Thanks Chef:
John 20:21-23 “Jesus said to them again, ‘Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.’ And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.’”
…This was my main point of reference. What I wondered was the practice of the Apostles ordaining 'lesser apostles’ (if that’s the right terminology to use). I.e. the Apostles were bishops. They then lay on hands and ordain priests.
So to go to the early church- would the Apostles- say Peter, Paul; appoint priests in early parishes? There must have been a leader appointed in the new ‘parishes’ to celebrate Mass?
Briefly–I realize this doesn’t directly answer your question, but I offer it for context: I have written this often (as part of, and in the context of an apologetic I prepared in response to
sola scriptura)–
all of the Apostles were also disciples; but not all of the disciples, were Apostles. The Bible makes a pretty clear distinction there. ‘The Apostles’ refers to ‘the 12’ (then minus Judas, then plus his successor, Mathias, then plus St. Paul)–basically, a hierarchy.
The Apostles are the first bishops (as you noted); the priests, their helpers.
The sacrifice, as noted above, comes from Judaic tradition. The Last Supper, for instance, was a celebration of the Passover–which was commemorated with the sacrifice of a lamb, since the blood of a lamb was spread above the doorways of the homes of the Jews (according to the instructions given to Mosses, by God, who of course, passed it on to the Jews), in order to signify to the angel of death–when God sent it through Egypt, as a warning to the Pharaoh–that this house was to be spared.
NB: I’m going off memory here…so if anyone feels inclined to correct me, please, by all means, do–you have my thanks in advance.
Christ’s sacrifice at Calvary, dispensed with the need or propriety of a ‘sacrificial lamb’–or rather, he became the sacrificial lamb–so we offer Him, up to God the Father, as ‘the sacrificial lamb’, through the Eucharist, in the Mass.
This btw, is why we have an altar in our churches. An altar, by definition, is a table, or any similar structure, upon which a sacrifice is made. Without a sacrifice…you don’t have an altar–you just have a table–or whatever you would use for an altar.
…and priests–by definition (again)–are people who conduct a sacrificial ceremony. Conducting a sacrifice, is what makes a person a priest. Whether they be Wiccan, or Satanic, or what have you–when they say they are a ‘X priest’–it is implied that they are conducting a sacrifice.
So Catholic priests, are priests, because they conduct, or lead, a sacrificial ceremony (i.e.–one in which a sacrifice is offered)–the [unbloody] sacrifice of the Mass.
FWIW.
PS–I know it sounds a bit ‘icky’ on the surface–a bit…off putting–certainly our separated brethren react that way–but this IS the Tradition that the Church Fathers inherited from THE Apostles–because it IS, the Faith that Christ passed on to them (the Apostles).