… many people would receive communion outside of Mass in the Pre-Vatican II days. How was this done? Were there communion services outside of Mass? Was there a liturgy for these services? Would people just go and ask the priest for Holy Communion?
I’m not an expert on this, but from what I’ve read and heard, the Rite of Communion for the congregation in the pre-Vatican II Roman Missal (but
before 1962) was essentially the Rite of Communion Outside Mass inserted
into the Mass, which is why it ha
d (no longer in the 1962 Missal) “another”
Confiteor (which the priest and server – and congregation had already prayed at the beginning of Mass), and ha
s (still in the 1962) “another”
Domine, non sum dignus (which the priest prays privately before his own Communion), among other duplicated elements.
The pre-Vatican II Rite of Communion Outside Mass can be found in the “Roman Ritual”,
here.
As EF Masses become more and more common in the SP era, are we going to see the accompanying Communion Service?
I would not expect that.
Furthermore, I’ve also read that distribution of Communion wasn’t an official part of the EF. Does the same apply in the 1962 Missal?
I think that’s talking about older editions of the pre-Vatican II Missal. By 1962 (and maybe a few years earlier), the additional
Confiteor was removed from the Communion Rite, although the people do still say their own
Domine, non sum dignus… apart from the priest.
In the Ordinary Form, some of the “duplications” eliminated were the merging of prayers said by the priest and then said again by the congregation. For instance, in the EF, there are two
Confiteors at the beginning of Mass (one by the priest, one by the server/people). In the OF, because both priest and people are participating in a
single act of penitence, they say the
Confiteor (or whatever penitential act is used) together.