Prayers that offer Jesus to God

  • Thread starter Thread starter EIF5A
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EIF5A

Guest
For instance, the Divine Mercy chaplet “Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Your dearly beloved son Our Lord Jesus Christ…”

and

a Fatima prayer “Most Holy Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit- I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world…”

I feel kind of odd saying those prayers. I’m not a priest and my sins and their bad effects are numerous — how can I offer God the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ?

How does a layperson offer to God something infinite and holy? It seems presumptuous…
 
For me, I think of it more of an invocation ( a recalling of the reality ) than a literal “offering”.

I’m surprised that this has come up in RCIA. Are you in a second year? We barely have enough time to go through Salvation History in our groups…we save the private devotions for the period of Mystagogia. Interesting.
Have a blessed Christmas.
 
Thank you for asking this! I was wondering the same thing as I prayed the chaplet of Divine Mercy a few days ago!
 
For instance, the Divine Mercy chaplet “Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Your dearly beloved son Our Lord Jesus Christ…”

and

a Fatima prayer “Most Holy Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit- I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world…”

I feel kind of odd saying those prayers. I’m not a priest and my sins and their bad effects are numerous — how can I offer God the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ?

How does a layperson offer to God something infinite and holy? It seems presumptuous…
Remember when you encounter things like this in Catholicism, that these prayers were written in other languages and sometimes don’t make sense to us because of translation issues or cultural issues.

I see this as sort of a dedication or an acknowledgement of the greatness of God in all his forms.

By the way, I am thrilled you are on RCIA, enjoy this time as you learn and prepare and discern for Easter.
 
For instance, the Divine Mercy chaplet “Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Your dearly beloved son Our Lord Jesus Christ…”

and

a Fatima prayer “Most Holy Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit- I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world…”

I feel kind of odd saying those prayers. I’m not a priest and my sins and their bad effects are numerous — how can I offer God the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ?

How does a layperson offer to God something infinite and holy? It seems presumptuous…
It is a good question.

As a baptised person we belong to the body of Chirst who is the head. So we are one body with Christ the high priest. That is the function of Jesus, to be a priest to offer sacrifice for the sins of the world. He is the bridgebuilder and saviour.

We belonging to christ, the highpriest, we too have the power to offer sacrifice with him as being a priestly people united to our high priest.

So when we say “Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Your dearly beloved son Our Lord Jesus Christ…”, we offer him and with him in all the masses throughout the world as well as offer Jesus present in all the tabernacles in the world to our heavenly Father.

It is one of the most powerful prayers we can offer because the Father loves his beloved Son more that all creation, and nothing could please him more or be more effective. And we belonging to his body being members, we too offer ourselves with him as well. Powerful and beautiful prayer, and worth meditation in itself.

Nothing could be more dear to our Father and get his attention than to go thru his Son who he loves more than anything from all eternity.

May divine mercy, peace, and love be yours in ever greater measure.
 
For instance, the Divine Mercy chaplet “Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Your dearly beloved son Our Lord Jesus Christ…”

and

a Fatima prayer “Most Holy Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit- I adore Thee profoundly. I offer Thee the most precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, present in all the tabernacles of the world…”

I feel kind of odd saying those prayers. I’m not a priest and my sins and their bad effects are numerous — how can I offer God the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ?

How does a layperson offer to God something infinite and holy? It seems presumptuous…
If you’re baptized, you ARE a priest; you share in what’s called the common priesthood of the baptized. As such, you do offer the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ to God in your participation in the priesthood of Christ. It’s just that the manner of offering is different. While the ordained priest does so in persona Christi, by virtue of his Orders, we laity do so in union with the ministerial priest, and with all other priests doing the same thing. We do this by uniting our prayers, joys, sorrows, sufferings with Christ on the Cross. The manner of offering is spiritual, not sacramental.
 
If you’re baptized, you ARE a priest; you share in what’s called the common priesthood of the baptized. As such, you do offer the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ to God in your participation in the priesthood of Christ. It’s just that the manner of offering is different. While the ordained priest does so in persona Christi, by virtue of his Orders, we laity do so in union with the ministerial priest, and with all other priests doing the same thing. We do this by uniting our prayers, joys, sorrows, sufferings with Christ on the Cross. The manner of offering is spiritual, not sacramental.
Thanks for teaching me something! This is very cool and makes a lot of sense. Sometimes its easy to forget that we as laity are an essential part in offering the mass.
 
Thanks for teaching me something! This is very cool and makes a lot of sense. Sometimes its easy to forget that we as laity are an essential part in offering the mass.
Ah yes: priest, prophet and king. 🙂
 
The Holy Trinity is a mystery beyond human comprehension, but it’s hard to understand Jesus, God Incarnate, offering Himself to God the Father.

I have not been sacramentally forgiven, and even if God has forgiven me outside of Catholic confession box, there’s still much evil disposition, venial sins, and mortal sins in my soul.

The only reason I pray the Divine Mercy chaplet is because the Church has officially recognized it, and the private revelation of Jesus never said one has to be in a state of perfection and grace…so I pray in the hopes that even my imperfect prayer and wandering thoughts during the recitation can merit a tiny bit of grace.

Maybe I can ask my guardian angel to pray with me, that way at least a sinless being would be praying simultaneously. But maybe he’s away elsewhere.
 
The way I pray it, we are offering the suffering that Christ went through for our sins.

I am offering **His **‘atonement’ (not the right word, but something along those lines…sacrifcie? Suffering?) for the sins I’ve committed, the sins I’m asking forgiveness and Mercy for.
 
We offer the offering of Christ over and over again
BECAUSE He is the final sacrifice for sin! His
Sacrifice is the last word of the Father against sin!
We are perfected by it and no more need to be
done for sin! Hallelujah!!! See Heb. 10:14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top