Priesthood and homosexuals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Needanswers
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not but it’s a repulsive trait in any man…
What is effeminate behavior and what is masculine behavior are no more than social ideas and personal prejudices.

Some people consider musical ability in a man to be effeminate, if not gay, but J. S. Bach had 20 children. And don’t even ask about Wagner or Lizst and their romantic proclivities.

Some people think that tenderness and empathy are effeminate, yet Jesus amply demonstrated these traits.
 
“Just your theory” is a rewrite of history. One major reason for the decline in priestly vocations during the '90’s was that so many seminaries had between 60 and 75% gay candidates in them – many of whom were overtly acting out their sexual orientation, “celebrating” it, and advocating for it. Weird to be a minority in what should be and should have been a majority (i.e., celibate/chaste) environment. It is very demoralizing to straight, celibate priests to live in such an environment. They want brothers they can relate to and whom they also see as postive role models to emulate. Not to mention the existence of justice and equality.

Were I male and considering entering now, I would want to make sure that the above situation was not continuing, before I made such a step.
Got a source? This is a pretty hefty allegation.

Peace,
Dante
 
Re Post 22:

I’d have to search the docs, and there were a number. There were, for example, a number of surveys done inside seminaries in the late '90’s to early '2000’s regarding the proclivities among seminarians, particularly those who had recently joined. We’re talking orientations here. Remember I said that a “number” of them (not 90-100% of the 60-75% figure) were acting out, not that 60-75% of all seminarians were. However, of those that were not – and I can tell you because so many of my close friends and classmates were seminarians – among those I knew they were very “out” about representing themselves as Having a Gay Identity, and about being activists in various gay causes, including marching in Gay Pride parades, etc.

But the 60-75% figure was a national U.S. figure, not particular to my region, my circle-of-associates, etc. But in my region I had a number of close straight male friends who specifically said they did not want to answer their internal call precisely because they didn’t want to enter houses where The Gay Culture was paramount. I had read similar reports elsewhere.

The problem of being non-chaste is certainly not limited to one orientation or another, obviously. And the situation of some straight priests acting out while other straight priests in the same house are remaining chaste has always in times past & present been a sore point between/among priests and has affected morale, naturally. It’s just that one rarely finds a straight priest who enters the seminary with the express primary or secondary purpose to “celebrate his heterosexual identity” by being an advocate for heterosexuality and maybe (wink,wink) do a little on the side.

I strongly agree with post 21. Effeminate does not equal gay, in orientation or in practice.
 
What is effeminate behavior and what is masculine behavior are no more than social ideas and personal prejudices.

Some people consider musical ability in a man to be effeminate, if not gay, but J. S. Bach had 20 children. And don’t even ask about Wagner or Lizst and their romantic proclivities.

Some people think that tenderness and empathy are effeminate, yet Jesus amply demonstrated these traits.
No. I’m not talking about “tenderness and empathy.” I am talking about acquired affections that are disgusting.

I have met more than one priest (a far higher percentage than the world I live in) who acted VERY effeminate in stereotypical homosexual manners and it’s a huge turn-off. A horrid turn-off. For examples take at look at the characters “Stanford Blatch” and “Anthony Marentino” on Sex and the City.
 
Those of us who do formation work are required to help sort out between deep seated homosexual tendencies and same-sex attraction. They are not the same thing.

I use this simple method, but it actually works. Our bodies do not know that our souls and minds are Catholic. Our libido may respond to members of either sex. This is an attraction. If it responds to your own sex, it’s a homosexual attraction and it it responds to the opposite sex, it’s heterosexual attraction.

A deep seated homosexual tendency is a little deeper, a lot deeper actually. The person identifies himself or herself in terms of their sexual attraction and organizes his mental constructs around them. Therefore, the person has difficulty establishing healthy relationships with both genders, but it alwasy drawn to be more attentive and intimate with one gender over the other. Even when the person is not actively havin sex, this difficulty establishing meaningful and respectful relationships with both genders makes him or her an unqualified candidate for the priesthood or religious life.

Though the Church has not written a formal declaration on the subject, we follow the same rule for the admission of heterosexuals to holy orders or to religious life. There are some heterosexual people who do lack a healthy affect. The best example that I can offer is the super macho. This is the man who has difficulties relating to women as equal partners in society and in the faith. Such a person may even tend to be homophobic. This person must also be disqualified from religious life or holy orders.

In essence, what we’re looking at when we study a candidate is for a well balanced personality capable of having meaningful relationships with both genders and capable of exercising discipline over his/her sexual responses to triggers. You cannot do away with the sexual triggers. That’s a given. But you must have the internal discipline to respond to them without a struggle. If these triggers create a struggle for the person, then the feelings can safely be deemed to be deep seated. In charity, we do not want to place anyone in a situation of greater struggle than what he already deals with in daily life.

I hope this helps.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
 
No. I’m not talking about “tenderness and empathy.” I am talking about acquired affections that are disgusting.

I have met more than one priest (a far higher percentage than the world I live in) who acted VERY effeminate in stereotypical homosexual manners and it’s a huge turn-off. A horrid turn-off. For examples take at look at the characters “Stanford Blatch” and “Anthony Marentino” on Sex and the City.
I have better things to do that look at vulgar TV shows.

But obviously SATC has an agenda, typical of most popular entertainments. And that agenda is NOT positive towards anybody’s church.

Actually the “stereoptyical homosexual manners” are nothing more than an act (called “camping,” btw). A woman can do them and clearly NOT be acting like a woman (that is, effeminate), but a stereotyical gay man.

And you know what they say about stereotypes.

And what do you mean by “acquired affections”? Most homosexuals (of either gender) I know NEVER had romantic, erotic, or similar feelings for anyone of the opposite sex.
 
And what do you mean by “acquired affections”? Most homosexuals (of either gender) I know NEVER had romantic, erotic, or similar feelings for anyone of the opposite sex.
I think he meant ‘affectations’.
 
A deep seated homosexual tendency is a little deeper, a lot deeper actually. The person identifies himself or herself in terms of their sexual attraction and organizes his mental constructs around them. Therefore, the person has difficulty establishing healthy relationships with both genders, but it alwasy drawn to be more attentive and intimate with one gender over the other. Even when the person is not actively havin sex, this difficulty establishing meaningful and respectful relationships with both genders makes him or her an unqualified candidate for the priesthood or religious life.

Though the Church has not written a formal declaration on the subject, we follow the same rule for the admission of heterosexuals to holy orders or to religious life. There are some heterosexual people who do lack a healthy affect. The best example that I can offer is the super macho. This is the man who has difficulties relating to women as equal partners in society and in the faith. Such a person may even tend to be homophobic. This person must also be disqualified from religious life or holy orders.

In essence, what we’re looking at when we study a candidate is for a well balanced personality capable of having meaningful relationships with both genders and capable of exercising discipline over his/her sexual responses to triggers.
Beautifully said. It’s all in the balance. And while you didn’t happen to mention it, I will add that those who are not macho-heterosexual but what we used to call “over-sexed” or “Ladies’ men” (attracted in the extreme to women) also find themselves in trouble in the priesthood due to the difficulty of the chaste/celibate lifestyle: the strain it would put on such an individual (has put on such individuals) to be essentially at odds with his apparent nature and apparent calling to fulfill God’s plan partly through his sexuality.
 
I have better things to do that look at vulgar TV shows.

But obviously SATC has an agenda, typical of most popular entertainments. And that agenda is NOT positive towards anybody’s church.

Actually the “stereoptyical homosexual manners” are nothing more than an act (called “camping,” btw). A woman can do them and clearly NOT be acting like a woman (that is, effeminate), but a stereotyical gay man.

And you know what they say about stereotypes.

And what do you mean by “acquired affections”? Most homosexuals (of either gender) I know NEVER had romantic, erotic, or similar feelings for anyone of the opposite sex.
I wonder what “agenda” priests have who act like characters in vulgar TV shows?

All I know is that it’s disgusting…
 
No. I’m not talking about “tenderness and empathy.” I am talking about acquired affections that are disgusting.

I have met more than one priest (a far higher percentage than the world I live in) who acted VERY effeminate in stereotypical homosexual manners and it’s a huge turn-off. A horrid turn-off. For examples take at look at the characters “Stanford Blatch” and “Anthony Marentino” on Sex and the City.
When you think about it, though, these are affectations that are just as annoying in heterosexual women. It isn’t that the person is being effeminate or feminine that is annoying. It’s that he or she is indulging in eccentric behavior meant to call attention to himself or herself. Even if the person is self-less–and perhaps especially if the person is self-less–the behavoior is still extremely self-centered. That is why it gets old so quickly.

For instance, if a person uses an exaggerated accent, it doesn’t matter if they’re using a lisp and saying “darling” and “fabulous” every third word or if they are pretending to be Sherlock Holmes or Mr. Spock or someone from the “Hahvahd” Class of 1930. In the absence of an extreme affection for the person or knowledge that there is an honest reason for them to talk like that, the desire to smack them can become intense, and the desire to get away from them almost certainly will be overwhelming. You really, really have to like a person to let them get away with that.

That kind of self-indulgence is problematic in a priest, forget what flavor of affectation is chosen. It isn’t the sexual orientation that is the problem, but the self-centered eccentricity.
 
When you think about it, though, these are affectations that are just as annoying in heterosexual women. It isn’t that the person is being effeminate or feminine that is annoying. It’s that he or she is indulging in eccentric behavior meant to call attention to himself or herself. Even if the person is self-less–and perhaps especially if the person is self-less–the behavoior is still extremely self-centered. That is why it gets old so quickly.
The thing is you can’t assume that that kind of behaviour is an affectation. My friend is engaged to a guy who I would have sworn was gay had I met him under different circumstances. He’s very effeminate and I don’t for a minute think it’s an affectation, it’s just who he is. Having spent time with him I now are sure he’s straight and this is certainly not something he’s ‘put on’.
 
Those of us who do formation work are required to help sort out between deep seated homosexual tendencies and same-sex attraction. They are not the same thing.

I use this simple method, but it actually works. Our bodies do not know that our souls and minds are Catholic. Our libido may respond to members of either sex. This is an attraction. If it responds to your own sex, it’s a homosexual attraction and it it responds to the opposite sex, it’s heterosexual attraction.

A deep seated homosexual tendency is a little deeper, a lot deeper actually. The person identifies himself or herself in terms of their sexual attraction and organizes his mental constructs around them. Therefore, the person has difficulty establishing healthy relationships with both genders, but it alwasy drawn to be more attentive and intimate with one gender over the other. Even when the person is not actively havin sex, this difficulty establishing meaningful and respectful relationships with both genders makes him or her an unqualified candidate for the priesthood or religious life.

Though the Church has not written a formal declaration on the subject, we follow the same rule for the admission of heterosexuals to holy orders or to religious life. There are some heterosexual people who do lack a healthy affect. The best example that I can offer is the super macho. This is the man who has difficulties relating to women as equal partners in society and in the faith. Such a person may even tend to be homophobic. This person must also be disqualified from religious life or holy orders.

In essence, what we’re looking at when we study a candidate is for a well balanced personality capable of having meaningful relationships with both genders and capable of exercising discipline over his/her sexual responses to triggers. You cannot do away with the sexual triggers. That’s a given. But you must have the internal discipline to respond to them without a struggle. If these triggers create a struggle for the person, then the feelings can safely be deemed to be deep seated. In charity, we do not want to place anyone in a situation of greater struggle than what he already deals with in daily life.

I hope this helps.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
So if a person is able to exercise self-control over his same sex attraction and is thus able to have healthy relationships with both genders, he can be ordained and hence not automatically excluded? Is this policy the general policy practiced in US seminaries? So “deep-seated tendencies” would refer to a difficulty in exercising self-control over his same sex attraction?

Thanks
 
The thing is you can’t assume that that kind of behaviour is an affectation. My friend is engaged to a guy who I would have sworn was gay had I met him under different circumstances. He’s very effeminate and I don’t for a minute think it’s an affectation, it’s just who he is. Having spent time with him I now are sure he’s straight and this is certainly not something he’s ‘put on’.
There is such a thing as being effeminate, and it is not necessarily connected with being homosexual, any more than being a manly-seeming woman is. Having a certain voice type, a certain way of moving, a boyish face, or other individual ways of moving your body or reacting to situations is another thing. I meant that there is also such a thing as gay affectations, just as there are intelligentsia affectations, athletic affectations, red-neck affectations, regional affectations, and all sorts of other affectations that, whether consciously or not, are chosen with the goal of fitting rather loudly into some group stereotype.

Affectations are learned, and can be replaced with other habits, if the person is so inclined.
 
Maybe not but it’s a repulsive trait in any man…
Personality is determined partly by nature and partly by nurture. Effeminism is a genetic personality trait and is part of one’s temperament. Whether you regard it as repulsive or not, it’s part of the individual’s makeup. There are many heterosexuals who display effeminate traits.
 
So if a person is able to exercise self-control over his same sex attraction and is thus able to have healthy relationships with both genders, he can be ordained and hence not automatically excluded? Is this policy the general policy practiced in US seminaries? So “deep-seated tendencies” would refer to a difficulty in exercising self-control over his same sex attraction?

Thanks
NeedAnswers, I’m sure that Brother JR will respond, but your last sentence (question) is i.m.o. less than what he explained. Deep-seated would refer not specifically to physical self-control, but to a profound single-minded orientation to psychological intimacy with males as a governing preference. That would (does, I’ve seen it in such men) make it difficult to relate justly, equally, openly, with Christian affection to females in a parish. Ironically, this also, chaste or not, is in direct opposition to the intended freedom that embraced celibacy is meant to confer as a grace upon ordained men. Fr. John Corapi (I’m sure you’ve heard him) speaks often about the efficacy of grace being dependent on the disposition of one receiving the available grace. If psychologically one is cut off from half of the human race by virtue of a deep-seated preference for one gender and an apparent inability to overcome that, there’s no use in vowing oneself to God and hoping for the graces of ordination and the spiritual benefits of celibacy to compensate for such internal opposition.

Celibacy, when one is disposed to receive its effects, enables one – along with charity – to love male & female equally and to see all human beings as worthy of love in themselves, rather than mainly as love-objects relative to the ego.
 
Personality is determined partly by nature and partly by nurture. Effeminism is a genetic personality trait and is part of one’s temperament. Whether you regard it as repulsive or not, it’s part of the individual’s makeup. There are many heterosexuals who display effeminate traits.
That may well be true but I’ll never have another one as my pastor again.
 
So if a person is able to exercise self-control over his same sex attraction and is thus able to have healthy relationships with both genders, he can be ordained and hence not automatically excluded? Is this policy the general policy practiced in US seminaries? So “deep-seated tendencies” would refer to a difficulty in exercising self-control over his same sex attraction?

Thanks
Before responding to your question, let’s refer to the original document. Someone posted the link. The rule applies to deep seated homosexual tendencies, not to sexual orientation. Sexual orientation is briefly mentioned in the document. Actually the document quotes the CCC. At this time, it is believed that same sex orientation is a disorder I say at this time, because it is not a statement of faith. The Church is speaking based on the scientific knowledge that it has to date. But we must remember that if you put 100 psychologists and psychiatrists in a room, you will have 250 theories about sam sex attractions. The Church tries to avod speaking in clinical terms. When she says “disordered” she’s speaking in moral terms. What she is saying is that such an attraction, if followed, will lead to sin. That’s what makes it disordered. It can only lead to sin, if you succumb to it. Whereas a heterosexual attraction can also lead to sin, if it is followed outside of the marriage bed, but if followed within the marriage bed, it leads to great graces. While there is a disordered end and a virtuous end to heterosexual attractions, from which man must choose, there is no virtuous choice in the same sex attraction. If you choose to act on it, the only result will be serious sin. I hope that helps clear up the use of the term disordered. It’s not a clinical or medical term. It’s a moral one.

Now, to answer your question. If the bishop of secular seminarians or the major superior of religious men or women concludes that the person’s attractions are not an impairment to healthy relationships with both genders, are not an impairment to fulfilling one’s role in the Church, are not an impairment to living a celibate life, are not an impairment to living a chaste life in the case of religious, are not an impairment to living in community in the case of religious (diocesan priests do not vow chastity nor live in community), then the bishop or the major religious superior may call a man or woman to holy orders or to religious vows.

The law is not a universal mandate that bishops and major superiors of religious must admit anyone to religious life or holy orders. The Church, even the pope, does not have the authority to decided who the bishop or the religious superior calls to either holy orders or religious vows. Christ speaks only through the local bisohp or in the caes of a religious order, through the major superior. He speaks through no one else, not even the pope. This is an established part of the faith of the Church.

If we read the document very carefully, it mentions that only the bishop or the major superior have the authority to approve an ordination. It does not give this authority to anyone else. What this means on the topic of this thread is that the bishop, in the case of secular men, and the religious superior, in the case of consecrated men, have full discretionary power to decide if someone can live a healthy life as a priest or religious or both.

Therefore, it is reasonable to believe that the criteria used to determine whether one has deep seated homosexual tendencies or not is going to vary from one bishop to another or from one religious superior to another. The only criteria that the Church has given for universal application is the ability to have healthy relationships with both genders and the ability to assume the role that comes with holy orders. How does one define healthy relationships or appropriate affective discipline to assume the role of the deacon or priest? The Church has not defined that for us. Each bishop and superior must define that for himself. Unfortunately, no one can help them, because Christ speaks only to them and through them. Even those of us who are involved in formation cannot helpf. The most that we can do is recommend that some be admitted or not. Ours is just a recommendation and we are not allowed to tell why we make that recommendation. We are bound to silence, because as formators we are spiritual directors. Spiritual directors have the same bond to silence as confessors in matters of sin. In other words, I can’t tell my superior that he cannot allow a brother to make vows or to become a priest because he has had gay sex, if that brother revealed it to me in direction. All I can do is to try to persuade the person from going on. Thjis too is in the document.

It’s very complicated.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
 
NeedAnswers, I’m sure that Brother JR will respond, but your last sentence (question) is i.m.o. less than what he explained. Deep-seated would refer not specifically to physical self-control, but to a profound single-minded orientation to psychological intimacy with males as a governing preference. That would (does, I’ve seen it in such men) make it difficult to relate justly, equally, openly, with Christian affection to females in a parish. Ironically, this also, chaste or not, is in direct opposition to the intended freedom that embraced celibacy is meant to confer as a grace upon ordained men. Fr. John Corapi (I’m sure you’ve heard him) speaks often about the efficacy of grace being dependent on the disposition of one receiving the available grace. If psychologically one is cut off from half of the human race by virtue of a deep-seated preference for one gender and an apparent inability to overcome that, there’s no use in vowing oneself to God and hoping for the graces of ordination and the spiritual benefits of celibacy to compensate for such internal opposition.

Celibacy, when one is disposed to receive its effects, enables one – along with charity – to love male & female equally and to see all human beings as worthy of love in themselves, rather than mainly as love-objects relative to the ego.
Spoken like an excellent theologian. 👍

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
 
That may well be true but I’ll never have another one as my pastor again.
We have to be very careful here to be gentle with people, regardless of our emotional reactions. There was a time when white people would not have a black priest in their parish. Some people actually said that the idea of receiving the Eucharist from black hands turned their stomach and they refrained from going to communion.

So, we don’t want to take such a strong position, just because our psychological reaction is negative. We must be gentle with ourselves and remind ourselves that our psychological reactions are neither moral or immoral. They are what they are. They are reactions. Some people react negatively to effeminate males, to blacks, to the handicap, to foreign accents, to a million things.

What is moral or immoral is how far we allow those reactions to take us. If we indulge them to the point where we reject a person becaues “this person’s exterior presentation makes me sick” then we commit a great sin against charity. The CCC is very clear on the importance of treating gay people with love, justice and openness. The same rules apply to any other human being.

If my gut reaction to an effeminate man or a butch like woman is distressing to me, I must gently remind myself that I do not have to follow my gut. Making the choice to ignore my psychological reaction may be a great act of charity on my part and a source of grace for me.

On the other hand, I must also remind myself that I must avoid sin. If I know that I am not yet at that spiritual level where I can impose charity over my emotional reaction, then I must choose what is good. The good would be to avoid the person so as not to sin against him or her.

The object of the spiritual life is to remain at peace so that we may hear the voice of God in the silence of the soul. When we are angry, distressed, rebelling against someone or something, it is very hard to hear God’s loving whisper.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
 
Re Post 22:

I’d have to search the docs, and there were a number. There were, for example, a number of surveys done inside seminaries in the late '90’s to early '2000’s regarding the proclivities among seminarians, particularly those who had recently joined. We’re talking orientations here. Remember I said that a “number” of them (not 90-100% of the 60-75% figure) were acting out, not that 60-75% of all seminarians were. However, of those that were not – and I can tell you because so many of my close friends and classmates were seminarians – among those I knew they were very “out” about representing themselves as Having a Gay Identity, and about being activists in various gay causes, including marching in Gay Pride parades, etc.

But the 60-75% figure was a national U.S. figure, not particular to my region, my circle-of-associates, etc. But in my region I had a number of close straight male friends who specifically said they did not want to answer their internal call precisely because they didn’t want to enter houses where The Gay Culture was paramount. I had read similar reports elsewhere.

The problem of being non-chaste is certainly not limited to one orientation or another, obviously. And the situation of some straight priests acting out while other straight priests in the same house are remaining chaste has always in times past & present been a sore point between/among priests and has affected morale, naturally. It’s just that one rarely finds a straight priest who enters the seminary with the express primary or secondary purpose to “celebrate his heterosexual identity” by being an advocate for heterosexuality and maybe (wink,wink) do a little on the side.

I strongly agree with post 21. Effeminate does not equal gay, in orientation or in practice.
With all due respect, Elizabeth, it’s not appropriate to make a claim with such broad implications and then effectively ask us to take your word for it. If you have links to online documentation, or you are in possession of documents of some sort – either of which would be fine if you intend to substantiate your claim – then please share them. In any case, what you remember reading and the statements of a few friends of yours amount to hearsay, as they are not authoritative and do not speak to the experience of others.

For instance, I knew a few seminarians in college who were drunkards; am I to extrapolate from that experience that the majority of seminarians are drunkards?

I respectfully suggest that you retract your previous statement if you are not able/willing to substantiate it.

Peace,
Dante
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top