I couldn’t do it – it would feel so awkward it would get me out of the mood.
At our Pre-Cana retreat, one of the (very earnest and well-meaning) volunteer couples gave each couple a little red plastic votive with a little tealight candle in it, and told us to say prayers before and after “being together” and to light this prayer candle during the actual act.
I think we ended up using the candle as part of our Christmas decor.
Yes, I know, I’m awful, but if we’d actually done what they suggested, I think my marriage might still be unconsummated.
~Jaden(name removed by moderator)
P.S. But my husband used to have a picture of his parents on his night table too, and I asked him to put it in another room. Seeing their smiling faces during, ahem, “being together” was kind of weird for me too.
so embarrassed