Praying for the mentally retarded?

• Thread starter Thread starter mattyp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattyp

This one’s been bugging me for awhile.

Emotionally, I feel so bad for those who are not “normal”, like the mentally retarded, those with autism, those born without limbs, etc…and because of this emotional sadness, I feel the need to ask God to make them “normal”.

On the other hand, God creates everyone for a reason, and I start thinking, “hey, these people are probably more beautiful in God’s eyes than I am (I’m a lousy sinner) and there must be a good reason God wants the way they are”.

So how do I (or should I?) pray for those who I have sympathy for?

I encourage you to read the story of Jesus’ healing of the man who was born blind (John 9:1-41). The people question why this man was born disabled: Was it because he or his parents sinned? Jesus replies:

“Neither he nor his parents sinned; it [his disability from birth] is so that the works of God might be made visible through him” (John 9:3).

Suggestions for prayer: That the person be granted the strength and grace he needs to persevere; that the will of God be done; that the world (including you) might see the work of God in this person’s life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back