can a catholic go to church and only pray to Jesus Christ. Can he choose not to ask the saints or Mary to intercede for him but pray to Jesus directly or ask Jesus followers here on earth to pray for him. Also instead of going to confession and get forgiven by a priest, can he directly ask Jesus to forgive him. Can he choose not to join in a prayer to a saint or Mary at church. Does the catholic allow this?
To the first part of your question regarding our intercessory prayers my answer is no. When we are at mass we are to participate in mass. One of the prayers that is part of the mass is the Confeteor:
I confess to almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done,
and in what I have failed to do;
through my fault, through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;
therefore I ask blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the Angels and Saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.
The communion of saints is a big part of our Catholic beliefs. And as you can see asking for their intercession is part of our mass.
Also as far as the second part of your question regarding the confession of sins. It’s a false dichotomy. As catholics we must attend the sacrament of confession at least once a year if we are not in mortal sin AND as you see in the above confeteor prayer we confess that we have greatly sinned to God in our mass. Also we are encouraged to make a frequent private examination of conscience of our sins and pray an act of contrition privately on our own. I have always been encouraged even as a small child to make private acts of contrition after a nightly examination of conscience. Although at the time i became an adult I got out of this practice. Nowadays I’m trying to get back into this habit.
I frequently make a private confession of my sins twice a week to God privately in my home and pray an act of contrition AND I attend the sacrament of confession every 6 weeks. So as you see, as a Catholic, I read your question as a false dichotomy. I do both. I confess to God in private And I confess with my priest in the confessional.