Praying with or studying the Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzoff1031
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump…sort of. If I follow the plan offered here, would I be able to practice Lectio Divina using something that jumps out at me from that day’s readings?
Hey buzzoff - my apologies for not addressing this earlier. I was initially instructed in the practice of Lectio Divina by Benedictine monks. I got the sense that any access to Scripture can be used, including the prescribed daily Mass readings. I know of some monks who simply randomly open the Bible and start doing Lectio Divina. Others go in accordance with a particular order, such as what you are suggesting.

This was also the approach mentioned in the article linked in Post #3 by velvetsky, and I will go ahead and cut & paste that particular material:

“Choose a text of the Scriptures that you wish to pray. Many Christians use in their daily lectio divina one of the readings from the eucharistic liturgy for the day (find the readings here); others prefer to slowly work through a particular book of the Bible. It makes no difference which text is chosen, as long as one has no set goal of ‘covering’ a certain amount of text. The amount of text covered is in God’s hands, not yours.”

(source: beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/Catholic/2000/08/How-To-Practice-Lectio-Divina.aspx )

Once someone decides on where to start reading (whether it be random or planned in advance), that’s when the guidelines for Lectio Divina start coming into play.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top