jesus. With our natural, God-given instincts for survival, we are oriented towards using those instincts, of supporting ourselves for the present and for the future.

If we go back and think about the “offerings” that are described in the Old Testament, there are many and they serve all kinds of purposes. Some are just to honor God. The idea of the tithe, according to the Jewish commentaries I have read, is that, let’s say, the ENTIRE harvest is God’s – we de-sacralize for our use by offering the tithe of 10%. In other words, we are not entitled to ANY of it, until we follow the law and give the specified amount of the tithe.

Then, there are offerings for sin, and offerings for vows we have made, and all sorts of things like that.

So, when you look at the commands already in the Bible, some people have said that Jesus did not really bring many new obligations or burdens, if you want to look at it that way.

Obviously, no group of Christians that I know of lives that way, by selling all they have and giving it away. No one, or maybe only an obscure few people, live like that.

In the extreme, if all I had was a bowl of food, and I interpreted what Jesus said in the narrowest sense, I’d give the food away and I’d starve to death. Now, that violates several commandments about the sanctity of the body, and squandering resources, and such.

What Jesus said must not be torn apart into sound bites. That is misusing and misinterpreting the Word of God.
This is a good example of how Christian became unspiritual. Men read a verse of God’s Word and instead of asking Jesus what he meant, rationalize it themselves.

The early Christians new what Jesus meant. Jesus called a man who saved up for his future a fool. The early Christian lived in community when he or she could.
 
This is a good example of how Christian became unspiritual. Men read a verse of God’s Word and instead of asking Jesus what he meant, rationalize it themselves.

The early Christians new what Jesus meant. Jesus called a man who saved up for his future a fool. The early Christian lived in community when he or she could.
Then everyone that has a job with a retirement system is a fool and destined for hell?
 
Then everyone that has a job with a retirement system is a fool and destined for hell?
Don’t ask me! Ask Jesus what is right for you to do.

I was personally told that if I gave my life to Jesus I would lose everything I owned. I lost everything. Jesus let me raise a family and I never owned anything of value. I lived paycheck to paycheck, and never had any savings. Three of my children graduated from college plus. If Jesus is leading one he or she can live the Word of God just the way it is written.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top