C
Coustana
Guest
I would like to know who authored the Prayer to St. Michael, and when?
Pope Leo XIII from a vision he saw:I would like to know who authored the Prayer to St. Michael, and when?
Whoops! Didn’t mean to say “the destruction of the Church”. I was trying to type while eating my dinner and didn’t get that thought written down clearly. I was thinking about the “auto-demolition” comment by Pope Paul VI while I was typing and apparently typed “destruction” by accident.No, I don’t think it’s right at all to lay the destruction of the Church at her own feet.
Heh, sounds like you’ve got a handle on it, then.I’m hesitant to say this, but I have found myself in “the valley of the shadow of death” many times, and always end up looking back to see only the two sets of footprints. He loves us! I trust that my belief will never be stolen from me no matter how deeply I burrow into the “can of worms”…or maybe “up through” the can of worms?I had a deep friendship with a now-gone priest who used to slow me down with: “That’s God’s problem.” Maybe he was right, but I believe God’s gift to me was a set of question marks, which is why I converted. I would like to have a discussion with someone on these topics. :coffeeread:
Ah! Found the quote about the “smoke of satan” given by Paul VI in 1972:…
I also read, though do not know if it is true, that Pope Benedict early on stated he detected the “smoke of Satan” within the Vatican (verify if true)…
By some fissure the smoke of Satan has entered into the temple of God: there is doubt, uncertainty, problems, unrest. Doubt has entered our consciences, and it has entered through the windows which were meant to have been opened to the light. This state of uncertainty reigns even in the Church. It was hoped that after the Council there would be a day of sunlight in the history of the Church. Instead, there came a day of clouds, of darkness, of groping, of uncertainty. How did this happen? We will confide Our thoughts to you: there has been interference from an adverse power: his name is the devil… [Paul VI, Insegnamenti, Ed. Vaticana, Vol. X, 1972, p. 707]
An article in the Roman journal Ephemerides Liturgicae (V. LXIX, pages 54–60) in 1955 gave an account in Latin and Italian of how the prayer developed. Footnote nine of this account quotes an article in another Italian journal called La Settimana del Clero in 1947 by Fr. Domenico Pechenino who worked at the Vatican during the time of Leo XIII:Pope Leo XIII from a vision he saw:
Here is the full version.Ah! Found the quote about the “smoke of satan” given by Paul VI in 1972:
The devil will not succeed, try as he might. You do not need to worry. We have Christ on our side. Just keep steadfast in your trust in Him.I have been a Catholic since 1981 and I have never ever heard the Prayer of St. Michael said in church, except a few times when a certain woman at one parish would lead the rosary prior to Mass.
75-100 years adds up to 1959 to 1984. We know things have changed drastically since Vatican II. I heard disheartening statistics today on the local Catholic radio station stating that only 16% of current Catholics abide by the moral teachings of the Church. Also I have heard/read other sad statistics elsewhere. I am seriously wondering if Satan is having his way. Many people seem lost to me no matter what their Christian background.
I’m sorry my thread is going off-topic. I now feel afraid. I am going to make myself a Chaplet of St. Michael & begin saying it.
'I saw the Church inspired by the Holy Spirit , introducing various changes in her discipline when devotion and veneration towards the blessed sacrament had grown weak. . . Incalculable graces were thereby bestowed upon the whole Church.75-100 years adds up to 1959 to 1984. We know things have changed drastically since Vatican II. I heard disheartening statistics today on the local Catholic radio station stating that only 16% of current Catholics abide by the moral teachings of the Church. Also I have heard/read other sad statistics elsewhere. I am seriously wondering if Satan is having his way. Many people seem lost to me no matter what their Christian background.
Outstanding! Thank you Patrick.Here is the full version.
Referring to the situation of the Church today, the Holy Father affirms that he has a sense that “from some fissure the smoke of Satan has entered the temple of God.” There is doubt, incertitude, problematic, disquiet, dissatisfaction, confrontation. There is no longer trust of the Church; they trust the first profane prophet who speaks in some journal or some social movement, and they run after him and ask him if he has the formula of true life. And we are not alert to the fact that we are already the owners and masters of the formula of true life. Doubt has entered our consciences, and it entered by windows that should have been open to the light. Science exists to give us truths that do not separate from God, but make us seek him all the more and celebrate him with greater intensity; instead, science gives us criticism and doubt. Scientists are those who more thoughtfully and more painfully exert their minds. But they end up teaching us: “I don’t know, we don’t know, we cannot know.” The school becomes the gymnasium of confusion and sometimes of absurd contradictions. Progress is celebrated, only so that it can then be demolished with revolutions that are more radical and more strange, so as to negate everything that has been achieved, and to come away as primitives after having so exalted the advances of the modern world.
This state of uncertainty even holds sway in the Church. There was the belief that after the Council there would be a day of sunshine for the history of the Church. Instead, it is the arrival of a day of clouds, of tempest, of darkness, of research, of uncertainty. We preach ecumenism but we constantly separate ourselves from others. We seek to dig abysses instead of filling them in.
How has this come about? The Pope entrusts one of his thoughts to those who are present: that there has been an intervention of an adverse power. Its name is the devil, this mysterious being that the Letter of St. Peter also alludes to. So many times, furthermore, in the Gospel, on the lips of Christ himself, the mention of this enemy of men returns. The Holy Father observes, “We believe in something that is preternatural that has come into the world precisely to disturb, to suffocate the fruits of the Ecumenical Council, and to impede the Church from breaking into the hymn of joy at having renewed in fullness its awareness of itself. Precisely for this reason, we should wish to be able, in this moment more than ever, to exercise the function God assigned to Peter, to strengthen the Faith of the brothers. We should wish to communicate to you this charism of certitude that the Lord gives to him who represents him though unworthily on this earth.” Faith gives us certitude, security, when it is based upon the Word of God accepted and consented to with our very own reason and with our very own human spirit. Whoever believes with simplicity, with humility, sense that he is on the good road, that he has an interior testimony that strengthens him in the difficult conquest of the truth.
The Pope concludes: The Lord shows himself to be light and truth for him who accepts him in his Word, and his Word becomes no longer an obstacle to the truth and the path to well-being, but rather a stair-step upon which we can climb and truly be conquerors in the Lord who reveals himself through the path of faith— this faith that is the anticipation and guarantee of the definitive vision.