Another great post, #97. (The attractions work mutually. Only, it’s not difficult for me to understand “why,” as JR says. Attraction has pragmatic value in the biological world – beyond the sexual act.)
I had not thought about the practical side of this at all, bu I believe that you may be on to something there. I work in the world of aboriton and Respect Life. Most of my work is with men, because it’s practical. The fathers gravitate more toward the brothers than they do toward our female staff. I do believe that there is a gender issue in ministry that can work both ways.
I also believe that part of the problem has more to do with the way that we raise boys today than with same sex attraction. SSA attraction has existed among the cleryg nad in religious life for 2000 years. Contrary to public belief, it was never a criteria for ordination or for profession as a religious. People never thought in terms of separating same sex attaction from same sex activity. It was always assumed that if you were active with the opposite sex you were hetero sexual. We know tha was not the case. I’m alway sreminded of Jane Austin’s Sense and Sensibility when he spies her husband with one of his eployees. This was not uncommon at all. These men were not considered gay because they had wives. Nonetheless, boys were raised to be leaders in the community, lovers, hunters (providers), and warriors (protectors). Whether they had SSA or not, they were all reaised to fulfill the same role in society. We have allowed th sexual attrraction to determine the male role in society. In part it is because it during the 1970s to earl 1990s it was convenient to be newly emerging lberated woman. She later found out that it was not so convenient when she found herslef runnin single parent homes indefinitely, as opposed to women who ran their homes alone were their husband were away, with the assurance that they would return. In the end, this social experiment failed miserably for men and women.
I know this from two personal experiences. I am a formator of a religious community and I do fatherhood education for Respect Life. The feminized man is both a novice in a religious order or a thug ont he street. And most of the time he is neither affeminate nor gay. He is feminzied. He has learned to act and empathize with the adult females who have dominated his life This man is a poor candidate for priesthood, religious life and marriage. He lacks the social development necessary to engage with both genders in a healthy way. He believes that he is only a man in bed. Some believe that even in bed they cannot fulfill that role, they opt out. But they still have sexual attratrions to one gender or another. They may feel that they need to be nurtured by a man, because they don’t have that experienced. This is where they attach themselves to other men in very unhealth relationsips that may lead to sexual activity.
As a formatior of religious, in a Church where the bisohps and the laity do not seem to care whether my brothers are gay or not, because only 1 in 30 is going to be a priest, I have to figure this out on my own. I don’t mind doing that, except it would be nice to have more literature and more workships on this phenomenon for those who are going to live in community. The priests mentioned in John XXIII’s and Benedict XVI’s statement are not consecrated men living in community. Both popes were talking about their own men.
I attended a workshop with Fr. Benedict G. and Archbishop Timothy Dolan of NY.; Fr. Benedict, being a religious, complained to the presenter that none of the workshop helped te formators of religious men. The priest who was leading the workshop, a secular priest, looked at us in the crowd and said, “no one ever thought about it.” At this point, Archbishop Dolan smiled and said, Today, they have become the forgotten members of the Church. Not only do we not have anything to offer them by way of gudiance, but we bishops, diocesan clergy and laity act as if they were poor relations whom we would like to keep as far as possible so as not to help.
His honesty was very touching. But more importantly what I found interesting is that everone wanted to take care of the priests, but ot one remembered that this is not a priestly problem. It’s a human problem. The question is how do we help human beings who with SSA who want to enter eithe ether the priesthood or the consecrated life of religion If truth be told, religious brothers have a community life, whereas secular priests do not have one. They need not live together nor do they need to even shaer anything, not even the peanut butter and jelly in the fridge. A rectory is basically a hosue shared by several bachelors who run inot each other.
Religious pray, play, eat, work, meet, retreat, attend mass, do adoration, wake up, go to sleep, take a showe, shave, clean their house, take vacations, go on retreat and attend meetings and celebrations as oen family. There is a lot of tiem spent together. I never thought that I would have to wait for a shower stall with several other guys. But that’s how we do it. You line up and wait. If we were diocesan, each would have his own bathroom. That’s why it’s nice when diocesans leave a place and the bishop asks religiosu to move in. You always get your own bathroom.

Unless they were too cheap to remodel the house.

LOL.
Fraternally,
Br. JR, OSF
