Prayers answered?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vtech2009
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vtech2009

Guest
Have you ever felt your prayer was answered, if yes, how do you know it wasn’t a coincidence?
 
Yes, my prayers have been answered many times. How do I know? Because they were answered, and it keeps happening. Were my prayers ever not answered? Yes, many times. Do I believe in the efficacy of prayer? You betcha!👍
 
Yes, my prayers have been answered many times. How do I know? Because they were answered, and it keeps happening. Were my prayers ever not answered? Yes, many times. Do I believe in the efficacy of prayer? You betcha!👍
How do you know it was God, and not chance, if you pray so often and for so many things?
 
Yes, I know that my prayers during my mother’s illness. I was consumed with fear and didn’t know that I could cope with what was happening. God heard my prayers and got me and my family through it. I have no doubt in my mind about it.
 
How do you know it was God, and not chance, if you pray so often and for so many things?
OK, I don’t pray for so many things, and what I asked for was not for myself.
Let’s try this, in order to not believe in God, I’d have to disbelieve every miracle ever done in his name. If even one was truly a miracle of God, he exists. To believe that every miracle ever claimed in God’s name was either a lie, an accident, chance, science hasn’t gotten there yet etc etc. would be a miracle in itself. Just because it hasn’t happened to you doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. The universe is more than we know. Some of my prayers were answered so precisely to think it was chance would be absurd.
May God bless you
 
I have prayed the Novena to St.Jude at least a dozen times over the past 10 years or so. Some were for my problems that I faced, others were for other people’s problems. I can attest that each and every time my prayers have been answered. The novena states that by the 8th day, your prayer request will be granted, but in my experience it is often the 8th day of a subsequent month or even the 8th day of the 8th month, or some other “8”.

Maybe I’m a bit overboard on the ‘superstitious’ aspects of the Novena, but I believe there is tremendous power in regular focused concentrated prayer.

My favorite prayer response did not occur to me but to my non-practicing in-law parents. After 11 years of trying and failing to have a baby, and at the encouragement of a devout Catholic family member, they prayed the novena to St Jude. Within a few months, they were pregnant with my future wife. Meanwhile, fast forward many years later at the lowest point of my life when I prayed fervently to meet someone I could spend the rest of my life with. I didn’t pray the St Jude novena since I had never heard of it, but I prayed hard. Despite that I eventually reached a point of resigning myself to a life of loneliness. I then met her at 8 PM on a day in the 8th month of the year, she exceeded my wildest expectations (and still does!). We hit it off immediately, and I was fascinated by her story of how she got the name Judy.

“May the Sacred Heart of Jesus be adored, glorified, loved and praised throughout the world, now and forever. Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us. St. Jude worker of miracles, pray for us. St. Jude helper of the hopeless, pray for us.” Say this prayer 9 times a day for 9 days, and by the 8th day your prayer request will be answered. Publication must be promised.
 
Here is a thought from the screwtape letters of C.S.Lewis on prayer.
" Don’t forget to use the ‘heads I win, tails you lose’ argument. If the thing he prays for doesn’t happen, then that is one more proof that petitionary prayers don’t work; if it does happen, he will, of course, be able to see some of the physical causes which led up to it, and ‘therefore it would have happened anyway’, and thus a granted prayer becomes just as good a proof as a denied one that prayers are ineffective."
Nothing can be more beautiful than when truth is unfolded.

I believe miracles happen every day, and I’ve had even a few of my own happen by prayer.

Just recently a relative had to have an operation because of a deadly condition he contracted. The operation could go either way. Several xrays showed this condition.

On the morning of the operation, just before it was to take place, it was decided to take a final xray just to be sure. They came back and told us his condition no longer existed…he was clean. The doctor said in all his experience he has never seen anything like this and that something else was going on here that he could not explain. That happened about two years ago.

“I know the sun is shinning even when it isn’t shinning.” Christian hymn
 
OK so a follow up question. There are many prayers you guys mention where there are certain promises or indulgences. Why is that so? Can I not just open my prayer book and pray random prayers, like Our Father, Hail Mary, some Littany, this one a couple times, another a couple times… does this not produce indulgences, graces, and answers to prayers?

I thought when the Apostles asked Jesus how they should prayer, Jesus recited the Lord’s Prayer. So why not just pray the Lord’s Prayer?
 
I thought when the Apostles asked Jesus how they should prayer, Jesus recited the Lord’s Prayer. So why not just pray the Lord’s Prayer?
If you are called to pray the Lord’s Prayer,
then that is exactly what you should do.

:blessyou:
 
OK so a follow up question. There are many prayers you guys mention where there are certain promises or indulgences. Why is that so? Can I not just open my prayer book and pray random prayers, like Our Father, Hail Mary, some Littany, this one a couple times, another a couple times… does this not produce indulgences, graces, and answers to prayers?

I thought when the Apostles asked Jesus how they should prayer, Jesus recited the Lord’s Prayer. So why not just pray the Lord’s Prayer?
The effectiveness of prayer has a good deal to do with the way we enter prayer…our love, humility, trust, purity, intensity, need, abandonment, and so on. We are prayer.

A person entering prayer thinking that he/she knows the combination to the safe that gets what they want out of God will not be answered. The person who is demanding, like God must give it to them because they think they deserve it, or have worked hard for it, will be greatly disappointed and may even lose faith. No humility, no love, no purity…just plain gaul.

But once they see this mistake…that God will not be bullied, nor give into pride and self-centeredness(which would just encourage this sin)…then they will see a different outcome. God always and invariably looks to the heart of a person.

So say any prayer whatever it is you would like to say…but say it with love and humility, meaning and abandonment.

May the Lord be generous to you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top