N
nickybr38
Guest
I feel like such a search function loser. I really can’t find anything using the search bar…
Anyway. How do premonitions fit in to my new found Catholic faith?
I’m sure, if any of you have seen my previous posts, that you’ve figured out that my Protestant background was full of all kinds of ‘spirituality’. From believing that demons are very active in the world to even being active in objects. All of this background has left me in a position where I don’t know how to react to certain things that were considered Christian and comfortable in my old faith.
Let’s talk about premonitions now. As a Catholic what do you think of this phenomenon?
As a Protestant I ran into many who would get ‘a feeling’ and they’d gladly share that ‘feeling’ with others to warn or guide them. I find myself often being guided by these premonitions in my own life.
For example, if I am driving on a certain road and feel a VERY strong urge to turn and drive a different route… I WILL. I just obey those little nudgings inside. I’ve always seen it as God guiding me… but is it?
Another example would be more vague. For example, I was praying for a family member that I was quite concerned about and woke up KNOWING that a DIFFERENT family member, not the one I was praying for, was going to be okay. Sure enough he found a job, found a place of his own and got married all within years of this ‘feeling’ I got… and they were all things he’d been desperately desiring. This ‘knowledge’ was accompanied by peace. It was just a knowing. It’s hard to describe but I call it a ‘premonition’… I’m not sure what purpose it served, except to comfort me because although I wasn’t praying for him I was deeply burdened with worry for him.
My family believes in these kind of things. But I’m wondering as a Catholic should I put any stock in these occurrences anymore?
Right now I have a very strong feeling that one of my family members is going to get married soon (she doesn’t have a boyfriend, and NO I haven’t told her). Before I converted I would have shared this with the family but now I hesitate to. I’m not seeking these things out, nobody is, but we definitely believe they’re from God and that their purpose is to guide and comfort us… but is this a Catholic way to think?
What can I say? My family + my faith background has left me a bit confused.
I’m not even sure if I’m using the word premonition right but I’m just not sure what else to call it because it isn’t REALLY a ‘feeling’ even… it’s just a knowing.
Hard to describe and I’m sure I failed but if anyone can make sense of my post what do you think of all this?
Anyway. How do premonitions fit in to my new found Catholic faith?
I’m sure, if any of you have seen my previous posts, that you’ve figured out that my Protestant background was full of all kinds of ‘spirituality’. From believing that demons are very active in the world to even being active in objects. All of this background has left me in a position where I don’t know how to react to certain things that were considered Christian and comfortable in my old faith.
Let’s talk about premonitions now. As a Catholic what do you think of this phenomenon?
As a Protestant I ran into many who would get ‘a feeling’ and they’d gladly share that ‘feeling’ with others to warn or guide them. I find myself often being guided by these premonitions in my own life.
For example, if I am driving on a certain road and feel a VERY strong urge to turn and drive a different route… I WILL. I just obey those little nudgings inside. I’ve always seen it as God guiding me… but is it?
Another example would be more vague. For example, I was praying for a family member that I was quite concerned about and woke up KNOWING that a DIFFERENT family member, not the one I was praying for, was going to be okay. Sure enough he found a job, found a place of his own and got married all within years of this ‘feeling’ I got… and they were all things he’d been desperately desiring. This ‘knowledge’ was accompanied by peace. It was just a knowing. It’s hard to describe but I call it a ‘premonition’… I’m not sure what purpose it served, except to comfort me because although I wasn’t praying for him I was deeply burdened with worry for him.
My family believes in these kind of things. But I’m wondering as a Catholic should I put any stock in these occurrences anymore?
Right now I have a very strong feeling that one of my family members is going to get married soon (she doesn’t have a boyfriend, and NO I haven’t told her). Before I converted I would have shared this with the family but now I hesitate to. I’m not seeking these things out, nobody is, but we definitely believe they’re from God and that their purpose is to guide and comfort us… but is this a Catholic way to think?
What can I say? My family + my faith background has left me a bit confused.