priesthood for women?

  • Thread starter Thread starter water
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this thread is still being read when I get back home I will post the title of a book that covers this in high detail.
Sorry for slowness but here’s the title

Women in the Priesthood?
A systematic Analysis in the Light of the Order of Creation and Redemption by Manfred Hauke


I recommend people to read it, the work is approx 500 pages long so it is very thorough. It was first printed in 1988; when I asked if there were any more recent works the response was that the matter has been settled by the vatican so I would not find much out there. After reading the book I understood more precisely why that is.
 
I can’t believe that no one has pointed out the defining fact that seals it — priests are acting in the place of Christ, Christ was a man. End of debate. A woman can not be a man. Period. It’s all so simple, I don’t see why it’s this big debate over scripture, context, history, blah blah blah. :rolleyes:

~Liza
The fact is that we humans can not comprehend the mind of God and therefore can not expect to understand everything as he does. God sees the big picture and for whatever reason he chose to create his only child as a male. Because of this priests are males.

Hopefully one day we will all get the opportunity to ask him the ‘whys’ of such things.
 
I voted “no,” because that is the Church’s definitive answer on this subject (CCC 1577).

Also, I’d like to point out that nobody — female or male — has any “right” to receive the sacrament of Holy Orders (CCC 1578).
 
You should be a moderator, or a playgound supervisor.:rolleyes:
It is ironic that if someone offers an popinion backed with fact or a factual statemnet you attack them as not letting others air thier opinions. But as the saying goes, don’t let the facts get in the way. Yes these are forums and it is important to note that they are CATHOLIC forums so some opinions are overriden by the Truth of the Church. Bottom line, stop picking on people and add something inteligent.
Female ordination is one of those areas that folks think private opinion and private judgement may override truth. It is like claiming 2+2=5 because I think it is nice even though the truth shows differently.
 
Paul lived in a patriarchal society that didn’t value women as much as it should have?
So it was just an accident that God sent his Son to a patriarchal society? Peraps he should have waited unti NOW was formed before he sent him?
 
A forum is place to exchange ideas in a respectful and mature manner…
This forum is also a place where people come to learn about the Church as started by Christ.

You can’t speak falsely about the Faith, it may lead people away from the Truth. Christ teaches how to live, love and worship through the Faith. Our personal opinions to the contrary of his teachings matter very little to Christ.

Are we here to do God’s will or our own?
 
The answer to the question as posted is only a personal opinion. Yes or no either way it is only an opinion.

The answer to the real question “Can a woman become a priest?” Is the reality and the answer is NO, it is not possible.
I totally AGREE wit this!!!
 
This poll does not show why women cannot be a priest in the Christian Religion. The choice I had to make in this poll IS NOT why a woman cannot be a priest. I voted no, of course but Jesus choosing only men for ministry is not the ACTUAL reason why women cannot be priests.

It is because Jesus Christ is a man and the priest is “Alter Christus” and acts “In Persona Christi” at Mass. Jesus Christ is a male person- the priest says, “This is my body”. The priest cannot be female for this very truth- Jesus Christ is a man.

Ken
 
The Passover Seder is not (and never was) exclusive to men only.
God’s peace be with you~
The Church says that she can’t ordain women because Jesus didn’t.

So how come they can receive the Eucharist? Jesus only gave that to men.
 
The answer to the question as posted is only a personal opinion. Yes or no either way it is only an opinion.

The answer to the real question “Can a woman become a priest?” Is the reality and the answer is NO, it is not possible.
Do you truly mean that this poll will not affect in any way the official Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church?

I feel a bit disenfranchised.
 
40.png
Potato1:
Women can’t be priests for the logistics of the Mass, I already feel that the homilies are too long, too mushy and dont have enough substance. Imagine the length of Mass with women priests! 😃
I would see these as arguments in favor of women priests–no one appreciates efficiency and can can make her point better than a busy, multi-tasking woman, especially a mother! (Ohhh married women priests…now I really gone and opened a can of worms!) 😃
 
So mothers don’t have authority over their male children?

Home schooling mothers are in some way sinful?

Does this mean that parishes shouldn’t have female DRE’s or RCIA instructors?

I don’t think that dog hunts.

The position of those who quote or rely on that text would be stronger if​

the CC had not itself weakened its position
  • by naming two women as doctors of the Church in 1970 (despite the previous traditional opinion that ordination was required for a saint to be a doctor)
  • by allowing women to read at Mass - something previously allowed only to clerics
  • if there had not been many women in authority as abbesses: St. Hild of Whitby was not a man.
    So invoking tradition won’t work either - or rather, it works only if one is selective, & invokes it as authoritative to support a position one has arrived at on other grounds. That is not how historical questions - and this issue is in part one of historical evidence - are decided. It would be more logically consistent (& honest) to invoke the purely dogmatic argument that the Pope says “No”. But that has the weakness that, though it can end a discussion, it also ends all discussion of historical arguments on both sides.
So which reason is to be the decisive one:

Non-ordination because the Pope says “No” [the dogmatic argument]

or

Non-ordination because the historical evidence is considered to say “No” [the argument from historical evidence] ?

Poor argument in defence of a theological position is not only irrational - it is for that reason unconvincing. So it is irrational to expect those unimpressed by it to be convinced. But St. Thomas says this much better, in the Contra Gentes Book 1.
 
This thread had drifted totally off topic and has been extensively pruned.
If it drifts again it will be closed.
MF
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top