Prayer of St. Ephrem

• Thread starter Thread starter jj2011
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jj2011

Since Great Lent is imminent, I’d like to offer prayers for Christians of eastern tradition and also post the beautiful,
traditional prayer of St. Ephrem. (From EWTN.com)

{Making a prostration}

O LORD, Master of my life, grant that I may not be infected with the
spirit of slothfulness and inquisitiveness, with the spirit of ambition and vain talking.

{Making a prostration}

Grant instead to me, your servant, the spirit of purity and of
humility, the spirit of patience and neighborly love.

{Making a third prostration}

O Lord and King, grant me the grace of being aware of my sins and of not thinking evil of those of my brethren.
For you are blessed, now and ever, and forever.

Amen.

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory Forever!

The prayer of St. Ephrem is indeed a beautiful prayer which in its few lines shows us how to live a life in Christ.

This prayer is an integral part of the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts which we celebrate each Wednesday and Friday of the Great Fast.

Yours in Christ,

Father Deacon Paul

Alternative translation I use:

PRAYER OF SAINT EHPREM
O Lord and Master of my life! Take from me the spirit of sloth, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. *(Prostration) *

But give rather the spirit of chastity, humility, patience and love to Your servant. (Prostration)

Yes, O Lord and King! Grant me to see my own transgressions and not to judge my brother; For blessed are You for ages of ages. Amen. (Prostration)

Then, crossing ourselves:

God, be merciful to me, a sinner.
God, cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me.
I have sinned without number, forgive me, O Lord. (X 4)

*And once again the Prayer of St. Ephraim, with one poklon (prostration) at the end. *
FDRLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back