R
rayne89
Guest
My father just celebrated his 78th birthday last week. He’s always had a sharp mind, he’s a very intelligent man…and for lack of a being able to think of a better way to explain it always aware of what is proper and polite.
Yesterday while at dinner at my parents my father asked about something he’s requested my husband to print out from the internet several days earlier. My husband had forgotten about it and so had I for that matter so it was left behind on the kitchen table. My father blurts out to my husband “when God was giving out brains he obviously missed you” and laughs. I was stunned. It was so out of character for my dad. I said scoldingly “Dad that was not nice.” I was hoping he would say he was only kidding but instead he says “Well its true.” I argued a bit but he clearly was not going to rescind his comment so I dropped it because it was just drawing more attention to it.
Today he called while I was napping and my daughter answered the phone. He told her that I needed to lose weight she said “what?” He repeated tell your mother she needs to lose weight. You can tell just tell her or you can tell I said you needed to tell her. My daughter was like “O…K…Grandpa.” and that was all he called for.
I do need to lose weight I agree but it was very strange that he would call just to say that and weird that he would be asking my daughter to tell me I needed to lose weight as if it was coming from her.
The first comment was far more out of character from my father than the second but still odd. My father will speak his mind with me at times but if my husband has ever done anything that he doesn’t like he always says it to me never directly to him…even many years go when my husband was battling alcoholism and he sure had reason to criticize him then.
My husband and father really do get along well. My father is a retired engineer my husband jobs have been in machining and they often talk “shop”. I was already wondering if this was an age thing and when the strange phone call came today it really made me uneasy.
I adore my father and respect him immensely. It’ll just break my heart if this is a sign of what is to come as his gets older. I so do not want that for him.
Yesterday while at dinner at my parents my father asked about something he’s requested my husband to print out from the internet several days earlier. My husband had forgotten about it and so had I for that matter so it was left behind on the kitchen table. My father blurts out to my husband “when God was giving out brains he obviously missed you” and laughs. I was stunned. It was so out of character for my dad. I said scoldingly “Dad that was not nice.” I was hoping he would say he was only kidding but instead he says “Well its true.” I argued a bit but he clearly was not going to rescind his comment so I dropped it because it was just drawing more attention to it.
Today he called while I was napping and my daughter answered the phone. He told her that I needed to lose weight she said “what?” He repeated tell your mother she needs to lose weight. You can tell just tell her or you can tell I said you needed to tell her. My daughter was like “O…K…Grandpa.” and that was all he called for.
I do need to lose weight I agree but it was very strange that he would call just to say that and weird that he would be asking my daughter to tell me I needed to lose weight as if it was coming from her.
The first comment was far more out of character from my father than the second but still odd. My father will speak his mind with me at times but if my husband has ever done anything that he doesn’t like he always says it to me never directly to him…even many years go when my husband was battling alcoholism and he sure had reason to criticize him then.
My husband and father really do get along well. My father is a retired engineer my husband jobs have been in machining and they often talk “shop”. I was already wondering if this was an age thing and when the strange phone call came today it really made me uneasy.
I adore my father and respect him immensely. It’ll just break my heart if this is a sign of what is to come as his gets older. I so do not want that for him.
May St. Joseph interceed for your father before Our Heavenly Father.