Predestination/Free Will in the Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter PaperCrane
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PaperCrane

Guest
So, procrastinating here, but I need to know exactly what the Catholic Church’s teaching on predestination/free will is, and I need Bible verses that support it. Yes, I know the Bible is not the be all/end all of all teachings, but I’m in a Bible study with two Baptists, a non-denominational, and a going-to-be Baptist. I’m not ready to get into THAT discussion just yet! I left my Catechism in my home state (it is in the mail, though, at least!), and the internet has been surprisingly unhelpful. Our studies are Sunday evenings, so I’m hopin’ for some help pretty quickly!

Thanks in advance, and God bless!
 
So, procrastinating here, but I need to know exactly what the Catholic Church’s teaching on predestination/free will is, and I need Bible verses that support it. Yes, I know the Bible is not the be all/end all of all teachings, but I’m in a Bible study with two Baptists, a non-denominational, and a going-to-be Baptist. I’m not ready to get into THAT discussion just yet! I left my Catechism in my home state (it is in the mail, though, at least!), and the internet has been surprisingly unhelpful. Our studies are Sunday evenings, so I’m hopin’ for some help pretty quickly!

Thanks in advance, and God bless!
Hi there.

This Ask an Apologist question might be just the thing for you, complete with Scriptural and extra-Scriptural information, including many links on the Church’s doctrine.
*(What? The opinions and practices of the early Christians didn't count for something? They should, for they didn't have a "Bible" at all, yet still they practiced for hundreds of years, and then many more until the printing press many mass reading possible.)* :rolleyes:
 
Ironically, after I posted this, I did see another thread on the same subject. Alas, I could not delete my own post. Thank you for the other link, too!

As to your rant, did I say anything about the early Christians’ opinions and practices not counting for anything? No.
 
Ironically, after I posted this, I did see another thread on the same subject. Alas, I could not delete my own post. Thank you for the other link, too!

As to your rant, did I say anything about the early Christians’ opinions and practices not counting for anything? No.
I don’t think Spencerian was ranting about you, but about your “interlocutors’” insistence on Scripture-alone. 🙂
 
Ironically, after I posted this, I did see another thread on the same subject. Alas, I could not delete my own post. Thank you for the other link, too!

As to your rant, did I say anything about the early Christians’ opinions and practices not counting for anything? No.
Forgive me, but yes, I was making a mock counter-argument to imaginary objectors, not to you. Sorry for the confusion!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top