Prayer of Jabez

• Thread starter Thread starter Ross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ross

Hi
We were given a book, The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson, anyone have any information on this?
Thanks
Ross

This Prayer of Jabez movement was popular a couple of years ago. The prayer itself is obscure and is, in my opinion, taken out of context. The gist of the movement is that by praying the prayer you will gain earthly riches and success (sort of like a magic incantation) – it is quite popular in Protestant circles. One site refers to it as “Christian witchcraft.”

For those who don’t know it, here it is:
Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.” And God granted his request. 1Cronicles 4:10
'thann

People were told if they said it they would get rich, as if they could control God.

40.png
cmom:
People were told if they said it they would get rich, as if they could control God.
No. That isn’t it. Have you read the book? I have. I agree that it was taking an obscure prayer and makes much more out of it than what is there–but it’s not about controlling God or getting rich.
Basically, I think the guy had a message to put in a book–and he used Jabez’s prayer as a starting point.

Specifically, it says that if you meditating on the verse, you are asking God to motivate you to be in His will, and increase your area of influence-- to spread the Gospel. For the most part, that’s correct–He’ll give you the chance to work for Him. Unfortunately, men being what we are, we try to find a quick fix, and try to use it as something it wasn’t intended.

But it’s not some magic chant, or charm to give you riches and glory. It wasn’t some life-changing book for me, but it was an interesting read. Some discernment is required to read it, though.

I read it. However the protestants I talked to about it treated it as if it were magic…they thought it they named it and claimed it, God would guarentee it.

That is trying to control God.

What I liked most about the book was that I could then question my Protestant friend’s disagreement with rote prayers when they keep saying this one over and over again. :cool:

40.png
picasso_13:
What I liked most about the book was that I could then question my Protestant friend’s disagreement with rote prayers when they keep saying this one over and over again. :cool:
I too have used it this way, be gentile though.

To understand the faith intentions of Bruce Wilkenson and to cultivate an appropriate balance to “Prayer of Jabez” read his follow up companion book “Secrets of the Vine.” Its theme is about understanding personal suffering and welcoming it as an opportunity to discern where and why we enter periods of “pruning” in our spiritual walk. I found in it ideas compatible with Catholicism’s profound understanding of suffering, but expressed in an easily digestible manner. Interesting to note is that this message didn’t catch on with the popularity of “Jabez!”

Blessings All

Very popular book. However, it teeters on the edge of the “name it and claim it” gospel. Many Protestant writers decry it as crossing the line into the prosperity gospel nonsense.

I think both books have some good material in them. But as a word of caution, I do not think that all included is compatable with Catholic teaching. In Secrets of the Vine, I found it interesting that the author went to disproportionate lengths to explain that Jn 15:6 does not refer to losing one’s salvation and going to hell. There are many other more subtle aspects of his interpretation that emphasize the protestent belief in assurance of salvation and ignore the effects of mortal sin.

Bump! I had to respond. I went to a “health and wealth”, “spirit-filled” evangelical non-denominational church for two years, and was highly involved in it. They do believe the prayer of Jabez confirms their theology that God wants us to be rich. They even had a large framed prayer of Jabez on a wall in the hallway, and the associate pastor, who leads the offering and finds the scriptures that justify demanding a tithe, also has it in his office. The pastor at this church has taught several times from the pulpit that since God promised us “an inheritance” and God isn’t a liar, the we have a right to “demand what is ours! God said it was ours! You don’t ask for it! That’s why you’re not getting it! You don’t ask for what is yours! You DEMAND it!! (Amen preacher! Halleluia!)” Seriously that’s what he said. Health and wealth evangelical “gospel” is selfish, greedy DEMANDS upon God to provide us everything we want, and not just what we need.

We call the Jabez Prayer the “Protestant hail Mary”.

Very popular book. However, it teeters on the edge of the “name it and claim it” gospel. Many Protestant writers decry it as crossing the line into the prosperity gospel nonsense.
I’ve had years of experience with the prosperity gospel - NI&CI folks. This is one of their textbooks.

There is so much valuable Catholic reading out there, why go for junk food when we can never eat the entire banquet that is available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back