Prayer and fasting--question for you

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whatevergirl

Guest
*With 2010 right around the corner, I would like to grow in the way of prayer and fasting. I pray the Rosary daily, and try to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, as well. I’m curious as to how I could incorporate fasting into my ‘‘schedule,’’ and would like some of your suggestions. When you fast, do you follow the Lent type of fast–two small meals, and a regular one at dinner (no snacking in between)? Or do you follow a different fast? Also, on days of fasting, do you pray different prayers on those days? I have fasted before, but usually follow it during Lent, and I seem to have more clarity then. :o

Look forward to hearing how I can make the most of this. Thanks!*
 
Some things I try to do (but don’t always succeed):
  • No meat on Fridays
  • No food on Fridays except dinner
  • Offer up my hunger for a specific intention each fast
  • I gave up some favorite candies for a specific intention (that was a couple of years ago - still waiting for it)
  • A friend fasts on Wednesdays and Fridays, eating only Ezekiel bread, which is a bread that has all the proteins you need to survive. You can get it from some bakeries on line or maybe in a local store.
There are no “rules” for fasting. You decide what works for you. I understand that there is a good book from Medjugordje on fasting. Don’t know the title (sorry).
 
*Very good, this is EXACTLY what I had hoped to gain from posting this…thank you! 🙂

So…Do you fast every week, then, outside of Lent? Is it ‘‘acceptable’’ to fast other ‘‘things’’ or habits, besides food? I was thinking of say, tv watching or something in that realm.*
 
“Fasting” can have many degrees and aspects. One size, most definitely, does not fit all.

Since the point of fasting is to direct us towards the practice of the virtue of charity, obviously if we deal badly with difficult fasting, we ought not to go extreme.

Indeed, you might consider it worthy simply to mortify yourself in some very small matter of food and drink, rather than to go all out in fasting, at least at first. Sometimes denying ourselves one little thing can be more difficult than going ‘all out’ in fasting. Think of it like St. Terese’s little way. Little things borne lovingly are much better than great things borne with bitterness.

Some people, like myself, are prone to getting cross when their stomach is empty. :rolleyes: The Lord allows us all different strengths and weaknesses in different degrees.

If you want to do fasting outside of what the Church prescribes, it is best to do so only under the guidance of a confessor or spiritual director.

God bless,
Rob
 
Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut, Rob…this is helpful. I think I might do what you suggest–ask my priest at our home parish. I could do a combination of fasting from food one week, then something other than food, the next. All in all, I told myself in 2009 that I was going to incorporate fasting into things, and it didn’t happen! I am praying for the willpower to carry this through for the next year…I need to grow in self control/patience in some areas of my life. Is it ‘‘wrong’’ to view fasting as a way to help us overcome bad habits? :confused:
 
Start small as another poster suggested.

Maybe try up to lunchtime first without eating for a while on a particular day (Friday maybe)…and then build it up.

However, it must be stressed that if while fasting, you are grumpy or vain, there is no point doing it.
 
That is one reason we fast - to overcome bad habits. Consider fasting on first Fridays. Maybe that’s an easier way for you to start. Try also to attend Mass that day.
 
That is one reason we fast - to overcome bad habits. Consider fasting on first Fridays. Maybe that’s an easier way for you to start. Try also to attend Mass that day.
*I’m glad I posted this thread, because I understand the premises, but sometimes, I don’t know how to practically apply them, you know? I like the starting on Friday’s only idea…or maybe Monday, Wed and Fridays. I then could build from there.

I am going to look up this fasting book that you suggested. *
 
Start small as another poster suggested.

Maybe try up to lunchtime first without eating for a while on a particular day (Friday maybe)…and then build it up.

However, it must be stressed that if while fasting, you are grumpy or vain, there is no point doing it.
*Hopefully, I won’t be grumpy, but sometimes when I’m hungry…eek…that can happen! 😊 You’re right. But, then that could be an opportunity to show me I need to strive harder, maybe. I usually handle the Lent fast ‘‘ok.’’ I do it three days a week, typically, then. *
 
Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut, Rob…this is helpful. I think I might do what you suggest–ask my priest at our home parish. I could do a combination of fasting from food one week, then something other than food, the next. All in all, I told myself in 2009 that I was going to incorporate fasting into things, and it didn’t happen! I am praying for the willpower to carry this through for the next year…I need to grow in self control/patience in some areas of my life. Is it ‘‘wrong’’ to view fasting as a way to help us overcome bad habits? :confused:
Just so you know, there is a general grant for a partial indulgence whenever any Christian willingly gives up something licit and pleasing to himself.

The grant reads:
A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, in a spirit of penance, voluntarily abstain from something that is licit for and pleasing to them.
It’s very possible to create an entire spirituality around something like this (and there are three other ‘general grants’ in the new Indulgence handbook). Remember that indulgences can be applied to the suffering souls in Purgatory.

A partial indulgence is proportioned to the charity with which it is worked… which means that the more sincerely and lovingly you perform the work, the greater the merit the Church applies and “matches” to your work.

Not all abstaining is fasting. Consider the abstaining which is “not taking seconds” or “not having desert.” And yet this certainly falls under the indulgence grant.

You can literally adorn your entire day with precious little jewels of sacrifice…

Remember how St. Therese had sacrifice beads which she used? Well, I think this general grant would be excellent for that. There are so many things which are ‘licit and pleasing’ and yet which we can abstain from…

You might find this text from St. John of the Cross (which I’m sure St. Therese read many times), helpful in applying this. Especially the part near the end where he begins, “Endeavor to be inclined…” in this translation, “Strive always to prefer…” under number 6.

(Just so you know, this is the first general grant: “A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, while carrying out their duties and enduring the harships of life, raise their minds in humble trust to God and make, at least mentally, some pious invocations.” Which basically means that the Church grants you an indulgence if you pray at all during the day! My goodness!)

-Rob
 
Just so you know, there is a general grant for a partial indulgence whenever any Christian willingly gives up something licit and pleasing to himself.

The grant reads:

It’s very possible to create an entire spirituality around something like this (and there are three other ‘general grants’ in the new Indulgence handbook). Remember that indulgences can be applied to the suffering souls in Purgatory.

A partial indulgence is proportioned to the charity with which it is worked… which means that the more sincerely and lovingly you perform the work, the greater the merit the Church applies and “matches” to your work.

Not all abstaining is fasting. Consider the abstaining which is “not taking seconds” or “not having desert.” And yet this certainly falls under the indulgence grant.

You can literally adorn your entire day with precious little jewels of sacrifice…

Remember how St. Therese had sacrifice beads which she used? Well, I think this general grant would be excellent for that. There are so many things which are ‘licit and pleasing’ and yet which we can abstain from…

You might find this text from St. John of the Cross (which I’m sure St. Therese read many times), helpful in applying this. Especially the part near the end where he begins, “Endeavor to be inclined…” in this translation, “Strive always to prefer…” under number 6.

(Just so you know, this is the first general grant: “A partial indulgence is granted to the Christian faithful who, while carrying out their duties and enduring the harships of life, raise their minds in humble trust to God and make, at least mentally, some pious invocations.” Which basically means that the Church grants you an indulgence if you pray at all during the day! My goodness!)

-Rob
*:eek::o My goodness, indeed…wow!

Rob, thank you kindly for posting this for me. I am excited now to fast! (well, ask me when I’m a few days into it) 😛 *
 
*:eek::o My goodness, indeed…wow!

Rob, thank you kindly for posting this for me. I am excited now to fast! (well, ask me when I’m a few days into it) 😛 *
Haha. Whenever I read spiritual literature I get SO pysched. But when it comes down to it, and I’ve had a long day, it’s hard not to be possessive about those crummy, pointless seconds, or my favorite cookies. It’s so nuts. We’ll rip out our mortal sins by the roots… but we won’t conquer small selfishness-es and attachments. We’ll get rid of the big stuff, and omit to get rid of all that little stuff in the way to complete union with God. Fr. Thomas Dubay likes quoting this from St. Bernard… “there are more people converted from mortal sin to grace, than religious from good to better.” It’s as if our selfishness only becomes apparent then… like we’ve backed it into a corner, and now that it has only petty things it fights tooth and nail to preserve its wretched domain. At times like this I sympathize with St. Paul… ‘Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?’ (But, ‘thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!’)
 
Rob, I appreciate your posts here really. A whole new light you’ve put things in. 🙂
 
my usual “fast” is to abstain from meat because as a diabetic I have to eat at least 3 meals, at about the same time, in about the same amounts. I can go without a healthy snack for few days but in general, depending on my work schedule which affects meal timing I do need at least an afternoon snack. Before I was diagnosed we followed the traditional Lenten fast WG describes and in any case almost always abstain from meat on Fridays through the year and all weekdays of Lent. We were brought up this way and never changed. There have been times we felt fasting in addition to prayer were the means to respond to a challenge, and in those times we follow the traditional Lenten practices. For me know following my diabetic diet, testing properly, exercising and so forth is my discipline because I make the intention a conscious part of my prayer.

as to the other part of the question, fasting and prayer go together always in classic Christian spirituality, and charity or alms is the third leg.

the good thing about sticking with traditional disciplines is you don’t have to reinvent the wheel, which makes it easier to stick to. Some other tradtional practices are bread and water on Wed and/or Fri, and as always none of these should be done if there is a serious health impediment. My advice is to choose one thing and stick to it for a while, at least a month or 6 weeks.
 
*Thanks annie, for your (name removed by moderator)ut. I have found everyone here to be very helpful…I am familiar with fasting…but a traditional Lent fast. I didn’t realize I could get a little creative with it, so I’m looking forward to it. I would like to overcome some bad habits, and I think fasting (I am hoping fasting) helps strengthen my resolve and self control. *
 
There’s one very important thing.

Fasting should not be self-willed, but OBEDIENT. Remember, demons never eat at all.

Discuss any proposed regimen of fasting and follow your spiritual director’s advice. DO NOT attempt this on your own.
 
There’s one very important thing.

Fasting should not be self-willed, but OBEDIENT. Remember, demons never eat at all.

Discuss any proposed regimen of fasting and follow your spiritual director’s advice. DO NOT attempt this on your own.
Thank you–I plan to at the first of the year…may I ask what you mean by ‘self willed?’ Like I shouldn’t come up with my own ‘‘type of’’ fast?
 
Thank you–I plan to at the first of the year…may I ask what you mean by ‘self willed?’ Like I shouldn’t come up with my own ‘‘type of’’ fast?
From reading your posts in this thread it seems to me you are seeking the virtue of Temperance. Fr. Benedict Groeschel has a book titled The Virtue Driven Life that you might find useful. I am reading it right now. I am not yet to the chapter on Temperance, but I did watch his DVD about the virtues. He speaks clearly and is well thought.

This thread was of interest to me because my virtue for this year is Temperance. I have several ideas which I am incorporating into my life. Some ideas limit some food types. Some ideas limit certain habits such as television watching.

I think you have several good ideas already.

God bless
 
Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. I feel as if God has called me to fast for the next day, and realized when I felt this call that it was nearly sundown. With the significance of the sundown-to-sundown rituals of the OT, I feel it highly appropriate to engage in full fasting (only drinking water) for the next 24 hours. Has anyone else heard of similar fasting procedures, or know if they are mentioned in scripture?
 
From reading your posts in this thread it seems to me you are seeking the virtue of Temperance. Fr. Benedict Groeschel has a book titled The Virtue Driven Life that you might find useful. I am reading it right now. I am not yet to the chapter on Temperance, but I did watch his DVD about the virtues. He speaks clearly and is well thought.

This thread was of interest to me because my virtue for this year is Temperance. I have several ideas which I am incorporating into my life. Some ideas limit some food types. Some ideas limit certain habits such as television watching.

I think you have several good ideas already.

God bless
*Bless you for this book suggestion. I AM trying to seek the virtue of temperance…to not only seek it, but better myself in this area. By the power of the Holy Spirit, may I and you, and others who seek this, increase in it, this year…and thereafter. :gopray: Thank you, again. *
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top