Praying for others

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmscms
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cmscms

Guest
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately for me, almost 10 years ago, I had enough of my brother’s constant verbal abuse and decided to not associate with him. It is no fun to be in this situation, but I have always know in my heart it was the right thing to do. Over the years (actually ever since I can remember) he has been cruel to me and used me as his punching bad.

So, the details of what he did is not important, nor do I care to try and work things out because I will never change him and I accept that.

However, I do still carry the emotional scars fo what he has done. As I was praying tonight, a though occurred to me. Perhaps instead of my usual simple pray ‘God, please help me forgive my brother and heal from the wounds and do what is best for my brother’, I should say a novena for him.

In a way it is selfish because I am hoping I will heal my scars but nonetheless, I am willing to try my best to genuinly pray for his well being with a novena

So question 1-) what do people think about this idea

Question 2-) what would a good novena be?

CM
 
I think that is an excellent idea. I think that by sincerely praying for your brother you will do much towards healing yourself anyway.

Don’t know which novena though. I think the hardest part of your task will be trying to be sincere. It is easy to pray for someone who has hurt you by saying things like “God, please make them a better person” or “God, please make them nice”. this prayer is all well and good but contains an implicit hubris, and isn’t grounded in a pure christ-like love. The best prayers eliminate the judgement stuff, and say things like “God, please shower this person with every imaginable grace. Let them become close to you.” This prayer can only be said with a loving and forgiving heart. This kind of prayer can be hard to say sincerely for someone who has hurt you.

Well that is my advice, hopefully one day I can follow my own advice too!!!
 
I don’t wish to pry for your whole story, but it would be easier to recommend a novena if we knew a little more about the situation. For example, do you think it is possible your brother is suffering some sort of mental illness or chemical imbalance causing him to behave in such a ghastly manner? If so, I might recommend offering a Novena for St. Dymphna, the patron of Mental Illness. Just a thought. I commend you on your strength to pray for those who have hurt you. You are doing God’s work here. Be blessed. 🙂
 
For example, do you think it is possible your brother is suffering some sort of mental illness or chemical imbalance causing him to behave in such a ghastly manner?
Well my first answer to that question is of course, but that is the revenge in me 😛

But in all honesty, I don’t think it is anything physical, just his abuse he never dealt with properly spills on to his favourite victim ie me
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top