Precious Blood

• Thread starter Thread starter midlandbob
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

midlandbob

Our priest recently started filling all the wine goblets ahead of Mass and putting them in a tray on the altar corporal just before the consecration. He then takes wine and water from the cruets and puts them in his chalice. During the Eucharistic prayer the wine from his chalice and those in the goblets are consecrated. He just started doing this as opposed to having the flagon with wine on the altar and pouring the blood into the goblets prior to the distribution of communion.
Does the GIRM address how the precious blood should be handled? I like the consecrating of the wine in the flagon as opposed to putting it in the goblets ahead of time.

I would appreciate any comments that others might have.

Thanks and God bless.

Our priest recently started filling all the wine goblets ahead of Mass and putting them in a tray on the altar corporal just before the consecration. He then takes wine and water from the cruets and puts them in his chalice. During the Eucharistic prayer the wine from his chalice and those in the goblets are consecrated. He just started doing this as opposed to having the flagon with wine on the altar and pouring the blood into the goblets prior to the distribution of communion.
Does the GIRM address how the precious blood should be handled?
I don’t know about the GIRM, but *Redemptionis Sacramentum *apparently addresses this situation.

From this article:
Document lists 28 grave abuses against Eucharist
catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/graves.htm

“The pouring of the blood of Christ after the consecration from one vessel to another is completely to be avoided, lest anything should happen that would be to the detriment of so great a mystery. Never to be used for containing the blood of the Lord are flagons, bowls or other vessels.” This instruction prohibits the widespread U.S. practice of placing one or more pitchers of wine on the altar before the consecration when Communion is to be distributed under both kinds, and then pouring that wine into chalices before Communion. A related instruction says there is no problem with placing multiple chalices filled with wine on the altar before the consecration, but for the sake of “sign value” the main chalice should be larger than the others.

40.png
stumbler:
I don’t know about the GIRM, but *Redemptionis Sacramentum *apparently addresses this situation.
Yeah, I just found it in para 106 of Redemptionis Sacramentum on the catholic.com site:
catholic.com/library/redemptionis_sacramentum.asp

[106.] “However, the pouring of the Blood of Christ after the consecration from one vessel to another is completely to be avoided, lest anything should happen that would be to the detriment of so great a mystery. . .”

Apparently the priest is trying to conform.

There are theological reasons for certain rubrics, and practical reasons for certain others.

From a practical standpoint, transferring the Sacred Blood from a flagon increases the liklihood of spilling a drop in the process.

It’s no different than having several plates of unconsecrated hosts, to be consecrated simultaneously at the appropriate point in time.

40.png
midlandbob:
Does the GIRM address how the precious blood should be handled? I like the consecrating of the wine in the flagon as opposed to putting it in the goblets ahead of time.

I would appreciate any comments that others might have.

Thanks and God bless.
Thank the good Lord for your pastor!

At my parish we have super EMHCs called “captains” who distribute the Body and Blood of Christ between different vessels in direct conflict with the GIRM.

Your priest does seem to be doing the best thing. :clapping:
  • Kathie :bowdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back