Prayer Life

  • Thread starter Thread starter songofsunday
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

songofsunday

Guest
What is mental prayer and why are we not supposed to use this method of praying when we say the Rosary?

Also, is it ok to say the Rosary when I drive? walk?
 
What is mental prayer and why are we not supposed to use this method of praying when we say the Rosary?

Also, is it ok to say the Rosary when I drive? walk?
The rosary is unique in that it incorporates all the methods of prayer in the vocal prayer of the Hail Mary’s, the mental prayer of the mysteries, and the contempative prayer also in meditation on the mysteries. All are encouraged.

I often pray the rosary when driving. It is highly recomended by the Church.
 
Mental prayer is praying with the thoughts. It is different from vocal prayer, which is praying with the voice, or contemplative prayer, which is praying with the will.
 
What is mental prayer and why are we not supposed to use this method of praying when we say the Rosary?

Also, is it ok to say the Rosary when I drive? walk?
If someone told you that we’re not supposed to use mental prayer, while praying the Rosary… then they don’t understand what it means to meditate on the various Mysteries of the Rosary. Meditation is certainly a form of mental prayer… because while saying the “Our Father’s”, “Hail Mary’s” and “Glory Be’s”… you think about different events in the lives of Jesus and Mary.

I usually “walk” my Rosary and “Chaplet of Divine Mercy”. I had heard that this is an acceptable way to pray… especially for a person who might be high-strung… and can’t easily pray, kneeling. I suffer from breathing difficulties… and so, kneeling for long periods is often difficult. I’m not sure if I would pray the Rosary driving, though. You need your full attention on the road when driving… for your safety and the safety of others.

Hope this helps. God bless.
 
What is mental prayer and why are we not supposed to use this method of praying when we say the Rosary?

Also, is it ok to say the Rosary when I drive? walk?
Mental Prayer is a form of prayer where one engages the mind to come to a spiritual insight of the subject at hand. This is also known as meditation. Active meditation is when we use of a lot of our “thinking process” -we analyze the subject, we pay attention to the people in the scene, we ask questions, etc. Then we make conclusions on how this particular passage applies to you.
St. Teresa of Avila said in her book “Way of Perfection” that all prayers to be considered real prayers should have these attitudes: we should know who it is we are addressing (God or Mary), who it is addressing them (we are only creatures), what it is we are praying for. In other words, we should be attentive when we pray. Vocal prayers (like the Rosary) can become mental prayer if we apply St. Teresa’s method of lectio-divina to it.

I recite the rosary when I’m out walking sometimes. I pray it in the car when someone else is driving. I can’t recite it effectively if I’m driving because I have to direct my concentration on the driving and I can’t focus on my rosary. Hope this helps you a little!
 
Part of why I am struggling with this right now is that I sometimes use a cd by Fr. Scanlan and Dana called the “Healing Rosary.” Some of you may be familiar with this. When I use the cd, I at times do not say the prayers “vocally,” rather, I am saying the prayers mentally. It seems that most of what I read says that the Rosary is "vocal.’ and that we must at least move our lips when I say the Rosary.
 
Hi songofsunday,

Vocal prayer does not have to be out loud. I wonder if “verbal prayer” would be a more helpful description. Certainly you can pray the words silently and it is still “vocal prayer.”

Mental prayer is what Sister Helena described a few posts up.
 
What is mental prayer and why are we not supposed to use this method of praying when we say the Rosary?

Also, is it ok to say the Rosary when I drive? walk?
Other replies were all good. To add a bit: Someone who said ‘no mental prayer for the Rosary’ was a bit confused. Meditating on the Mysteries as you pray is a very good idea.

It is certainly licit to pray the Rosary while driving or walking. I do both. However, I do feel that I am usually raised to a higher spiritual level when I give it 100% of my concentration, on my knees.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top