J
Jelly_Bean
Guest
I’m working on forming some sort of prayer routine. Looking for ideas for beginners. Something simple that I am likely to stick with. Go easy on me, it’s been a while. 
Hi “Jelly Bean”I’m working on forming some sort of prayer routine. Looking for ideas for beginners. Something simple that I am likely to stick with. Go easy on me, it’s been a while.![]()
There are lots of ways to pray, but I suggest the following:I’m working on forming some sort of prayer routine. Looking for ideas for beginners. Something simple that I am likely to stick with. Go easy on me, it’s been a while.![]()
“JB” Thank you. I understand more clearly now. I too, am a revert. I returned to the Church… oh, about 4 years ago.To Marie Veronica: A few years ago I came back to the sacraments. I am now living life in union with the church’s teachings. Still fall of course, but I get up quickly now and get to confession.I wish to pray but find myself struggling to do just the basics of living a catholic life. Prayer is hard for me. Need all the help I can get.
Just think the name ‘Jesus,’ as a heartfelt sigh (stolen from Fadda Corapi).To Marie Veronica: A few years ago I came back to the sacraments. I am now living life in union with the church’s teachings. Still fall of course, but I get up quickly now and get to confession.I wish to pray but find myself struggling to do just the basics of living a catholic life. Prayer is hard for me. Need all the help I can get.
There is a good book by Peter Kreeft called Prayer For Beginners.I’m working on forming some sort of prayer routine. Looking for ideas for beginners. Something simple that I am likely to stick with. Go easy on me, it’s been a while.![]()
What I would do, as a “beginner” (I still feel I am a beginner) is to pray the Apostles Creed every morning when I woke up. After that was easy and automatic, I would add the Our Father to that on waking. When that, too, became easy, then add three Hail Mary’s and a Glory Be at that time. You will have then done the beginning of the Rosary.I’m working on forming some sort of prayer routine. Looking for ideas for beginners. Something simple that I am likely to stick with. Go easy on me, it’s been a while.![]()
Fr. Thomas Dubay, a renowned teacher and writer on prayer and the spiritual life, presents a simple, profound and practical book on the most important of all human activities, communion with God.
This primer begins at the beginning: the very roots of the human person–a needy, aching, yearning being who is ultimately satisfied by nothing that even an extremely beautiful universe can offer. Learning to pray is really learning to fall in love–with supreme Beauty.
Prayer Primer is written for intelligent adults (not teenagers) who want God and a serious prayer life, but it does not presuppose that they need or have a theological background. It does take up many questions rarely answered adequately in the classroom or from the pulpit, indeed often not mentioned at all: Why pray? (be ready for some surprises) Why vocal prayer is important and yet should be limited? What contemplation is and is not. Praying with Scripture. Family Prayer–even how to introduce children to group meditation. Prayer in a busy life. Pitfalls and problems–together with solutions. Buddhism? New Age? Centering prayer? What should you do when dry and empty and not at all inclined to pray? How do you even get started? Where and how to begin? Assessing progress. Growing in depth. All of these subjects, and more, are clearly and concisely explained for citizens of this 21st century.
Absolutely, dear soul. Yes… we’re at about the same place. PM me anytime… (well, until my inbox fills up… that is. lol. I can’t empty it… due to a formatting snafu).MarieVeronica: It’s been about three years for me. We’ll have to stick together to help encourage each other along.
I think that is a wonderful idea!One word, okay two words:
Post-it Notes
Whenever I try to encourage my prayer life, I put post-it notes up. One on the microwave, the bathroom mirror or where ever. It may say, Hail Mary or Pray for Tom or Glory Be. It reminds me to pray and it tells me what to pray.