Praying when in mortal sin

• Thread starter Thread starter James_2_24
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James_2_24

Does anyone else here find it extremely hard to pray when in mortal sin?

I know that this is probably the time we need to be praying really hard… BUT

I find it really hard to pray when in mortal sin simply because I feel like my prayers during that time are useless. After all I have fallen from grace (i am not in a state of grace). And although I cannot be the ultimate judge of my fate, I would bet the farm that if I died during that time I would be in some serious trouble.

So in short, what is the use of prayer during this time?

James_2:24:
Prayers of repentance and sorrow for having offended the God who loves us is of much value.

Aquinas explains:
". . .God hears the sinner’s prayer if it proceed from a good natural desire, not out of justice, because the sinner does not merit to be heard, but out of pure mercy. . .provided however he…beseech for himself things necessary for salvation, piously and perseveringly.
“There can be no godliness in the sinner’s prayer as though his prayer were quickened by a habit of virtue: and yet his prayer may be godly in so far as he asks for something pertaining to godliness. Even so a man who has not the habit of justice is able to will something just. . .And though his prayer is not meritorious, it can be impetrative, because merit depends on justice, whereas impetration rests on grace.”
The Grace of Christ makes perfect contrition more than possible. May we all pray for it!

:yup: You should always pray, especially to the Holy Spirit so He can prepare you to make a good confession and a perfect contrition. Prayer is a conversation with your Father so its safe to bet that He is moved when you pray especially when you feel like slime.

Of course it’s harder, satan is making sure it’s harder, he’s trying to tell you God hates you. Don’t believe him, remember Jesus died for you. He wants to hear from you especially when you’re in the state of sin. As you said “I know that this is probably the time we need to be praying really hard”, exactly right.
I find it really hard to pray when in mortal sin simply because I feel like my prayers during that time are useless.
That’s what satan wants you to think.
I would bet the farm that if I died during that time I would be in some serious trouble.
Thank God for purgatory. Only joking, but pray, pray and pray.
We all fall short, we are only human. The “use” of prayer at this time is that realization. We need the help of God. We can’t do it alone. Don’t try. Give into God, pray.

Well, What’s the point right?.. All prayers, especially that of petition recognize our dependance on God, therefore emphasize humility… God, being infinitely just and merciful exists outside of ‘time’… where we exist within time. So God, being omnipotent in eternity can recognize our pitiful requests especially that of a desire for confession and union with our Lord when we commit mortal sin. So He may grant us the most amazing graces to go to Confession and make our souls right with God in the future (like the next day, week, whatever)?? Make sense? I hope so, I’m no brain in these matters! 🙂

I find it really hard to pray when in mortal sin simply because I feel like my prayers during that time are useless. After all I have fallen from grace (i am not in a state of grace). And although I cannot be the ultimate judge of my fate, I would bet the farm that if I died during that time I would be in some serious trouble.
“For there is more rejoicing when one sinner repents than over a thousand righteous.” (I may not have got that exactly right)

If you are in mortal sin, PRAY, PRAY, PRAY all the way to confession. Your prayers are very useful and your desire to pray is God’s work in you toward full repentance. Don’t resist!

If you have the desire to confess but die before you have the ability to do so, the Church teaches that God is merciful and would not hold back the grace of forgiveness from you because you didn’t do something you were not able to do. (If you were able but just didn’t, well, that’s another story).

David W. Cooney o)

I cannot remmber where I heard this idea, I hope it is orthadox in teaching. But all prayers are heard by GOD. GOD is past, present, and future as far as time goes. Just like the ressurrection, the effects of redemption are timeless. GOD remembers our prayers, from the past, the present, and the future. This is why we can pray for those already deceased, or pray for others and future help. Once we receive the santifying grace with GOD, all of our past good works become righteous by GOD. We are truly forgiven. So your prayers do matter. Now, and forever. The only exception is praying for those who have died in mortal sin. But how are we to really know the sins of others?

When one has fallen into a deep hole, the more one must strive to extricate oneself from it. The deeper the hole, the more effort is required. Yet without efffort, how can you be freed from it? Besides, the greater effort required is part of the consequences of such a sin.

Grave sins thus might require **more, not less **prayer, and this includes the prayers accompanying true repentance in the sacrament of confession.

Gerry 🙂

Your prayers are NEVER useless. Read Luke 15:10-24. You will not be turned away. Grace is there…just obey & get to confession fast. That’s one reason it’s called the sacrament of reconciliation.

Ever prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet? GREAT prayer & devotion that carries tremendous graces (has for me anyway). Mortal sin isn’t the worst problem my friend…despair is…that will ruin ya. Don’t let it. I promiose you right now that I will offer a special DMC (my short term for the Divine Mercy Chaplet) for you right away. The Lord LOVES you & longs for you to come back to Him. “Be not afraid”, as our wonderful Polish Pope says all the time. Jesus can handle anything ya take to Him. Think what those words will sound like when the priest says “I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen” You’ll KNOW it’s better then. The expression of a spiritual reality.

GO FOR IT!

Love & Prayers,
Michael M.I.

Goodness, what a topic! A very good one I think.

May I present 2 things for consideration:
  1. God does hear all that goes on in this world. God hears all prayer. See Psalm 94
    **Pay heed, you senseless among the people; and when will you understand, stupid ones? He who planted the ear, does He not hear? He who formed the eye, does He not see?
**2. God does not “hear” the prayer of the ungodly, meaning that He does not hear it to the end that He is anxious to answer their prayer.
Proverbs 28:9 - He who turns away his ear from listening to the law, even his prayer is an abomination.
John 9:31 - We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing, and does His will, He hears him.
Isaiah 59:1,2 - **Behold, the Lord’s hand is not so short that it cannot save; Neither is His ear so dull that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He does not hear.

**So, rather than disagreeing with what most of what others have said (since I’m Reformed), I would agree. If your heart is in rebellion, your prayer is wicked to God, for you will ask amiss. But if you happen to be “in mortal sin” and have a desire to pray for deliverance from it (as opposed to satisfaction in it and God passing over it and not chastising you for it) then that is, as Augustine would say, proof of grace in your soul. He said that in “Nature and Grace” I believe. So yes, pray pray pray, but just as urgently, run flee abstain from wickedness. And then confess to your Confessor the length at which you fell into sin in the particular temptation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back