Priests' assignments

• Thread starter Thread starter liebchen77
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

liebchen77

How long does a priest usually serve in a parish church? If it is a short time, what is the reason? Why doesn’t he remain in one church for his lifetime?

thanks!

a newly ordained priest usually serves as an assistant in a parish, for several years to gain pastoral experience, often moving frequently so as to get at least some familiarity with the whole diocese. When the bishop judges he is ready (or even sooner given the shortage of priests in many places) he is appointed pastor of a parish. the actual rules differ from diocese to diocese, but common rule is 3 years for the first assignment, when it is common to move them to another parish, according to the needs of the diocese. there may be an option to stay for another 3 years if he requests it. The next pastoral assignment is usually 6 years, and may be renewed for another 6 year term.

priests are moved by the bishop who is the only one in possession of all the knowledge required to balance the needs of the various parishes, and the character of the priests themselves.

in this diocese if a pastor is in the middle of a capital or building campaign he will not be moved without an urgent reason.

In our diocese a newly ordained is assigned to a parish for 5 years, unless there is a vary good reason to move him earlier (our last newbie left after 3 years to go for further study). After that they are assigned for 6 year terms but that also can change if necessary and they can apply for 2 year extensions… Pastors are assigned 6 year terms with the possibility of staying on an additional 6.

Hi,

I am a 55yr old divorced man, have 4 older boys ans a sincere desire to become a Priest, serve the Lord and others. Is there any hope?

I have been told I am too old. But with so few Priests?

A servent of Christ!

Patrick

Hi,

I am a 55yr old divorced man, have 4 older boys ans a sincere desire to become a Priest, serve the Lord and others. Is there any hope?

A servent of Christ!

Patrick
Read this: thecollarbook.com/
it’s about the churches late start program and some older men who went thru it.

How long does a priest usually serve in a parish church? If it is a short time, what is the reason? Why doesn’t he remain in one church for his lifetime?

thanks!
To the last part: it’s practical. Not all priests are equal. Somebody wise decided that there should be a rotation so that the laity experience a variety of priests in their lives, which minimizes the potential for a personality clash (or worse) to drive people out of the church. Similarly, extremely good priests get the chance to influence a greater number of people this way.

People usually agonize over the policy when losing a beloved priest. Sometimes the same people thank God when another is (finally) transferred.

Hi,

A servent of Christ!

Patrick
55 is young! Here is a 75 year old grandfather who just got ordained. He was rejected by two dioceses due to age before Saginaw accepted him.

saginaw.org/blog/post/63

Do you have an anulment? If so, you should talk to the Saginaw diocese. I believe that they have another man around 60 currently in seminary too.

Please keep us updated on your journey. God bless you.

Hi to all of you!

Thank you for all your kind words! I know that if Christ wants me to be a Priest I will!

I was not married in a church, just a Justice of the Peace. It is so ironic, my marriage was broken up by a Priest, that became to involved with my wife. He was my best friend. But I believe that our Lord will heal all wounds, and that if he wants me:thumbsup: to have that vocation, I will do everything in my power to fulfill it!

Peace and Love to all of you

Priests in my diocese serve for 7 years, and may stay on for an additional 7 per the request of a parish council. The Bishop has final say and will sometimes disregard the Parish councils wishes if he feels the priest is needed elsewhere more. Sometimes new Priests will be thrown into a parish as head pastor, but usually if this happens the diocese will hire a part time pastoral administrator for the first little bit to help them learn the ropes of running a parish or they will have a priest at a neighboring parish assist the new Priest.

Hi to all of you!

Thank you for all your kind words! I know that if Christ wants me to be a Priest I will!

I was not married in a church, just a Justice of the Peace. It is so ironic, my marriage was broken up by a Priest, that became to involved with my wife. He was my best friend. But I believe that our Lord will heal all wounds, and that if he wants me:thumbsup: to have that vocation, I will do everything in my power to fulfill it!

Peace and Love to all of you
Should be easy to have your attempt at marriage shown to have been invalid then…if you haven’t already done so…but this will need to be documented with the Diocese. Talk to your parish priest and he should be able to put the proper paperwork through. After that, get with the Diocesan director of vocations to see how to proceed further. As was previously stated, if turned down by your Diocese, check into other Dioceses or into one/some of the Orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back