L
lovedance4ever
Guest
Hello all.
I cannot remember if I have ever posted anything about this situation before, so I do apologize if any of this sounds familiar. However, new and disturbing happenings have given me the need to write about it, as my family and myself are despairing.
I have never had a decent relationship with my sister. First of all, she is 23 years older than I am, which already presents the obstacle of an age difference. Now I have three nieces, and while I realize (more than many know) that she was a busy mother by the time I was two, I still think she could have found some time to be a big sister to me. But she did not. From the time I can remember, she was vicious to me; not just indifferent. There were times when she slapped me hard on the arm. It is difficult to say whether or not it was a joke or not, but the red mark left on my skin made me think it was done with more malice than anything else.
She also let my young nieces abuse me (they are all younger than me). One particular time, my oldest niece was chasing me around, hitting me with a broom and I ran up and told my sister (mind you, I was five at the time and my niece was two or three). She told me I was a horrible tattle-tale, and I was a bad aunt for telling on my niece.
There are many more instances that I can write about (such as her never returning my calls, telling me that I was a bad influences on my nieces as we got older, letting her children put down the Catholic Church and making me apologize for defending it, etc.), but I will move on to more current events.
In 2008, I had had about enough, but STILL wanted a better relationship with my sister. And so I took it upon myself to write a kind letter, explaining my feelings and how I hoped our relationship would improve. She responded almost immediately saying that she did not know I felt that way and would have to wait a day or two to compose a response. Fair enough. Well, three weeks went by and I still had not heard from her. My heart was breaking and I insisted to my mother that my sister did not care deep down. My mom felt bad, and decided to call her and ask what was going on. So she did, and got the answer, “My non-response is my response.”
I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown after that; I felt so abandoned and betrayed by my sister. However, about a week later, several things happened that led us to believe (or rather, just confirmed our suspicions) that her husband was abusing her, both emotionally and physically. Now, he is a Methodist “minister” in the airforce, so the whole time this was taking place, they were on the West Coast of the US, while we resided on the East Coast. Also, her husband had previous hateful behavior toward my parents and myself (he shoved my father one day for no particular reason, and liked to pretend to be my sister while IMing my mother). In other words, he is a miserable, vindictive human being who hides behind the image of a pure and caring minister.
After hearing about the abuse, I felt horrible for further complicating her life, and so I immediately called her up and apologized profusely for horrible behavior that I had not committed. She said “I forgive you,” and everything was fine and dandy for a year.
Then they got the news that they were moving to Japan. We went down to visit them, and her husband was again, miserable to all of us, but I was enjoying the close bond I had formed with my nieces (who were 13, 11, and 9 at the time). They had begun calling/IMing me daily, and the love I had for them was beyond description. Our relationship was incredible. As moving day grew closer for them, they stopped writing, answering messages, calling, etc. My sister even went so far as to call my mom and rub in that my youngest niece was heartbroken that she could not get ahold of her friend to say goodbye - the whole time, I had left many messages on their answering machine trying to say goodbye. The hurtful behavior had begun again, and I had had about enough. The anger grew, and even though I could have worded it differently, I wrote a harsh letter telling her that nothing had changed, and that I was a human being who deserved respect. Basically, I cut it off with her. She never responded.
A year went by without ANY contact what-so-ever with any of them. I wrote to my nieces, and I suspect that my e-mails were discarded by their hateful father. Finally, I wrote to my sister begging her to let me talk to her girls again, and she responded saying that I was a hateful, vicious human being, who made up lies about her, her husband, and her girls.
I was stunned, but I responded, and tried the best I could to defend myself. She told me that unless I gave her an apology, she would never let me speak to her daughters again. It was a difficult decision, but I told her that I would do no such thing and that I deserved an apology first, for being treated so harshly by her all my life. Again, she never responded.
Two months later, my nana’s stomach cancer had gone into remission, and she asked me if I would write to my sister to let her know what was going on (I know that she was secretly trying to get us back together). I obeyed, and was surprised when my very cheery sister responded to me as if nothing happened. Several exchanges later, she told me that my nieces were free to speak with me. Looking back, I realize that free meant “allowed, but unwilling.” My oldest niece began IMing me for a short period of time, but eventually, all messages ceased. My sister would go three months at a time without speaking with me, as well. Hurt began to build up again, and I decided to simply stop responding. Letter writing was not working, and so I thought I would do the opposite. I must admit that a part, if not all of me did that to get even for all of the pain she caused me. And so she wrote (very rarely, mind you), and I ignored.
Well, several months ago, we got the news that they are moving back to the States; about a day’s drive from where we live. My aunt even went so far as to create a big party for them, so that those who wanted to visit with them would be able to come to their home to visit. I was seething, because in the first place, my family (outside of my parents) does not give a flying fig about me, and thinks that I am imagining a majority of what has happening with my sister. I was invited, but declined the invitation, knowing that I would be talked about.
My mom then composed a kind letter to my sister just a few days ago, saying that my father did not want to have her husband in his home (which he had stated to her before, but my mom wanted to make sure that my sister did not think that my father had a change of heart). She said that she loved my sister, and did not want them to come into an unpleasant situation without reason. She also stated that my father, nor I, would come to the party.
My sister responded, yet again, with a mean letter, not admitting a word of guilt and blaming all on me and my father. She said that we lied and our anger was “unfounded.” She also said she was not surprised that my father and I would not show up for the party.
My mom received this yesterday. I cried; I think we all did. Then I got so angry, I felt as if I could hurt someone (her husband), which surprised me, as I am generally not a violent person.
Well, we are friends with a kind, compassionate Eastern Orthodox monk who was supposed to come to dinner the same day. And I’m glad he did. He said my feelings were valid, and that they will continue playing the game until I took control of it. I needed to hand them something “greasy.” And I did. I responded, instead of my mother, to my sister. I was kind. I told her that I was sorry that she misinterpreted my letters and that they caused her pain. I ended it (using a line given to me by the Eastern Orthodox monk) by saying, “You are absolutely correct when you say that reconciliation will happen when two parties are willing, and until we are both adults, all attempts at a relationship, if necessary, should come to a halt.”
So here I am, proud of the letter I sent, but frightened that I will receive just another painful letter. I pray for a miracle every day, but I feel hopeless and like things will never change. It seems like a crumpled piece of paper that will never be the same after it has been damaged.
I know my letters were not perfect. I know that I am not perfect. But I feel as though she owes me more than what she has given. She cannot even tell me what year I am in college…sometimes, not even my age.
I apologize for the length of this. Prayers are greatly appreciated, and advice if you have the time to sift through all of my blathering. My heart hurts so much. Please pray for a miracle, I do not know how much more of this I can take without breaking down. I want my nieces back.
Thank you so much for listening. You guys are always amazing with your responses, and they are so very appreciated and welcomed. Please feel free to tell me what I have done wrong, as I know I need to hear it.
May it be blessed,
Christa
I cannot remember if I have ever posted anything about this situation before, so I do apologize if any of this sounds familiar. However, new and disturbing happenings have given me the need to write about it, as my family and myself are despairing.
I have never had a decent relationship with my sister. First of all, she is 23 years older than I am, which already presents the obstacle of an age difference. Now I have three nieces, and while I realize (more than many know) that she was a busy mother by the time I was two, I still think she could have found some time to be a big sister to me. But she did not. From the time I can remember, she was vicious to me; not just indifferent. There were times when she slapped me hard on the arm. It is difficult to say whether or not it was a joke or not, but the red mark left on my skin made me think it was done with more malice than anything else.
She also let my young nieces abuse me (they are all younger than me). One particular time, my oldest niece was chasing me around, hitting me with a broom and I ran up and told my sister (mind you, I was five at the time and my niece was two or three). She told me I was a horrible tattle-tale, and I was a bad aunt for telling on my niece.
There are many more instances that I can write about (such as her never returning my calls, telling me that I was a bad influences on my nieces as we got older, letting her children put down the Catholic Church and making me apologize for defending it, etc.), but I will move on to more current events.
In 2008, I had had about enough, but STILL wanted a better relationship with my sister. And so I took it upon myself to write a kind letter, explaining my feelings and how I hoped our relationship would improve. She responded almost immediately saying that she did not know I felt that way and would have to wait a day or two to compose a response. Fair enough. Well, three weeks went by and I still had not heard from her. My heart was breaking and I insisted to my mother that my sister did not care deep down. My mom felt bad, and decided to call her and ask what was going on. So she did, and got the answer, “My non-response is my response.”
I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown after that; I felt so abandoned and betrayed by my sister. However, about a week later, several things happened that led us to believe (or rather, just confirmed our suspicions) that her husband was abusing her, both emotionally and physically. Now, he is a Methodist “minister” in the airforce, so the whole time this was taking place, they were on the West Coast of the US, while we resided on the East Coast. Also, her husband had previous hateful behavior toward my parents and myself (he shoved my father one day for no particular reason, and liked to pretend to be my sister while IMing my mother). In other words, he is a miserable, vindictive human being who hides behind the image of a pure and caring minister.
After hearing about the abuse, I felt horrible for further complicating her life, and so I immediately called her up and apologized profusely for horrible behavior that I had not committed. She said “I forgive you,” and everything was fine and dandy for a year.
Then they got the news that they were moving to Japan. We went down to visit them, and her husband was again, miserable to all of us, but I was enjoying the close bond I had formed with my nieces (who were 13, 11, and 9 at the time). They had begun calling/IMing me daily, and the love I had for them was beyond description. Our relationship was incredible. As moving day grew closer for them, they stopped writing, answering messages, calling, etc. My sister even went so far as to call my mom and rub in that my youngest niece was heartbroken that she could not get ahold of her friend to say goodbye - the whole time, I had left many messages on their answering machine trying to say goodbye. The hurtful behavior had begun again, and I had had about enough. The anger grew, and even though I could have worded it differently, I wrote a harsh letter telling her that nothing had changed, and that I was a human being who deserved respect. Basically, I cut it off with her. She never responded.
A year went by without ANY contact what-so-ever with any of them. I wrote to my nieces, and I suspect that my e-mails were discarded by their hateful father. Finally, I wrote to my sister begging her to let me talk to her girls again, and she responded saying that I was a hateful, vicious human being, who made up lies about her, her husband, and her girls.
I was stunned, but I responded, and tried the best I could to defend myself. She told me that unless I gave her an apology, she would never let me speak to her daughters again. It was a difficult decision, but I told her that I would do no such thing and that I deserved an apology first, for being treated so harshly by her all my life. Again, she never responded.
Two months later, my nana’s stomach cancer had gone into remission, and she asked me if I would write to my sister to let her know what was going on (I know that she was secretly trying to get us back together). I obeyed, and was surprised when my very cheery sister responded to me as if nothing happened. Several exchanges later, she told me that my nieces were free to speak with me. Looking back, I realize that free meant “allowed, but unwilling.” My oldest niece began IMing me for a short period of time, but eventually, all messages ceased. My sister would go three months at a time without speaking with me, as well. Hurt began to build up again, and I decided to simply stop responding. Letter writing was not working, and so I thought I would do the opposite. I must admit that a part, if not all of me did that to get even for all of the pain she caused me. And so she wrote (very rarely, mind you), and I ignored.
Well, several months ago, we got the news that they are moving back to the States; about a day’s drive from where we live. My aunt even went so far as to create a big party for them, so that those who wanted to visit with them would be able to come to their home to visit. I was seething, because in the first place, my family (outside of my parents) does not give a flying fig about me, and thinks that I am imagining a majority of what has happening with my sister. I was invited, but declined the invitation, knowing that I would be talked about.
My mom then composed a kind letter to my sister just a few days ago, saying that my father did not want to have her husband in his home (which he had stated to her before, but my mom wanted to make sure that my sister did not think that my father had a change of heart). She said that she loved my sister, and did not want them to come into an unpleasant situation without reason. She also stated that my father, nor I, would come to the party.
My sister responded, yet again, with a mean letter, not admitting a word of guilt and blaming all on me and my father. She said that we lied and our anger was “unfounded.” She also said she was not surprised that my father and I would not show up for the party.
My mom received this yesterday. I cried; I think we all did. Then I got so angry, I felt as if I could hurt someone (her husband), which surprised me, as I am generally not a violent person.
Well, we are friends with a kind, compassionate Eastern Orthodox monk who was supposed to come to dinner the same day. And I’m glad he did. He said my feelings were valid, and that they will continue playing the game until I took control of it. I needed to hand them something “greasy.” And I did. I responded, instead of my mother, to my sister. I was kind. I told her that I was sorry that she misinterpreted my letters and that they caused her pain. I ended it (using a line given to me by the Eastern Orthodox monk) by saying, “You are absolutely correct when you say that reconciliation will happen when two parties are willing, and until we are both adults, all attempts at a relationship, if necessary, should come to a halt.”
So here I am, proud of the letter I sent, but frightened that I will receive just another painful letter. I pray for a miracle every day, but I feel hopeless and like things will never change. It seems like a crumpled piece of paper that will never be the same after it has been damaged.
I know my letters were not perfect. I know that I am not perfect. But I feel as though she owes me more than what she has given. She cannot even tell me what year I am in college…sometimes, not even my age.
I apologize for the length of this. Prayers are greatly appreciated, and advice if you have the time to sift through all of my blathering. My heart hurts so much. Please pray for a miracle, I do not know how much more of this I can take without breaking down. I want my nieces back.
Thank you so much for listening. You guys are always amazing with your responses, and they are so very appreciated and welcomed. Please feel free to tell me what I have done wrong, as I know I need to hear it.
May it be blessed,
Christa