I dispute that Mary was sinless from conception to the birth of Jesus. The Bible only says she remained a virgin until (not through, not after) the birth. But, if you accept that she put aside her sin nature for nine months, why not her whole life?
A better translation of Luke 1:28 is “highly favored”, not “full of grace”. If full of grace really meant sinless, then there’s a lot of sinless people running around, such as Stephen in Acts 6:8, who is said to have been full of grace (and, that’s correctly translated, unlike Luke 1:28).
I was just reading about this yesterday… So, I’ll quote what was written. I’m certainly no expert in the translation of original writings into the English we understand and read today…
… Joseph had no relations with her until she bore a son, and he named him Jesus. (Mt. 1:25)
The birth of Jesus is told in nine words: “She bore a son, and he named him Jesus.”
The literal English translation of today’s passage is sometimes confusing:… UNTIL…
In English, when people say something didn’t happen “until” such-and-such, it is usually implied that is DID happen afterward. The Greek construction, however, doesn’t necessarily carry that implication. From the NAB (The Greek word translated “until” does not imply normal marital conduct after Jesus’ birth, nor does it exclude it. )
It’s an odd question to me: WHY was Mary sinless her whole life?
Why couldn’t/wouldn’t she be?
I often feel, and this personal opinion, that we do things that are sinful because God isn’t visibly right in our face stopping us. If you think about it. Did you do the things your real life parents told you NOT to right in front of them?.. And when you did do things your parents told you not to do, it wasn’t necessarily to spite them, but because you wanted to try to something, or you weren’t thinking, and it doesn’t seem so wrong without mom’s watchful eye…
Well, I’m thinking… If I managed to get pregnant without the aid of a man… I would KNOW that to the core of my being. No matter how many people argued it until the end of time. If I saw an angel who asked me if this was ok, and then… BAM, I’m PG… I have NO DOUBT in my mind there is a God. THEN, I birth this little boy. We go through hell and back… I watch him perform mircles and such… I listen to the words he speaks… Now, UNLESS, I’m certifiably insane… WHY ON EARTH would I even think to sin? Doesn’t it stand to reason that she had so much more on her plate than to come up with sinful things to do? Doesn’t it stand to reason that she of all people truly understands her eternal destiny. I can’t even imagine a sin that she would do? I just envision her above it all quite frankly.