Prayers and advice for my son

  • Thread starter Thread starter holyrood
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holyrood

Guest
Again, I’m asking for prayers, and any suggestions if anyone else has dealt with this in their kids.

My son is in his early 20s. He has all the signs of Aspergergs and almost without a doubt has/had ADHD growing up. We sought help, but I believe we were given wrong diagnoses, and by the time I had heard of and knew enough about Aspergers to realize we were probably dealing with that, he was too old to make him get help.

So now I have a genius son working at a menial job and not getting moved up at all in the company. He’s buried under debt from his two terms in college, a car loan, and rent. He’s having a tough time finding a second job because he’s trying to balance the hours he tells prospective employers he can work with trying to hang onto his first job, too. He had a girlfriend in high school, but hasn’t had one in several years and when he asks girls out, it usually doesn’t lead to a second date, and often enough not to a first.

He struggles with a quick temper, and to his credit, knows that, has been working on it for years, and has told his siblings he doesn’t drink because he knows drinking and a quick temper can be a bad combination. He gets frustrated and upset with politics and the state of the world today, and all the anger and hatred and ugly names aimed at him as a conservative and Christian.

However, he doesn’t believe he has Aspergers and the one time I suggested he look into it, took it as a criticism of himself rather than a way to find answers for his struggles. 😦 I believe he’s going into depression about his lack of success with girls, and his job and money situation.

I tried to talk to him today about being more positive. I’m sure that his negativity lately is not helping matters with jobs and girls at all. He said there was nothing to be positive about. I said the sun is shining. He said he hates the sun, it gives him a sunburn. I said the grass is green. He said it’s turning brown and dying. We went back and forth with one or two more things before I decided pushing him was also not going to help anything at this particular moment.

If anyone has dealt with these things, and has some wisdom for how I can best help him, I would welcome it. But I suspect at this point, what he most needs is prayer, for help in helping himself, in finding some joy in life, for a better job, for whatever it is he needs, for me to have the wisdom to know what to say and when to just be quiet and not push in ways that won’t help anyway. Please pray for my son. My heart just breaks for him, and yet I know he has things he can only do for himself at this point.

I’m glad to say, he’s going back to church.
 
Asberhers is a difficult diagnosis anda great trial for someone who had it. I will pray for him, God bless you.🙏
 
My prayers for your son and for you.

Have sent a PM with some links that may help …or not.
God bless you and your family
 
My son is going through similiar challenges so I do relate. I understand the difficulty of his situation especially since he worked two jobs and went to school just so he would not have a lot of student loans and kept paying down his tuition. Today, he can’t find a job and I feel he has given up. No girlfriend. Doesn’t even bother calling his friend because they are working and he feels like the outcast of the group.

On the bright side, your son has at least gone back to church. 😉
I pray for my son all the time and have just now put it in God’s hands to help direct him and also to bring him back to church.

I understand your situation and will keep you and your son in prayers too.
 
My son is going through similiar challenges so I do relate. I understand the difficulty of his situation especially since he worked two jobs and went to school just so he would not have a lot of student loans and kept paying down his tuition. Today, he can’t find a job and I feel he has given up. No girlfriend. Doesn’t even bother calling his friend because they are working and he feels like the outcast of the group.

On the bright side, your son has at least gone back to church. 😉
I pray for my son all the time and have just now put it in God’s hands to help direct him and also to bring him back to church.

I understand your situation and will keep you and your son in prayers too.
Has your son found anything at all helpful, horselvr?

I’m very grateful that he has returned to church.

Perhaps all the prayers are already helping. He was so much more cheerful when I saw him today. Please continue to pray for him.
 
He hasn’t found anything yet. I just really had to ask God to take it and help direct my son. I pray all the time that he comes back to church and also has someone call him for a job even if it is not in his field if interest for now.

I am so glad that your son is feeling a little chipper lately as this little glimmer could be the start of things turning around for him.

We will just keep praying for them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top