Praying at all times

  • Thread starter Thread starter roccoangelo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roccoangelo

Guest
Greetings,

Can someone please give me an example of how we are to “pray at all times”? I know that somewhere in scripture there is a verse where someone (our Lord?) says that we are to pray at all times, but how? In what context? When I’m at work I know that I have moments throughout my day when I’m not busy, should I be using this time for prayer? And if so, should praying in those times be a higher priority than say reading a book (of say a saint’s life, or learning another language? (I’m learning Latin))

Pax Christi,
Rocco
 
The prayer you are talking about is the dispostion in which you are doing whatever the task. The work itself can be a prayer … an offering to God.

Here is a quote from St. Augustine, “Love God and then do what you will.”.

Loving and trusting God’s will for you then doing what you are doing is God’s will. Peeling potatoes can be a prayer … an offering. You do this so your family can eat mashed potatoes and you do it thanking God for potatoes, and butter and enough money to buy them. This is how a whole life can be a prayer. I think Saints are made of this stuff.

Nothing is too small to be an offering to God.
 
Greetings,

Can someone please give me an example of how we are to “pray at all times”? I know that somewhere in scripture there is a verse where someone (our Lord?) says that we are to pray at all times, but how? In what context? When I’m at work I know that I have moments throughout my day when I’m not busy, should I be using this time for prayer? And if so, should praying in those times be a higher priority than say reading a book (of say a saint’s life, or learning another language? (I’m learning Latin))

Pax Christi,
Rocco
AMEN to all that ncgolf said. 🙂

Rocco, a little book many thousands have found helpful in keeping a prayerful heart in the midst of their busy lives is The Practice of the Presence of God, by Br. Lawrence of the Resurrection, O.C.D. The book in its entirety (only 19 pages) can be printed for one’s personal use from this site:

practicegodspresence.com/

Also, reading from good books, such as a life of a Saint, can be a springboard to prayer; St. Teresa of Jesus, e.g., found such books extremely helpful in focussing her mind on God.
 
ncgolf,
The prayer you are talking about is the dispostion in which you are doing whatever the task. The work itself can be a prayer … an offering to God.
I see. Thanks that makes alot of sense. 👍
Here is a quote from St. Augustine, “Love God and then do what you will.”.
Got it. 👍
Loving and trusting God’s will for you then doing what you are doing is God’s will.
Hmm… Okay. Obviously that works with St. Augustine’s quote.
Peeling potatoes can be a prayer … an offering. You do this so your family can eat mashed potatoes and you do it thanking God for potatoes, and butter and enough money to buy them. This is how a whole life can be a prayer.
I see. I guess one main factor in all this is how open to prayer we’re allowing ourselves to be. Another is that if we’re not used to praying in the way you described above, it probably won’t come easily (…but then again, prayer is war isn’t it?)
I think Saints are made of this stuff.
Yes, you’re right.
Nothing is too small to be an offering to God.
Quite right. Sounds like St. Therese’s “little way”. I’m reading her autobiography right now and trying to implement her humble way of living.

Pax Christi,
Rocco
 
FGEGM,
Rocco, a little book many thousands have found helpful in keeping a prayerful heart in the midst of their busy lives is The Practice of the Presence of God, by Br. Lawrence of the Resurrection, O.C.D. The book in its entirety (only 19 pages) can be printed for one’s personal use from this site:
Awsome… Thank you so much. 🙂
Also, reading from good books, such as a life of a Saint, can be a springboard to prayer; St. Teresa of Jesus, e.g., found such books extremely helpful in focussing her mind on God.
Yep… that’s what I’m doing. Grazie.

Pax Christi,
Rocco
 
Greetings,

Can someone please give me an example of how we are to “pray at all times”? I know that somewhere in scripture there is a verse where someone (our Lord?) says that we are to pray at all times, but how? In what context? When I’m at work I know that I have moments throughout my day when I’m not busy, should I be using this time for prayer? And if so, should praying in those times be a higher priority than say reading a book (of say a saint’s life, or learning another language? (I’m learning Latin))

Pax Christi,
Rocco
If a any moment during the day or night if you place yourself in the presence of Almighty God no words are needed just meditate on being one with the Lord filled with His Holy Spirit.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top