Prayer request

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cyril_Of_Canada
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cyril_Of_Canada

Guest
I had my brothers over for my birthday the other day. They were at my home and we were having a pleasant time together. I’m not catholic yet, but I do have catholic bibles that I keep to myself most of the time. I haven’t shown them to my wife or protestant community I’m part of because they have anti-catholic beliefs and aren’t receptive of my desire to investigate catholicism and become a catholic.

So yesterday, on my birthday, in my own home, I offered to show my catholic bibles to my brothers. My athiest brother was really cool with it and I mainly wanted to only show him and share some material I really care about and that has influenced me(Such as the Catholic Answers tract “Pillar Of Fire”). Not so much my younger brother, who is usually indifferent to religion, religious discussions, and who shrugged and accepted my decision to want to convert to catholicism that I had told him back a few months ago. He and his fiance, who go to a pentecostal church, had shrugged and seemed indifferent to it and respectful.

However, my brother who was usually indifferent started to make this comments that seemed ignorant about catholics and the catholic faith. He started to go on about how catholics can’t work sundays, can’t do anything leisurely on sundays and, other than going to church, have to stay home on sundays and do nothing. It sounded a lot like treating it literally like a jewish sabbath, so I thought, that sounds kinda untrue. So I asked him some questions to see what he’d think about nurses and medical pracitioners working on sundays.

I asked him where he heard his ideas about catholics and sundays from. He told me he heard it from others who were catholic(or maybe were ex-catholic?). He mentioned he had read some stuff too and had heard things from others. He didn’t say where or from who or what book. And he refused to answer my question even though I had asked politely and kindly out of curiousity. It concerned me because I didn’t think he really had looked into the claims of catholicism much, and I was hoping he wasn’t hearing it from anti-catholic material.
I’m already having trouble enough with people from my own christian community and my wife. I really didn’t want to have to deal with misinformation from my own brother either.

So I said, “Hey, I got a catholic catechism, so let’s see what it has to say about working on sundays.” I got it then he remarked how he didn’t want to see it. I thought “okay” so I pulled a tract post from catholic answers website(not forum) that seemed to settle the question.

He refused to even look at it and just told me with a smile that I was trying to prove a point, as if I was trying to win some kind of argument of debate—seemingly amused me at me as if I was trying to do it just to be right. I took that remark and just let it be, and left further discussion alone. I’m not trying to argue or debate, I just wanted to show him the truth but if he doesn’t want to hear it, then fine. I’ll leave it. By now, I had completely forgot about sharing the catholic bible with my other, athiest brother and proceeded to put them, alonf with the catechism, away.

We eventually settled down in my living room to play some board games as we usually do when all we hang out together. At one point, he blurted out that catholics worship Mary. I took offense to this, and wondered even why he blurted it out. What was he trying to do saying something that clearly offended me, in my own home, on my birthday. Fine. We’re
brothers who can usually talk about any subject with no trouble. And my brother is usually indifferent to religion, but this was different. I was wondering why he was acting this way, in my own home, on my birthday. What had suddenly gotten into him. So I responded by saying that catholics don’t worship Mary, and then asked where he was getting his information from.

He said he read books and heard things from others. What books and who was telling him these things, I thought. No doubt maybe my own investigation into catholicism and having told him I wanted to convert may have motivated him to investigate the claims of the catholic church—or maybe anti-catholic people in his life who knew I wanted to convert had told him such anti-catholic ideas. Nonetheless, I tried to reason with him and share what I had learned, but he wasn’t having any of it. He kept asserting that catholics worship Mary while refusing to listen to anything I have to say, which I thought was rude and inconsiderate.

Knowing that out mom was catholic, I asked “Does mom worship Mary?” “Do you know what communion of the saints is?” And other questions to get him thinking. Still, he kept asserting catholics worship Mary, even though my athiest brother was intrigued by questions. I was having enough of his stubborn attitude toward me and just asked why he had to keep saying that and bringing it up. “I don’t worship Mary. You’re saying I’m an idolator.” But he went silent.
 
At this point, we tried to keep playing our board game in silence but I was already disturbed by this and couldn’t focus. I decided to quit the game and remove myself saying I didn’t want to play anymore. And then as I was about to leave the room and remove myself(I wanted a time out), my younger brother said he going to leave instead. And he left my home.
And my athiest brother was dumbfounded at all this, asking why can’t we just get along. He thought I hadn’t done anything wrong though, considering it was my birthday and this was in my own home and my protestant brother didn’t give me a chance to hear anything I had to say: Saying such things and not hearing me out was rude, he thought.
He wanted to confront my brother and I urged him not to.

This whole incident really concerns me because now I just found that my brother is anti-catholic. His fiance might be anti-catholic; Their pentecostal church may be anti-catholic. I’ve been there before and heard nothing anti-catholic from their congregation nor my brother’s girlfriend and his girlfriend’s family. But nonetheless, now in addition to my wife and out current christian community, I now have a brother who has anti-catholic sentiments who is making anti-catholic statements with little respect for me and my feelings. I’m afraid my parents may catch wind of what happened and accuse me of being the instigator of this problem by trying to force religion down my brother’s throat. They already don’t feel I should bring catholicism into my life and feel converting is a bad idea because it is causing marital problems.

My athiest brother wants to confront our brother about what happened because he feels this unresolved conflict is going to fester and get worse. There is a wedding coming up and he doesn’t want this episode to be a source of tension between us and something in our family. I urged him to drop it and not engage him or confront him and to just leave it for now. To not even bring it up. And if anyone accuses me of anything, then I had no plans to defend myself the further the conflict.

It’s a real downer how much people who bear the name of christian strongly oppose catholic beliefs and close their ears to the truth. They want to make their statements without reading any material from catholics themselves or catholic appologists. I wouldn’t usually go to any protestants home as a guest, especially on their birthday, and make statements such as “Protestants are heretics”; “Pentecostalism is a heresy outside of the Church that Jesus established” while refusing to hear others defend their beliefs. If it was an open discussion, sure, but to make statements and refuse to hear what others have to say…

Please pray for me.
 
Praying for peace to be restored in your family so that religious issues will not divide you in the future but be either left alone and not open to discussion if necessary to keep the peace or discussed with an open mind.

God bless you on your journey to Catholicsm,

Mary,
 
Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

†

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

†

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

†
 
I’m saying a prayer.

Like the old saying, “you may be the only copy of the bible that _____ may read.” Remember, that you may be the only example of Catholicism and namely the Catechism that your brother may read. Live your life as an example of the beauty of Catholicism.

When people react that vehemently, they are paying attention. Lead by example, because you attract more Protestant converts with honey than vinegar.

Check out the book Behold Your Mother. It debunks any Protestant propaganda regarding Mary, and it will strengthen your faith. (At least it strengthened mine.)
 
***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***
 
I’m saying a prayer.

Like the old saying, “you may be the only copy of the bible that _____ may read.” Remember, that you may be the only example of Catholicism and namely the Catechism that your brother may read. Live your life as an example of the beauty of Catholicism.

When people react that vehemently, they are paying attention. Lead by example, because you attract more Protestant converts with honey than vinegar.

Check out the book Behold Your Mother. It debunks any Protestant propaganda regarding Mary, and it will strengthen your faith. (At least it strengthened mine.)
Yes, I agree. I wanted to read this book ever since it was mentioned on Catholic Answers Radio. I can’t see him wanting to read it right now. He won’t even read any catholic material I show him the Catholic Answers website.

Thank you all for your prayers and advice. I appreciate it so much.
 
St. John, St. Peter, St. Paul, Our Lady of Guadelupe, pray for us!
 
Praying. That’s the first time I heard someone complain about not being able to work on Sunday. 😉
 
Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

†

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

†

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

†
 
Remembering you and your family in my daily prayers. God bless.
 
Praying for you and your family…
+

*O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, who brought forth the Son of God still remaining a Virgin, assist us in this necessity. *
  • O Star of the Sea, help us, and show us that you are our Mother. *
  • O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, we humbly ask you from the depths of our heart to help us in this necessity. There are none who can withstand your power. *
  • O show us that you are our Mother.*
  • O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. **Sweet Mother, we place this cause in your hands. *
  • Amen.*
Flos Carmeli
 
Prayers continuing for you and your family…
+

*O most beautiful Flower of Mount Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, who brought forth the Son of God still remaining a Virgin, assist us in this necessity. *
  • O Star of the Sea, help us, and show us that you are our Mother. *
  • O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and earth, we humbly ask you from the depths of our heart to help us in this necessity. There are none who can withstand your power. *
  • O show us that you are our Mother.*
  • O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. **Sweet Mother, we place this cause in your hands. *Amen.
Flos Carmeli
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top