Prayers for use with Holy Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Simon27
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Simon27

Guest
I’ve looked around the web and haven’t really found any. Is the use of holy water outside of the Church that uncommon? I’ve used holy water with prayer (including one I wrote specifically for use with holy water) at home before, and was wondering if anyone else did it or if I was alone? Does anyone know of any prayers, or where such prayers might be found? Thank you for your time.

Simon
 
You can cross yourself with the holy water and then pray anything you wish.
 
The sprinkling of holy water is itself a prayer. As to written prayers, the only thing I could find in the Raccolta is the Sign of the Cross (at one time an indulgence of 50 days, or of 100 days with holy water; now it’s a partial indulgence whether one uses holy water or not).

A prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours which I think would be appropriate with holy water is the following:

Lord, we beg you to visit this house and banish from it all the deadly power of the enemy. May your holy angels dwell here to keep us in peace, and may your blessing be upon us always. We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Amen.
 
I often use this prayer that I found online:

“By this holy water and by Your Precious Blood, wash away all my sins, O Lord.”

After making the sign of the Cross, you might also like to sprinkle any residual Holy Water on the ground - accompanied by a brief prayer - for the relief of the poor souls in Purgatory.
 
I always used to do prayers because i believe that some day my prayers will work and i will get what i want. So i always keep on praying.

spiritvine.net/
 
A prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours which I think would be appropriate with holy water is the following:

Lord, we beg you to visit this house and banish from it all the deadly power of the enemy. May your holy angels dwell here to keep us in peace, and may your blessing be upon us always. We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Amen.
This is a very beautiful prayer 🙂 Thank you all for sharing your prayers. It seems the majority of prayers for use with holy water, including one I wrote myself, are intended to repel diabolical presence. If anyone is interested, I’ll share mine.

Blessed Waters
Lord, we pray that by this Holy Water, this space be cleansed & consecrated to you. We pray by your divine power, that this space be made free of all diabolical presence. As our baptismal waters delivered us from sin & brought your graces upon us, so we pray that these blessed waters wash away all traces of evil, and that your graces be poured out among us. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen
 
Hi Simon,

That’s a really beautiful prayer that you wrote. When I use holy water, I usually include protection against evil in my prayers, too. It seems that we are all basically doing the same thing when we pray. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top