F
Faith1960
Guest
I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a bad experience in confession, where the priest scolded them or said something to make them regret seeing that particular priest to hear their confession?
Nope, all good here.I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a bad experience in confession, where the priest scolded them or said something to make them regret seeing that particular priest to hear their confession?
I’m 50 years old and am still afraid of being yelled at. I’ve never had a bad experience with confession but I do know of someone who has. I plan to go sometime between now and Easter and I’m becoming anxious thinking about it.I had a very bad experience when I was 10 years old. I just remember running home crying because the priest yelled at me and then yelled at me because I was crying. I used to go to confession every week before that incident but I do remember everyone said avoid the pastor, but that day the usher (they had ushers for confessions back then) made me go there because he had no line… I found out why.
That was over 40 years ago but left a very bad taste for confessions for me. I have never come across a priest who was as bad as this one was. I do have a regular confessor for the past 13 years who is the best. When I can’t go to him I have found some other great confessors. Some I have liked better than others but no one has ever yelled at me since that one time.
No one deserves to be yelled at in confession. We go in there to experience God’s love and mercy, not his wrath. Look in the Gospels of how Jesus treated sinners, with compassion and great care.Bad experience in confession is quite rare. I had a few times, but I immediately started to work on that, that I deserve the bad treat, and this is God’s way to show me, how unworthy I am.
In the reality priests are men like us, and they had bad days like us. We honor the priest not for his human qualities, but for the power he received through the ordination, and possess through his jurisdiction.
yes but in retrospect I realized the priest was absolutely right and I needed to hear what he had to say. Humility is a requirement to approach all the sacraments in the right attitude. I carried some anger and resentment for a time, but as I came to see the truth of what he said I have thanked him for it many times. He saved me from years of persisting in the same sorry state. No it was not being “yelled at” or “scolded” although those were words I used, it was being firmly corrected without any of that pastoral I’mokay your okay garbage.I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a bad experience in confession, where the priest scolded them or said something to make them regret seeing that particular priest to hear their confession?
Maybe what you deride as “pastoral I’m OK you’re OK garbage” isn’t really garbage. Maybe it is. Whether it is garbage or not, I suspect it is ayes but in retrospect I realized the priest was absolutely right and I needed to hear what he had to say. Humility is a requirement to approach all the sacraments in the right attitude. I carried some anger and resentment for a time, but as I came to see the truth of what he said I have thanked him for it many times. He saved me from years of persisting in the same sorry state. No it was not being “yelled at” or “scolded” although those were words I used, it was being firmly corrected without any of that pastoral I’mokay your okay garbage.
where on earth do you get the historical picture of the confessional as torture chamber? have you a reliable source fo rtha tclaimMaybe what you deride as “pastoral I’m OK you’re OK garbage” isn’t really garbage. Maybe it is. Whether it is garbage or not, I suspect it is a(over)reaction to centuries of some (notice I’m not blaming all priests) priests turning the confessional into a practical torture chamber.
I would also add, and I’m not directing this towards you personally, that I’m puzzled by the amount of excuses made here for conduct of priests, that’s, well, pretty much inexcusable. It seems to me that there are too many priests who have forgotten the various scriptural mandates about how they are too exercise their leadership (in particular, I’m thinking of 1 Peter 1:3).
Read some of the sorts of confessional questions some priests would ask in the late medieval era. But that wasn’t really my point. I was referring to the abuses of SOME priests, which, I thought my post made clear.where on earth do you get the historical picture of the confessional as torture chamber? have you a reliable source fo rtha tclaim
Yes there are priests who have violated their vows and their position to harm innocent people, in the confessional and elsewhere, but as there are strong rules and penalties for their actions we know the church does not condone this.
OP used the word “scolded” not “tortured”.
Being told that a continuing state of sin is “okay” as so many of us married women were in my day when we started using ABC is a real scandal and abuse of confession and it is that type of advice that urges the sinner to go by their own conscience to reject Church teaching and God’s law under the label of “being pastoral” that I condemn as an abuse of the sacrament, a direct mortal sin because it encourages other to continue in sin, and a crime against the priesthood.
Possibly. But the fact remains, the priest should not be harsh. Think back to the Gospel where Jesus spoke to the woman taken in adultery. Did He speak harshly to her?It is impossible for me to regret seeing a ‘particular priest’ in confession. Catholicism has taught me one thing strongly: to have a spirit of mortification. Being insulted, offended, made to feel sad, etc., are part of penance. We’re not in this world to be comforted all the time, but to be challenged. If a priest is harsh, think of yourself as deserving harsh words, instead of father being mean-spirited. Charity is everything.![]()