Priest does not wear clerical garb

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lazerlike42
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lazerlike42

Guest
I interact with a priest from the archdiocese of Boston whom does not wear his clerical garb, or at least not nearly enough. He has, on several occasions, met with myself and others for pastoral purposes and dressed in (nice) casual attire. My understanding is that he does wear his clericals at other times, but it concerns me that he does not wear them while performing pastoral functions.

I am capable of explaining why he ought not to do this from the standpoint of theology and spirituality, but I would like some assistance in locating canonical reasons. I am aware of Canon 284:
“Clerics are to wear suitable ecclesiastical garb according to the norms issued by the conference of bishops and according to legitimate local customs.”
and the USCCB complimentary norm for the canon from 1999:
"The National Conference of Catholic Bishops, in accord with the prescriptions of canon 284, hereby decrees that without prejudice to the provisions of canon 288, clerics are to dress in conformity with their sacred calling.
In liturgical rites, clerics shall wear the vesture prescribed in the proper liturgicad books. Outside liturgical functions, a black suit and Roman collar are the usual attire for priests. The use of the cassock is at the discretion of the cleric.
In the case of religious clerics, the determinations of their proper institutes or societies are to be observed with regard to wearing the religious habit."
Is anyone aware of anything more clear or straightforward than this?
 
I would like to know myself. I went to a priest for confession about a month ago, and he was wearing just regular street clothes – no purple stole or anything remotely clerical. I was wondering if the priest has to wear the garb for the sacrament to be valid?
 
I would like to know myself. I went to a priest for confession about a month ago, and he was wearing just regular street clothes – no purple stole or anything remotely clerical. I was wondering if the priest has to wear the garb for the sacrament to be valid?
No, but I believe he is mustto wear the stole for it to be licit (on his part, not yours).

Now I work at a rectory, so I understand that the priests may sometimes where street clothes at certain times, such as at night for instance, and on occasion they may unexpectedly need to help someone who stops by at an odd hour or when another priest is unexpectedly not present. This is not what I am speaking of, of course! 🙂
 
No, but I believe he is mustto wear the stole for it to be licit (on his part, not yours).

Now I work at a rectory, so I understand that the priests may sometimes where street clothes at certain times, such as at night for instance, and on occasion they may unexpectedly need to help someone who stops by at an odd hour or when another priest is unexpectedly not present. This is not what I am speaking of, of course! 🙂
Thank you !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top