Praying in Tongues- no debate please

• Thread starter Thread starter Mysty101
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Mysty101:
Have you ever heard of a Prayer tongue, which is different from a teaching tongue?

Catholic Charismatics pray and praise in a prayer tongue, which is not really any language.
:hmmm: Something I found very interesting is that when I saw the movie “The Passion of The Christ”, I found that the Aramaic Language sounded similar to my prayer tongue… Is my prayer tongue real then?:confused:
This whole topic of tongues is causing me to have some real second thoughts… I have never heard what you have stated in the above.
Please enlighten me.
God Bless,
Annunciata:)
p.s. this is not to debate you…

40.png
Mysty101:
Have you ever heard of a Prayer tongue, which is different from a teaching tongue?

Catholic Charismatics pray and praise in a prayer tongue, which is not really any language.
Hi Mysty, Personally I have never heard of a teaching tongue. Does the Holy Spirit speak to another person through the Gift of tongues and teach that person or reveals something through tongues?. Personally I would say yes, but who am I. Im not putting any limits in what the Holy Spirit can and cannot do, as long as it does not violate the Word of God. Just remember our God is not a God of confusion. Maybe its our understanding? God Bless. :confused:

Annunciata said:
:hmmm: Something I found very interesting is that when I saw the movie “The Passion of The Christ”, I found that the Aramaic Language sounded similar to my prayer tongue… Is my prayer tongue real then?:confused:
This whole topic of tongues is causing me to have some real second thoughts… I have never heard what you have stated in the above.
Please enlighten me.
God Bless,

Hi Ann, Dont let the enemy put the spirit of doubt in your mind.Yes,its very possible that your gift is in the language of Aramaic, but dont let yourself be concerned what language it is. Its understood very well by God for it is directed to Him. There are probably 1 million languages on this earth. Your tongue is angelic and dont believe anything different. God Bless. 👍

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
Hi Ann, Dont let the enemy put the spirit of doubt in your mind.Yes,its very possible that your gift is in the language of Aramaic, but dont let yourself be concerned what language it is. Its understood very well by God for it is directed to Him. There are probably 1 million languages on this earth. Your tongue is angelic and dont believe anything different. God Bless. 👍
Thanks for the caution. I never really payed much attention till all these threads on the subject. I know it’s real and I know the peace and the joy that comes w/ praising in tongues…
Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night praying in tongues…and sometimes I awake praying in Latin… “Sed libera nos a malo” (sp)…that I understand, “Deliver Us From Evil”.
What do you make of this?
God Bless, Annunciata:)

40.png
DaveBj:
I was raised Pentecostal, spent some time among the charismatics, practiced prayer in tongues, and never saw any benefit from it. So I no longer practice it.

My personal preference is to pray the Scriptures in the Office of the Hours. I get more spiritual benefit from that in five minutes than I used to get in any number of hours of praying in tongues. But that’s just me.

DaveBj
Hi DaveBj! 👋

We don’t have to actually see the benefits of our prayers in order for there to actually be a benefit.

In Christ,
Nancy 🙂

Annunciata said:
Please enlighten me.
God Bless,

I suppose “debate” could be qualified to “malicious , agressive or nasty debate”, which could never be you
smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_22.gif

Exactly what is it that you have never heard? Discussion is always a good thing.

I suppose a prayer tongue could be another language. I personally do not feel that prayers need interpretation.

But I think of a prayer tongue more like humming or singing in a foreign language. When you sing in Latin or any other language, are you aware of the exact translation of the song?

When you hum–does this have translatable meaning?-can it be put into understandable words?

40.png
Mysty101:
I suppose “debate” could be qualified to “malicious , agressive or nasty debate”, which could never be you

smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/17/17_1_22.gif
40.png
Mysty101:
Exactly what is it that you have never heard? Discussion is always a good thing.

I suppose a prayer tongue could be another language. I personally do not feel that prayers need interpretation.
Mysty101…
this is what I was referring to and I now have my answer thanks to our dear brother SW.🙂 I absolutely love it when praise in tongues reaches a crecendo (sp) …it’s like what I would imagine heaven would sound like… Thanks and God Bless, Annunciata:)

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
Hi Mysty, Personally I have never heard of a teaching tongue. Does the Holy Spirit speak to another person through the Gift of tongues and teach that person or reveals something through tongues?. Personally I would say yes, but who am I. Im not putting any limits in what the Holy Spirit can and cannot do, as long as it does not violate the Word of God. Just remember our God is not a God of confusion. Maybe its our understanding? God Bless. :confused:
Hi Word,

The teaching tongue is the one with no purpose, if there is no interpretation. I have never seen or heard it. Actually it is even different than the First Pentecost—no interpretation was necessary, since it was heard by everyone in the language they understood (the Holy Spirit was the interpretator)

I don’t understand the need for a teaching tongue today, but that is not my call. If a foreign languagee is spoken, and someone interprets, why couldn’t the Spirit just inspire someone to speak in their own language?

As I said, I have heard of a teaching tongue, but never directly wittnessed it.

40.png
Annunciata:
Thanks for the caution. I never really payed much attention till all these threads on the subject. I know it’s real and I know the peace and the joy that comes w/ praising in tongues…
Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night praying in tongues…and sometimes I awake praying in Latin… “Sed libera nos a malo” (sp)…that I understand, “Deliver Us From Evil”.
What do you make of this?
Praying in tongues is an UNKNOWN TONGUE,but not unkown to God… Lets not bring the spirit of confusion in. God Bless.

40.png
Mysty101:
Hi Word,

The teaching tongue is the one with no purpose, if there is no interpretation. I have never seen or heard it. Actually it is even different than the First Pentecost—no interpretation was necessary, since it was heard by everyone in the language they understood (the Holy Spirit was the interpretator)

I don’t understand the need for a teaching tongue today, but that is not my call. If a foreign languagee is spoken, and someone interprets, why couldn’t the Spirit just inspire someone to speak in their own language?

I was baptised in an Assemblies of God church and I can tell you that I have heard the teaching toungue you refer to many times. In my experience, it was usually in a worship setting where someone, usually the same person each time, would stand up and spontaneously deliver a message in toungues. Then, someone else would stand up, usually the same person everytime, and translate the message.

I learned very early on not to judge or question what was going on, as I have always believed it is not my place to make those judgements.

Do I believe in tongues? Yes, I believe that there are people who have that gift, but I am also concerned that some want the gift so bad that they force themselves to speak in tongues when they are really not gifted in that way.

Prayer language? Yes, definately, although I don’t refer to my Heavenly prayer language as tongues. I simply call it my Heavenly prayer language. It is a private conversation between me and the Man upstairs and usually comes when I am so deep into prayer or worship that the words no longer make sense. I allow my self to go so deep that my utterances become uncomprehendable. It is really quite beautiful to be in that state, knowing that God is listening and completely understands what is on my heart.

40.png
Mysty101:
Hi Word,

Mysty. I believe what your saying is that teaching tongue and a prophetic tongue are one in the same. Its a matter who does the interpretation whether it is manifested through us or through the Spirit. :confused:

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
Praying in tongues is an UNKNOWN TONGUE,but not unkown to God… Lets not bring the spirit of confusion in. God Bless.
Sorry…that was not my intention…it was only a question and an observation so please don’t read anymore into that than was intended. There certainly is enough “confusion” about this topic to go around many many times…truth sets people free and all I wanted was some imput. I won’t be posting on this thread any longer.
God Bless,
Annunciata:(

40.png
Annunciata:
Sorry…that was not my intention…it was only a question and an observation so please don’t read anymore into that than was intended. There certainly is enough “confusion” about this topic to go around many many times…truth sets people free and all I wanted was some imput. I won’t be posting on this thread any longer.
God Bless,
Annunciata:(
Sorry,Im not screaming at you,if only these computors had a heart and a soul. I am just trying to help you. :eek:

40.png
SPOKENWORD:
Sorry,Im not screaming at you,if only these computors had a heart and a soul. I am just trying to help you. :eek:
Yeh… I know you meant well…I was just overreacting.
I’m so sorry:confused: …must be that spirit of confusion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back