Praying for Atheists

  • Thread starter Thread starter PolishK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PolishK

Guest
Hi all ~ I just had a run in with some very anti-religion atheists who attempted to belittle me and mock my faith, as well as any other faiths. At one point, a man even said it’s a fact that to be religious is to have a mental disorder.

This makes me very angry because it’s impossible to get through to these people. I’ve come to the idea that WE CANNOT GET THROUGH TO PEOPLE LIKE THIS. Rather, God has to.

I’m just asking for everyone to pray for atheists - whether they’re people in your life or just in general.

Thank you.
 
Dear PolishK,

I will include atheists in this evenings prayer intentions. I often pray for atheists, to me they are the poorest of the poor. Think of how rich our faith make us and now consider not having a relationship with God nor even knowing if he really does exists - it is a pretty deprived existence, huh? It sure is. I have plenty of compassion for atheists and I will pray to the Lord Our God this evening to soften their hearts and illuminate their thinking.

Peace,

Abba
 
I’m not entirely atheist, nor am I entirely Christian.
I was brought up in a Christian enviroment, and for some time as a child, went to the Church Of England with school, and after-school clubs. Though most of the time, I never understood it, or understood why I should be forgiven for sins, which as a child, I wasn’t sure I had done.

As an adult, I see that as well, I have sinned. I’ve done bad things, thought bad things, and said bad things, I see now why people pray for non-believers, but there’s a lot of ignorance in society when it comes to religion. It is something, that this modern time, seems to be eroding.
 
From what I’ve seen, atheists usually don’t know much about religion. Maybe they do well on the trivia tests where they do an “overview” of what each religion teaches, but it is different entirely to actually spend a significant amount of time studying a faith. Remember, college classes in religion will teach everyone these trivia things, but they do it in a way that makes all religions appear equally valid, so of course many university students say they don’t want religion at all, especially since liberal professors belittle religion. Also, it depends on how you look at things. An atheist looks at the Bible a little too literally, whereas Christians who know their faith have a better understanding of what the Bible is and what it’s for. Christians who study their faith understand that the Bible is many different forms of writing, not all are literal, some are written from the perspective of how things appear to us on earth (for example, soul sleep is talked about in this kind of language, and many of the newer Christian religions believe in soul sleep because of this bad interpretation).

Also, many young adults today were not raised in religious homes. Church attendance has been declining rapidly since the 70’s. There is a good chance they simply don’t know better. Their parents were not well educated in their faith, left the church, and then tell their kids false things about it so the kids grow up thinking religion is stupid and they don’t want to go to church either.

Those who were raised in religious homes also might not know their faith very well. Many of them know the basics, but details (like the ones in the quiz) will stump them. It is important that everyone know their faith so they can defend it.

I agree that we need to pray for atheists. They are lost. Many of them are too proud and too arrogant to see that God exists. They built their reputations on being an atheist, and so they will attack people for believing in God (“mental disorder”). Some atheists will not let theists into their graduate programs, they close their minds to another point of view (so much for “tolerance”). Many atheists have their heads stuck in the sand, and we need to pray that they will open their hearts to God. Remember, the “intellectual” reasons for atheism are only a smokescreen. There are many logical proofs for the existence of God that haven’t been refuted in hundreds of years, but they choose not to believe out of pride (note: you can still believe in God without being a Christian, Muslim, or Jew; that is called deism, but deism isn’t really taught in schools so they will look at you confused if you suggest they become a deist). We need to pray they will open their hearts to God and let themselves be saved. This is very dangerous because although some religious groups would probably go to purgatory for their false teachings, atheism is a deliberate and (today, often militant) rejection of God. Those who reject God go to hell (hell is the absence of God), so this is very serious and they need our prayers before it’s too late.
 
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.
 
From today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Prayers and Intercessions
Blessed be the Architect of our salvation. It is his will that mankind should be made a new creation in him, that the old order should pass away and that all things should be renewed. Sustained by this living hope, let us pray:
– Renew us, Lord, in your spirit.

Lord, you promised us a new heaven and a new earth: constantly renew us through your Spirit,
so that we may rejoice forever in your presence in the heavenly Jerusalem.
– Renew us, Lord, in your spirit.
 
Most people within my age group (I am 23) … has a “Live and let live” attitude. They believe that life is short, and they want to live as much as they can, while they’re still young. I get the impression that they don’t care what they do with their life, because right now it’s mostly getting drunk and partying is all they know.
 
Praying for those who mock our faith and who don’t believe in God …
 
Perhaps you could ask your atheist friends/acquaintances, in a friendly way, if they would pray just this one prayer-
Code:
      "Lord God, IF you are real, please reveal yourself to me."

We pray for atheists:

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.:gopray2::signofcross:
 
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of they womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.
 
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.
 
Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
 
I have been praying for atheists since realising how widespread they were on Internet forums. Some have an agenda and the internet is the tool they use to spread atheism.

The mockery and humiliation is a technique, we should try to avoid getting upset about it. But they’re succeeding in driving people away from their faith in many cases so that’s one of the reasons we need to pray, the other is that many of them are good people who share the same values without our belief. in God.
 
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death. Amen.
 
There are a very high number of vocal atheists constantly active on a very popular general discussion forum in the large City where I live… Lately a few of them have been particularly insulting towards anyone who is a Christian, who are very much in the minority compared to the atheist. group.
Please say a prayer because I get the impression they are gaining a massive following.

This is in England.by the way…

Thank you.
Rose.
 
Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen. † :signofcross:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top