"Practical" ways to fast

  • Thread starter Thread starter Musikero31
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Musikero31

Guest
Lent is fast approaching and so is Ash Wednesday. And as we all know, we are obligated to fast on that day (and also for Good Friday if I’m not mistaken).

I would like to ask how you fast.

For me, me and my wife plan to eat a normal meal on lunch then drink Herbalife shake and water in between. I’m not sure if this is ok, but I honestly would like to eat food than drink that shake. But I’m not sure if this is correct…

How about you guys?
 
Lent is fast approaching and so is Ash Wednesday. And as we all know, we are obligated to fast on that day (and also for Good Friday if I’m not mistaken).

I would like to ask how you fast.

For me, me and my wife plan to eat a normal meal on lunch then drink Herbalife shake and water in between. I’m not sure if this is ok, but I honestly would like to eat food than drink that shake. But I’m not sure if this is correct…

How about you guys?
You’re fine.
 
Sounds ok to me. Generally I’ve been told it’s one regular meal and two small meals that don’t add up to a regular meal as a minimum.
 
Sounds ok to me. Generally I’ve been told it’s one regular meal and two small meals that don’t add up to a regular meal as a minimum.
What does “one regular meal” and “two small meals” mean? Because I remember like years ago when I did fasting for the first time (it was on a Good Friday), I ate like 6 cups of rice for lunch (yep! I admit that). Then the Lord spoke to me when I venerated the cross and said, “That’s not fasting, my son. It’s gluttony…”

I don’t want that to happen again.
 
This is from the USCCB website:

For members of the Latin Catholic Church, the norms on fasting are obligatory from age 18 until age 59. When fasting, a person is permitted to eat one full meal. Two smaller meals may also be taken, but not to equal a full meal. The norms concerning abstinence from meat are binding upon members of the Latin Catholic Church from age 14 onwards.

This works out to be about 60% of the calories you would normally eat. If you count calories looking at it this way might be easier. Also, the old slimfast diet plan of a shake in the morning, one if the afternoon and then a sensible dinner probably fits the Lenten fast guidelines perfectly.
 
What does “one regular meal” and “two small meals” mean? Because I remember like years ago when I did fasting for the first time (it was on a Good Friday), I ate like 6 cups of rice for lunch (yep! I admit that). Then the Lord spoke to me when I venerated the cross and said, “That’s not fasting, my son. It’s gluttony…”

I don’t want that to happen again.
Generally for me I have one regular meal and two snacks. Unfortunately there isn’t anything specific beyond what the USCCB has stated (and as AJB328 has referenced)
I think that’s up to the individual’s discretion and taking it to prayer. I know some Catholics (assuming it doesn’t hinder their health) who eat less.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top