prayer for the dying

  • Thread starter Thread starter PeterLD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PeterLD

Guest
does anyone know the name of this prayer for the dying? it goes something along the lines of go forward in the light of jesus christ who suffered for you, in the light of the holy spirit who was poured out onto you. then theres something about rest on the mountain of zion.
forgive my ignorance but I’ve never been dying so I don’t know it well. I want to see the complete text. it sounds very poignant. thank u.
 
does anyone know the name of this prayer for the dying? it goes something along the lines of go forward in the light of jesus christ who suffered for you, in the light of the holy spirit who was poured out onto you. then theres something about rest on the mountain of zion.
forgive my ignorance but I’ve never been dying so I don’t know it well. I want to see the complete text. it sounds very poignant. thank u.
Having used it, I would confirm that it is very moving.

The prayer is the Commendation for the Dying.

It is located in Part II Pastoral Care of the Dying within the Pastoral Care for the Sick.

This part also contains the Celebration of Viaticum and Prayers for the Dead as well as the Rite for Exceptional Circumstances (the continuous rites of penance, anointing and viaticum, rite for emergencies, and Christian initiation for the Dying).

Ask a priest or deacon that you know to let you see his copy of the Pastoral Care for the Sick. It may have been posted on the internet, and perhaps someone can point you to it.
 
Prayer of Commendation from Pastorial Care of the Sick:

When the moment of death seems near the following prayer may be said.
Go forth, Christian soul, from this world
in the name of God the almighty Father,
who created you,
in the name of Jesus Christ, son of the living God,
who suffered for you,
in the name of the Holy Spirit,
who was poured out upon you,
go forth, faithful Christian.
May you live in peace this day,
may your home be with God in Zion,
with Mary, the virgin Mother of God,
with Joseph, and all the angels and saints.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top