Y
yellow8yellowM
Guest
In order for a person to be canonized, miracles must be attributed to him, meaning somebody must have been praying for his intercession. But if that person was not yet canonized, would those prayers have been presumptuous? I’m not trying to be legalistic here, but at what point are we “allowed” to ask the deceased to pray for us?
I would like to ask my grandfather for his prayers, but he will never be canonized. I have great confidence that he is in purgatory or heaven. Should I say, “Grandfather, if you are in heaven, please pray for me?” for the rest of my life, or should I just go ahead and pray just like those people prayed to Saint John Paul II before he was canonized?
I ask all of this in light of the trend in “canonizing” the deceased at each funeral.
I would like to ask my grandfather for his prayers, but he will never be canonized. I have great confidence that he is in purgatory or heaven. Should I say, “Grandfather, if you are in heaven, please pray for me?” for the rest of my life, or should I just go ahead and pray just like those people prayed to Saint John Paul II before he was canonized?
I ask all of this in light of the trend in “canonizing” the deceased at each funeral.