Priest & A Ticket for Mass

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — It’s not often a priest gets a ticket for saying Mass, but one Colorado Springs priest was threatened with one.

“I was right in the middle of Mass, at the Liturgy of the Word, and the cop is saying ‘if you continue on with this you’ll get a ticket.’ I didn’t know what to do,” said Father Bill Carmody, pastor of Holy Family Catholic Church in Security, a Colorado Springs suburb. "I didn’t want to stop Mass, but I also didn’t want to break the law.

The problem: Father Carmody was offering Mass outside a Planned Parenthood facility Nov. 13, as he has every Saturday for 10 years, when he was threatened with a ticket

The law in question was a prohibition of open containers of alcohol in public. Father Carmody had his altar wine there, ready to be consecrated. The officer let him finish, but warned him not to say Mass there again.

That incident sparked a mostly pro-life city council to look for ways to allow Father Carmody to continue celebrating Mass outside the abortion business without having to scrap an ordinance intended to ensure order and peace.

“We may in fact have to adjust our ordinance to exempt sacramental wine,” Mayor Lionel Rivera, a pro-life Republican and Catholic, told the Register. “We have the city attorney investigating our options, but I’m pretty sure that under state and federal law Father Carmody has some right to serve Communion in public. And, it may turn out that our ordinance is a violation of state and federal laws that protect the free practice of religion.”

Mayor Rivera said the City Council is so vocally pro-life that the city-owned Memorial Hospital voluntarily stopped offering elective abortions after the last election.

As the city attorney examines options, Father Carmody is abiding by the ordinance and offering adoration of the Blessed Sacrament across the street from the abortion site instead of Mass.

ncregister.com/current/0109lead2.htm

40.png
HagiaSophia:
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — It’s not often a priest gets a ticket for saying Mass, but one Colorado Springs priest was threatened with one.

“I was right in the middle of Mass, at the Liturgy of the Word, and the cop is saying ‘if you continue on with this you’ll get a ticket.’ I didn’t know what to do,” said Father Bill Carmody, pastor of Holy Family Catholic Church in Security, a Colorado Springs suburb. "I didn’t want to stop Mass, but I also didn’t want to break the law.

The problem: Father Carmody was offering Mass outside a Planned Parenthood facility Nov. 13, as he has every Saturday for 10 years, when he was threatened with a ticket

The law in question was a prohibition of open containers of alcohol in public. Father Carmody had his altar wine there, ready to be consecrated. The officer let him finish, but warned him not to say Mass there again.

That incident sparked a mostly pro-life city council to look for ways to allow Father Carmody to continue celebrating Mass outside the abortion business without having to scrap an ordinance intended to ensure order and peace.

“We may in fact have to adjust our ordinance to exempt sacramental wine,” Mayor Lionel Rivera, a pro-life Republican and Catholic, told the Register. “We have the city attorney investigating our options, but I’m pretty sure that under state and federal law Father Carmody has some right to serve Communion in public. And, it may turn out that our ordinance is a violation of state and federal laws that protect the free practice of religion.”

Mayor Rivera said the City Council is so vocally pro-life that the city-owned Memorial Hospital voluntarily stopped offering elective abortions after the last election.

As the city attorney examines options, Father Carmody is abiding by the ordinance and offering adoration of the Blessed Sacrament across the street from the abortion site instead of Mass.

ncregister.com/current/0109lead2.htm
From one as myself who lived in Colorado up to not so long ago, I thought Colorado Springs and the WHOLE State was MOSTLY conservative ??? Of course Denver more so. What has the great NEW Bishop of Colorado Springs said?? What about the great Archbishop Charles Chaput, O.F.M, CAP? HE by the way is my FAVORITE Bishop in all the USA!!!

40.png
misericordie:
From one as myself who lived in Colorado up to not so long ago, I thought Colorado Springs and the WHOLE State was MOSTLY conservative ??? Of course Denver more so. What has the great NEW Bishop of Colorado Springs said?? What about the great Archbishop Charles Chaput, O.F.M, CAP? HE by the way is my FAVORITE Bishop in all the USA!!!
Actually, it’s Denver less so. I lived in NW Denver from 1998-2002. As far as metro areas, the “People’s Republic of Boulder” is the most liberal, Denver is liberal-to-moderate (depends on the area NW=liberal, S=conservative, etc.) and Colorado Springs is conservative (home to Focus on the Family). The rest of the state is conservative for the most part, but it has been making a left turn in the last few years. Look at one of those red/blue county maps, and you’ll be surprised at the amount of blue…

The arrest sounds to me like the Planned Parenthood folks realized the loophole and made use of it. That’s why the mayor made a comment about the law being changed.

BTW…Chaput is my favorite, as well. A very holy Capuchin! Although his Archdiocese does not include the Springs, I believe the Bishop there is also conservative.

God Bless,

Robert.

There is another thread on this in the archives. Some more good comments.

Deacon Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back